Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Fuel injected R65 (Read 1750 times)
Sosyal
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Fuel injected R65
06/01/12 at 08:48:51
Post Tools
Hi all,

I've been a "silent" member to the group and forums till from February, this year.

Now I'm in a project of a "fuel injected R65" which I'm doing the fabrication while a friend is preparing the software and all the electronic stuff.

It was last week we could start the engine with injectors and got a stable idle. Now it's the time to connect the TPS, add a lambda sensor, put all the electronic stuff in a watertight box, update and enhance the software, find space for air filters, modify the fuel tank, locate the fuel pump.... after all done, park the bike to the garage for winter  Cheesy

I hope I can finish these details in the earliest and ride "Uber" before autumn.

As being new to these kind of forums I'm not sure if I can upload any photos of the "carburated" version of my bike. I'll try. By the way, any comments, opinions, experience is highly appreciated.

Greetings from Istanbul, Smiley
Ibrahim

DSC_0784.JPG ( 1749 KB | Downloads )
DSC_0784.JPG

Cheers,
Ibrahim

IP Logged

Bob_Roller
Global Moderator

GMT -7 Hours

Re: Fuel injected R65
Reply #1 - 06/01/12 at 09:09:32
Post Tools
Interesting modification, it's been brought up a few times here, but it seemed to be a formidible task, with nothing to go by as a guide .

Post more of what you used for throttle bodies and sensors, etc.......  !

Oh, by the way, welcome to the forum/madness Ibrahim !!!!!

'81 R65
'82 R65 LS  
'84 R65 LS
'87 Moto Guzzi V65 Lario
'02 R1150R
Riding all year long since 1993 .
I'll give up my R65, when they pry my cold dead hands from the handlebars !!!!!

IP Logged

Sosyal
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 06/01/12 at 10:08:19
Post Tools
Bodies are from an R850, bought on e-bay. They had original bosch injectors which provided too much fuel (approximately 300 cc/min) and replaced them with another bosch injector giving fuell around 160 cc/min.

We've got the ignition pulse from tacho first and later changed it to ICU. And started writing the software with the sequence of: write, try to ignite, fail, modify, try to ignite, fail, modify, try to ignite, fail... When getting the first signs/sounds of a start, it was the most exciting and nervous moment Shocked

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'll post all the process in a more ordered sequence. Here's a photo my buddy is calculating the amount of fuel injected. Note the "remote" fuel tank and the fan ready to cool the engine IF it starts.

calculation.jpg ( 125 KB | Downloads )
calculation.jpg

Cheers,
Ibrahim

IP Logged

Lucky_Lou
God Member

shoot first

Reply #3 - 06/02/12 at 01:59:43
Post Tools
You know what if it wasnt for guys like you we would still be living in caves.....i like the attitude "i will do this because i can" even if this doesnt work you (and we) will learn from it and embark on the next seemingly pointless exercise with a sense of hope....great stuff keep up the good work
I like the modified fuel tank next to the new battery you wont be taking the chair on the road with you though will you ? a 3 seater R65 that would be a first..... that said i am sure i saw a Ural one on the Top Gear Vietnam special, Jeremy Clarkson on a 1000 mile bike road trip hilarious
Lou
ps if you dont get top gear google ,or have a peep on utube oh and you you may just want to resize the photos down a bit/.........

Ask questions later
IP Logged

Sosyal
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 06/11/12 at 08:58:07
Post Tools
Lou, yes the first aim is to see if it will work but more important point is having FUN. Sometimes we're doing so simple and silly mistakes that we can't stop laughing at ourselves. Sure I don't share these moments in detail and my friends still believe that I'm a smart person Roll Eyes Talking about smart people, thanks for the warning about resizing the photos, now I can see why it takes hours to update these pictures Smiley

Ibrahim

Cheers,
Ibrahim

IP Logged

Herr Stig
Ex Member

Reply #5 - 06/11/12 at 15:05:01
Post Tools
Could you tell me what that rear tire model is?  Looks like it would work well on gravel roads.

IP Logged

Sosyal
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 06/19/12 at 06:37:46
Post Tools
The rear tire is made in Turkey under the brand INOUE. This is the exact 4:00x18 tire. I didn't want to use equivalent (i.e. 100x90/18 or 110x90/18) tire and really satisfied with the grip.

