Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) No skin on my paint (Read 1250 times)
montmil
God Member
In Memorial

No skin on my paint
04/15/09 at 09:56:05
Post Tools
Besides messing with motorcycles, I do a bit of woodworking. I prefer using oil-based finishes on the woodworking, bikes and cars. Don't chuckle... California is pushing legislature for aqueous-based (as in water) automotive paints. It never rains in California... you know the tune.

I hate wasting finish materials when they skin over in a half full can. Gets pricey. I have used a product sold through woodworking supplies that is an inert gas in a rattle can. Just before slamming the lid shut, a 3-4 second blast of Bloxygen is injected into the can. The gas settles over the surface of the liquid thereby keeping oxygen away from the paint, varnish, etc. It really works.

At ten bucks a can, I feel the Bloxygen is high priced. After chatting with a fellow woodworker, he shared that he uses a quick shot of propane from his torch bottle. That's what I'm now using and it works.

Safety warning & lawyerly stuff: Don't smoke when doing this. No open flames. Don't do this in your laundry room closet as you may gas yourself. Basically, take the same precautions you would do prior to breaking wind at the Christmas dinner table. Grin

I'm about to shoot color on the '83 R65 and a quart of color is the minimum buy. If I get sloppy, I may use half. At least I'll have some for future use that won't be dried in the can.

Monte

Monte Miller
Denton, TEXAS
1978 BMW R100S
1981 BMW R65
1983 BMW R65
1995 Triumph Trophy
1986 VW Cabriolet

IP Logged

Justin B.
YaBB Administrator

I love my Beemers

Re: No skin on my paint
Reply #1 - 04/15/09 at 11:45:36
Post Tools
Ozone killer!!!!!  I'm gonna tell Algore on ya...  Grin

Sounds interesting.  On my wood projects I normally use Deft for interior stuff and Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil on gun stocks...

Justin B.

2004 BMW R1150RT
1981 R100RT - Summer bike, NEKKID!!!
IP Logged

Ed Miller
God Member

Reply #2 - 04/15/09 at 11:58:04
Post Tools
My left over paint from my previous Triumph job went bad because it froze.  I didn't know you couldn't let it freeze, so now I'll have to store my paint in my library closet or something.  I get my paint at Napa and they will sell by the pint.  I don't really try to stock up but some left overs for any touch up jobs is nice.

Sure, you can mention a cabinet in the garage with a light bulb for warmth.  But guess when my power is most likely to go out?   Sad  House it is. 

I almost forgot:  I've read a pretty good review of the new water based paint in my Auto Restorer magazine, and I think Eastwood does or will be selling it.  Of course they recommend new guns etc.  I'll hold off until I have to switch.

Ed Miller
'81 r65
Falls City, OR

IP Logged

montmil
God Member
In Memorial

Reply #3 - 04/15/09 at 17:32:39
Post Tools
Ed Miller wrote on 04/15/09 at 11:58:04:
...I've read a pretty good review of the new water based paint in my Auto Restorer magazine, and I think Eastwood does or will be selling it.  Of course they recommend new guns etc.  I'll hold off until I have to switch.

Expect the commercial paint shops will get the hammer first. Of course, I'll have to stay mum on my painting projects less Justin tip off the Gore-man. Wink

I look for future tech questions such as, "Can I clear coat the tempra paint on my new R1200?"  Cheesy

My bride helped work the family dairy until she left for college. At school, said she felt spoiled getting to stay in bed until 6 am. Now the tree hugger-global warming-save the whales crowd have their mutual panties in a wad over the methane gas emitted from cows! Slap me...

Monte

Monte Miller
Denton, TEXAS
1978 BMW R100S
1981 BMW R65
1983 BMW R65
1995 Triumph Trophy
1986 VW Cabriolet

IP Logged

MrRiden
God Member

R65LS Phoenix, Arizona

Reply #4 - 04/17/09 at 20:51:26
Post Tools
montmil wrote on 04/15/09 at 17:32:39:
Now the tree hugger-global warming-save the whales crowd have their mutual panties in a wad over the methane gas emitted from cows! Slap me...

You've never ridden by one of these on a summer day have you?

"We can't stop here. This is bat country".
IP Logged

montmil
God Member
In Memorial

Reply #5 - 04/18/09 at 07:53:44
Post Tools
[quote author=7C43635855545F310 link=1239807365/4#4 date=1240019486]You've never ridden by one of these on a summer day have you?quote]

I'd say Hereford, Texas -up in the Panhandle- has the richest aroma of money I've ever experienced. In Crane, Texas, it's the scent of raw oil. Here in Texas, we refer to these elements as all being a part of commerce.

Monte

Monte Miller
Denton, TEXAS
1978 BMW R100S
1981 BMW R65
1983 BMW R65
1995 Triumph Trophy
1986 VW Cabriolet

IP Logged

Justin B.
YaBB Administrator

I love my Beemers

Reply #6 - 04/18/09 at 08:55:03
Post Tools
Smell <> methane.  This goes back to the post I made about the wacko Brit pol who is suggesting Brits might need to wean themselves off beef due to too many cows in the country contributing adversely to the global warming (hoax) issue with their farts...

Justin B.

2004 BMW R1150RT
1981 R100RT - Summer bike, NEKKID!!!
IP Logged

montmil
God Member
In Memorial

Reply #7 - 04/18/09 at 15:03:03
Post Tools
Justin B. wrote on 04/18/09 at 08:55:03:
Smell <> methane.  This goes back to the post I made about the wacko Brit pol who is suggesting Brits might need to wean themselves off beef due to too many cows in the country contributing adversely to the global warming (hoax) issue with their farts...

EXACTLY  Smiley

Monte Miller
Denton, TEXAS
1978 BMW R100S
1981 BMW R65
1983 BMW R65
1995 Triumph Trophy
1986 VW Cabriolet

IP Logged

Masoon
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 04/28/09 at 06:32:40
Post Tools
Crythats great, i'll pass the tip onto the lads down the loco works, we have so many tins of skinned over.

IP Logged

Landlubber
Ex Member

Reply #9 - 05/08/09 at 23:13:44
Post Tools
Any inert gas put into the can will work, I have Argon in my workshop, so I use that always.

You can of course also seal the lid and turn the can upside down, that often solves the problem too.......yes, I did say seal the can.

IP Logged

montmil
God Member
In Memorial

Reply #10 - 05/09/09 at 06:34:15
Post Tools
Quote:
Any inert gas put into the can will work, I have Argon in my workshop, so I use that always.
You can of course also seal the lid and turn the can upside down, that often solves the problem too.......yes, I did say seal the can.

D'oh! You'll still have air in the can. The skin will just be on the other side of the liquid. It's not the seal quality that ruins the product. You're just messing with us, right?  Monte

Monte Miller
Denton, TEXAS
1978 BMW R100S
1981 BMW R65
1983 BMW R65
1995 Triumph Trophy
1986 VW Cabriolet

IP Logged

Landlubber
Ex Member

Reply #11 - 05/11/09 at 01:46:08
Post Tools
No, there is no skin usually, it could depend on the paint, but the lid leaking is the problem with most occurrences, it is only a minute bteathing of the lid, but it enables oxygen to get in, and the rest is history. Many paints are cured also by moisture, it is the moisture in the air that does the curing job, by eleiminating the changes in the air inside the can, most often it works 100%.

I am sure there would be cases where it is not so, but not generally. The lower the level of product the less chance of survival, but that too can be solved by decanting to smaller bottles with screw caps, and then inverting those when they are full.

IP Logged

Landlubber
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 05/11/09 at 01:47:24
Post Tools
The worst paints to keep alive are the isocyanated type of polyurethanes, the hardner packs go off, but the paint is OK. These are saved by decanting to smaller bottles as above

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint