Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) any phil read fans? (Read 1193 times)
Jon P
Ex Member

any phil read fans?
04/29/07 at 19:03:21
Post Tools
the man is one of my all time hero's. my local shop owner knows how i feel about him.

anyone guess what the shop owner got in to sell me that is like phil read used to wear?

i know he didnt ride a bmw but you have to give the earl of speed some serious respect.

IP Logged

MrRiden
God Member

R65LS Phoenix, Arizona

Re: any phil read fans?
Reply #1 - 04/29/07 at 22:02:00
Post Tools
Read, Hailwood, Agostini, All legendary riders but perhaps somewhat lacking the recognition on this side of the pond that they enjoy in Europe. I was amazed to discover the super star status enjoyed by motorcycle racers in England as a scruffy club racer here in the states. Even Lawson, Spencer & Roberts might not be recognizable names to some. I am a fan of the TT races held on the Isle of Man and hope to see them in person before I... Anyway I am curious, Leathers, Goggles, Pudding bowl helmet?
                                   Georg Meier 1939 TT

Rich

"We can't stop here. This is bat country".
IP Logged

Jon P
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 04/30/07 at 10:01:16
Post Tools
those guys where crazy tough along with the american boardtrack racers. guys doing 100 mph on equipment that could hardly stop with little to no supension. i had ridden out on the isle, born and raised in the uk, learned how to ride on those crazy sheep trails they call roads (not all the roads are that bad, just the nice quite country roads where i learned to drive) for those wondering my dad was stationed a woodbridge ab and mildenhall ab. and later in my life i was stationed at mildenhall

being that no one guesses i bought a arai vector phil read helmet. that is the most i have ever spent. had a chance to ride with it yesterday.

IP Logged

SCJJR65
God Member

"Los, wir wollen fahrt!"
(Come on, let's ride!)

Reply #3 - 04/30/07 at 14:22:13
Post Tools
I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Ernst Henne, a test rider for BMW in the 1920s and 30s.  Here he is pictured in his aerodynamic helmet, which looks a lot like the Olympic cyclist's helmets of today, and a strange cone-shaped piece which was strapped to his butt, to aid in wind resistance.  His friends joked about him being a "Kegel Arsche" which roughly translates to "Conebutt" in English.

For those of you who don't know about the record Henne set, it goes like this:

An eight-year struggle for the world speed record on two wheels started in 1929. Ernst Henne began his successful series on August 25, 1929 with a speed of 128.7 mph. In September he improved his record to 134.2 mph, with further improvement to 137.3 mph exactly one year later. In the spring of 1931 he achieved 147.7 mph and in autumn, 151.4 mph. Often alternating with British rivals, BMW bettered the world record each year, finally setting up the world speed record of 173.3 mph in 1937.  This record stood until 1951.  BMW had the fastest motorcycle in the world.

henne.jpg ( 20 KB | Downloads )
henne.jpg

John in Greenville, SC
BMWMOA# 65877
1981 R65 "Bruno"
1984 R65 "Britta"
1999 R1200C Classic "Blackjack"
2003 R1200CL "The Boss"
1982 Honda GL500 "Boomer"
2003 R1200CL "The New Boss"

IP Logged

SCJJR65
God Member

"Los, wir wollen fahrt!"
(Come on, let's ride!)

Reply #4 - 04/30/07 at 14:23:49
Post Tools
Our local BMW club decided to use Ernst's likeness on our official club logo, and we all proudly call ourselves, "Conebutts"!   Wink

kegelarsche_logo_med.gif ( 20 KB | Downloads )
kegelarsche_logo_med.gif

John in Greenville, SC
BMWMOA# 65877
1981 R65 "Bruno"
1984 R65 "Britta"
2003 R1200CL "The Boss"

IP Logged

MrRiden
God Member

R65LS Phoenix, Arizona

Reply #5 - 04/30/07 at 20:31:42
Post Tools
That is one cool logo! I am fascinated by the early days of motorcycling and by the traditions that were born out of those days. I would love to have a patch / decal of your clubs logo because it just oozes class. As does the Phil Read (earl of speed) Helmet. Might have to toss my $98 special for a REAL helmet!

rich

IP Logged

Jon P
Ex Member

Reply #6 - 04/30/07 at 20:59:45
Post Tools
wow SCJJR65 that is some cool stuff there! and i to would love to get a club patch if i could. i would even join!

i love the history of motorcycles. here is one that it is a good movie if you dont try to make it a real timeline, the worlds fastest indian.

check out these guys. boardtrack racers! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6MySscEaNY
that is some crazy stuff. no brakes! direct drive!