Cheers,
Ibrahim

IP Logged

Ed Miller
God Member

Reply #7 - 03/14/13 at 13:05:35
Post Tools
Any progress on this modification?  I'd like to see if it can get batter fuel mileage than it did with the Bings.

Ed Miller
'81 r65
Falls City, OR

IP Logged

montmil
God Member
In Memorial

Reply #8 - 03/15/13 at 12:08:48
Post Tools
Nine months since Ibrahim's last update on the FI R65.

Hopefully, his garage is not anywhere close to the Syrian border and Assad's cross-Turkish border "our bad" artillery rounds.

Monte Miller
Denton, TEXAS
1978 BMW R100S
1981 BMW R65
1983 BMW R65
1995 Triumph Trophy
1986 VW Cabriolet

IP Logged

Sosyal
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 03/19/13 at 09:07:10
Post Tools
Hi again everybody,

Yes, it's been a while until my last update. My garage is in Istanbul, far away from the Syrian border.

The project reached (almost) to the end. I'm planning to drive the bike to an annual camping union at April 23rd. During the last 9 months, I had to do my "boring" everyday business to earn the living, watch my little daughter growing (she's 18 months old now) AND work at the garage at night for the fabrication part. Me and buddy recently designed the controller unit and the components board. Today I received the board (PCB) and tonight we'll start installing the electronics. I hope we did not make any mistake Smiley

By the way, here is some photos, sorry they are not professional shootings but I believe you'll have an idea: http://www.flickr.com/photos/94158592@N03/sets/72157633036229410/

I will try to update the progress as much as frequently.

Cheers,
Ibrahim

Cheers,
Ibrahim

IP Logged

montmil
God Member
In Memorial

Reply #10 - 03/19/13 at 11:11:05
Post Tools
What a project! Very impressive. You lost this Luddite with, "...designing and producing the electronic board and software."

Those injectors are close to Bing sizes and you've even adapted the OEM air filter box. Nice.

Looking forward to your ride report before the winter hibernation. Smiley

Monte Miller
Denton, TEXAS
1978 BMW R100S
1981 BMW R65
1983 BMW R65
1995 Triumph Trophy
1986 VW Cabriolet

IP Logged

nhmaf
Global Moderator

Free at last, Free at
last!

Reply #11 - 03/19/13 at 23:18:47
Post Tools
Veery interesting!

From your PCB layout - are you using an Arduino shield/carrier for the processor?

Airhead #12178   BMWMOA #123173  BMWRA #33525  GSBMWR #563  1982 BMW R65LS  1978 BMW R100/7 1998 Kawasaki Concours

IP Logged

MR.E

Reply #12 - 03/20/13 at 06:36:58
Post Tools
like the idea.
interested to hear more.

Well done

Sleep tight princess, you'll always be riding with me XxX
IP Logged

Sosyal
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #13 - 03/22/13 at 11:07:59
Post Tools
Monte, you're right with the electronics and although I may be called a neo-luddist, unfortunately I need the technology to activate the injectors.

You also stated another thing which I pay the most attention, as much as possible: to keep the bike original with the minimum modification. I've only inserted a bushing to the intake to match with the injector bodies and placed the bodies between the original intake tubes and cylinder head. Simply remove the injectors, install the carbs, pull out the control unit relay and supply fuel... you can run it with the original setup.

montmil wrote on 03/19/13 at 11:11:05:
What a project! Very impressive. You lost this Luddite with, "...designing and producing the electronic board and software."

Those injectors are close to Bing sizes and you've even adapted the OEM air filter box. Nice.

Looking forward to your ride report before the winter hibernation. Smiley

Cheers,
Ibrahim

IP Logged

Sosyal
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #14 - 03/22/13 at 11:12:15
Post Tools
Hi nhmaf,

Electronics is not what I understand; my friend is doing hi-tech (!) works. I'm doing the design and fabrication. As of your question, the processor I bought is this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/320724597746?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m143...

nhmaf wrote on 03/19/13 at 23:18:47:
Veery interesting!

From your PCB layout - are you using an Arduino shield/carrier for the processor?

Cheers,
Ibrahim

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint