Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) I thought I should stop procrastinating (Read 4033 times)
Tony Smith
God Member

Graduate, Wallace and
Gromit School of Engineering

Re: I thought I should stop procrastinating
Reply #45 - 10/13/14 at 17:44:00
Post Tools
montmil wrote on 10/13/14 at 08:37:56:
Check those problematic OEM fuses?

Oh how I wish it were that simple.
The fuses are intact and the terminals are even moderately clean. I do have mini circuit breakers on order from China, when they arrive and are installed I will post photos. My thinking is that I have a wire(s) parted within the main harness itself. I am hoping that is not the case and am further hoping for a flash of insight as to what the problem might be.

My heading off yesterday without putting the screws back in the vacuum ports is further and redundant proof that I am not immune to doing dumb things.

Simple solution is that I will put a few hours aside this coming weekend and will trace the wiring through (that is after I recheck the bulbs themselves and the bulb sockets of course).http://www.bmwr65.org/htdocs/yabbfiles/Templates/Forum/default/smiley.gif

1978 R100RS| 1984 R65 | 1992 KLE500 | 2002 R1150GSA

IP Logged

Tony Smith
God Member

Graduate, Wallace and

Reply #46 - 10/13/14 at 17:50:05
Post Tools
MichaelSydney wrote on 10/13/14 at 06:36:27:
Well done! A good milestone in your progress, but the photos look very much like the ones you showed in post # 1 over 12 months ago!  Smiley

Thank you. But wash your mouth out..... There has been an awful lot of work and a lot of money tipped into the old girl. I regret even more keenly now that I did not strip the frame and have it and a stack of other parts blasted and repainted. Still I will do that next year once the KLE is up and running.

Meantime, aside from the electrical problems I whinged about in my earlier post, the only things I want to do before setting out at Christmas time is a new clutch, crank main seal and new final drive main seal. I have the main seal and I just received a final drive "kit" from motobins. I'll order a clutch plate later today and take a punt that the pressure diaphragm is OK (I was just so amazed that it freed up as easily as it did yesterday. I put it in gear, pulled the clutch in and verifed that it had not disengaged, I pushed back intendign simply to unload the gearbox so that I could change into neutral and it freed up.

MichaelSydney wrote on 10/13/14 at 06:36:27:
Nice to know that the old girl is so much healthier than when you started. Thanks for all the information in your thread so far.

well it runs.....That is a major difference.

IP Logged

Tony Smith
God Member

Graduate, Wallace and

READY FOR ROADWORTHY TEST AND REGISTRATION
Reply #47 - 10/18/14 at 20:49:56
Post Tools
Technically I should put the final drive seal kit through it, but the oil level is now so low in the final drive that it will not leak during the test. I am loathe to use the seal kit as I have a 32/10 final drive somewhere between the USA and here and I'd prefer to wait until it arrives and then use the kit on it if needed.

The final electrical problems where (for the benefit of anyone interested), no tail or brake light, and only the left front blinker was working.

Prior preliminary testing indicated that there was power to the brake light switches, the blinker relay and to the harness socket leading to the rear lights.

The blinker relay was marked with a GMH (General Motors Holden, a semi-indigenous auto manufacturer about to cease production). I could not remember if it was fitted when i bought the R65 or if i had swapped it out, for that matter I couldn't remember if the blinkers were working when I bought the bike - that was not a priority at the time.

I bought a new after-market blinker relay, just in case I paid extra for one that will work with LED lights - sadly i still had exatly one working blinker, although when I selected right blinker the relay made some rather horrid noises.

Because the job looked easier, I switched at this point to the tail/brake lights. I cleaned the terminals, taking the opportunity to fit the "innards" from the better condition tail light I bought form Germany. I also tested the power connecters back to the plug and socket at the front of the sub-frame and in the process discovered a lot of corrosion on the earth connector.

Cleaned that up and I had tail and brake lights.

Still no blinkers, pulled all the blinkers apart, cleaned the lamp connectors, replaced one lamp that looked dodgy and put back together. Yay, had LHS blinkers, but the RHS blinked once and then the relay resumed making horrid noises.

Penny dropped. Took handlebar switch off and blasted with contact cleaner, followed by CRC. all blinkers now work.

Wired a 4" LED light strip to the parking circuit and fitted below headlight.

Job done. refitted tool trays so I can carry tools and multimeter. Rang friend and by the time anyone reads this I will be off on a 100km test ride.

Let you know how that goes on return.

IP Logged

Tony Smith
God Member

Graduate, Wallace and

Well it survived a 130km ride.
Reply #48 - 10/19/14 at 00:50:57
Post Tools
Only snag was the RHS carb had a little piddle, fixed int he usual way.

Sadly it will not be registered tomorrow, I had hoped that a few good applications of the front brake would sufficiently free the brake pistons to move wrt to the seals. That didn't happen so I need a brembo rebuild before the roadworthy.

IP Logged

Tony Smith
God Member

Graduate, Wallace and

Reply #49 - 10/27/14 at 15:25:03
Post Tools
The fleet.

Still waiting for the Brembo seals - from the USA at $12.95 for the apparently rare 36mm calipers. The price beat the hell out if anything else around, particularly as the seller sensibly realizes that once he throws the new bolts and small tube of lubricant away (at my request) the rest fits nicely into a standard envelope and can be posted at letter rates.

Waiting, waiting..........

In the meantime I am riding it carefully to build up a few miles.

Lastly, a picture of our fleet of runners. Have a close look at the red bike - "one of these things is not like the other thing, one of these things is not the same". Ignoring the seating arrangement, and the twin discs, who can pick the major and significant difference between these two r65s?

P1070164.JPG ( 477 KB | Downloads )
P1070164.JPG
P1070166.JPG ( 472 KB | Downloads )
P1070166.JPG

IP Logged

Adrian

The Old Hairy Biker Sez...

Reply #50 - 10/27/14 at 22:40:57
Post Tools
Hnmmmmm - would it be the rocker covers by any chance  Wink

1984 R65 (860)

IP Logged

Tony Smith
God Member

Graduate, Wallace and

Reply #51 - 10/28/14 at 01:09:39
Post Tools
Adrian wrote on 10/27/14 at 22:40:57:
Hnmmmmm - would it be the rocker covers by any chance  Wink

In a word -no......The Repop peanut covers were a Christmas present to "her indoors" last year. I fail to see the fascination with peanut covers personally, other than (at least in the case of the ones I bought) they are a bit thicker than the "proper" ones and mask tappet noise a treat.

The difference is that the Red R65 was fitted with a 1985 R80 engine in 1987. If you look very carefully you will see that it is a bit wider than a "genuine" R65 (the black one). It used to be more obvious as the original R65 crash bars were still in place until late last year, the rocker covers were somewhat further outboard of the bars and they therefore were not going to do much in an accident. But after 26 years of me occasionally raising that point, herself relented and bought some R80 crash bars.

My R65 will become a "Frankenbike" itself late next year - I will use it to run the (by then) rebuilt R100 engine in.....Hmm... an R65 with a 1978 R100RS engine with 40mm Bings and pipes, 30 years ago that might have surprised a few people used to the  somewhat sedate performance of 1st generation R65s.

IP Logged

Tony Smith
God Member

Graduate, Wallace and

Reply #52 - 11/09/14 at 23:31:00
Post Tools
The R65 passed roadworthy inspection wit flying colours and is now registered.

The primary phase of the restoration is now complete. I will use the old girl for a few months and sort out any snarls that arise. Next winter i will pull it down to a bare frame and do back and do the cosmetics.

I have to admit that i felt rather chuffed with myself as I rode home from the registration office, in fact, more than a bit chuffed!

It's been a fun journey so far.......

IP Logged

steve hawkins
God Member

Lighter, Faster, where's
me hacksaw!

Reply #53 - 11/10/14 at 05:01:53
Post Tools
Well done.  You ought to be chuffed.

Rev. Light

Steve Hawkins R100 (that wants to be an R65)

IP Logged

Tony Smith
God Member

Graduate, Wallace and

Reply #54 - 12/14/14 at 05:42:51
Post Tools
Well, the old girl has now done just over 400 miles since the substantive rebuild was completed, 273 of this miles were done today. Set out with friends mounted respectively on Triumph Tiger, Triumph Daytona (Hinckley) and a BMW F650GS. The r65 is nearly 7 times the combined age of the other three bikes....

Anyway, the ride consisted of a lovely mountain climb (Gillies range) followed by a run to Raveshoe, back to Herberton and Atherton, thence Malanda via Gentle Annie, Peeramon for lunch and then home via Yungaburra, Tolga, Mareeba - down the range at Kuranda.

I thought the R65 would have difficulty staying with the others in the twisties and sadly I was right, part of that was me but most of it is that modern bikes have great big wide low profile tyres for a reason.

On the plus side after getting a little bit of a caning, including a 30km run at around 80mph, the R65 used no appreciable oil and sounded just as sweet when it came home as when it left.

Now, about those cosmetics I ignored during the rebuild.........

IP Logged

steve hawkins
God Member

Lighter, Faster, where's
me hacksaw!

Reply #55 - 12/15/14 at 10:05:59
Post Tools
I bet the others were trying a lot harder than they care to admit....

Rev Light

Steve Hawkins R100 (that wants to be an R65)

IP Logged

Tony Smith
God Member

Graduate, Wallace and

Reply #56 - 12/15/14 at 20:54:02
Post Tools
steve hawkins wrote on 12/15/14 at 10:05:59:
I bet the others were trying a lot harder than they care to admit....

Rev Light

Nah, they were cruising,  there was some altitude involved - we went through the highest town in queensland along the way. I suspect that fuel injected engines cope better with altitude than ones with carbs.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send TopicPrint