IP Logged

SCJJR65
God Member

"Los, wir wollen fahrt!"
(Come on, let's ride!)

Reply #7 - 04/30/07 at 22:23:40
Post Tools
Well, guys, we are having some 3" stickers made up right now, which I'll let you know about as soon as they are done, in case anyone wants to buy one.  We also are getting more T-shirts printed with the logo on the back in color like the one I posted.  It is a neat logo, huh?   Wink

John in Greenville, SC
BMWMOA# 65877
1981 R65 "Bruno"
1984 R65 "Britta"
2003 R1200CL "The Boss"

IP Logged

MrRiden
God Member

R65LS Phoenix, Arizona

Reply #8 - 04/30/07 at 22:26:14
Post Tools
SOLD! pm me please when they are set to go
Rich

IP Logged

Mick
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/01/07 at 20:10:10
Post Tools
I once stood on Phil Read's foot when he was officiating at a Moped Mayhem meeting in Aberdeenshire, Scotland.  I was only in the portacabin to register my 'team'.  He didn't seem to mind.  I said 'sorry'.  He said, 'you're alright mate'.  Not much of a claim to fame, but is anyone impressed?  He never raced a moped.  I did.  He just waved the flag at the end, keeping his toes well clear of the finish line, I imagine.  Not that I was anywhere near the flag!

IP Logged

msbuck
God Member

I Love R65s 2!

Reply #10 - 05/02/07 at 23:23:56
Post Tools
Great story, Mick!

Jon P.  - what a fantastic video!  There was a display at the Barber Motorsports Museum in Alabama that showed a portion of the wooden track.  I had never seen anything like it - they had an Indian very similar to the one in the video as well.  This is the first time I've seen any footage of the actual races.  Amazing!!

I love the old stuff as well -  and I love the movie, "The World's Fastest Indian"...  Wink

Ada
'84 R65
'98 Laverda Ghost Strike
'06 Lifan LF200-GY
Willow Springs, North Carolina

IP Logged

thrang
Ex Member

Anymore than two cylinders
is greedy!

Reply #11 - 05/04/07 at 09:34:39
Post Tools
Phil Read and Geoff Duke are two of my all time heros. Was lucky enough to spend an hour and a couple of beers with Geoff at the 95 TT after we got chatting when I worked the TT MAG stall.

Running over Phil Read at a Moped Mayhem... Heheheheh! Something to tell your kids about  with out doubt the most fun you can have on a 50!  I was part of the Sunderland Polytechnic Motorcycle Club team from the early 1990's who kept on wrecking Simpson 50's...

geoff_duke1.jpg ( 50 KB | Downloads )
geoff_duke1.jpg
1981 BMW R65ls - The Bimbo
1981 BMW R65ls - the doner to keep above running.
2013 R1200r
1956 BSA A7 Shooting Star.

IP Logged

Indian
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 07/27/07 at 20:00:03
Post Tools
Some friends of mine bought the R75/5 that Hans Otto Butenuth rode to victory in the TT. A video of the bike can be downloaded at the 'Download' page at my site.

IP Logged

Dick Stilton
Ex Member

Reply #13 - 08/26/07 at 02:28:24
Post Tools
More of Joey Dunlop fan myself. With all due respect to the aforementioned riders and great as they were Joey was the only rider I know to have had over 50,000 people turn out to pay their respects at his funeral. Not only was he the greatest TT rider ever but a kind and modest man who did countless good works. Please take a moment to read his obituary.

http://www.ttwebsite.com/features/joeydunlop/

Regards

Dick

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint