Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) This looks nice - New Continental GT (Read 4146 times)
Tony Smith
God Member

Graduate, Wallace and
Gromit School of Engineering

Re: This looks nice - New Continental GT
Reply #15 - 09/19/13 at 19:48:32
Post Tools
Luca wrote on 09/19/13 at 17:41:36:
They haven't the same fuel quality concerns,

That simply is not so. Dirty fuel or water contaminated fuel will stop, or even kill a diesel in proportions that will go straight through a standard petrol fuel filter and carb. The fuel "quality" is just as important, if not more so, than fuel quality is to a petrol engine.

The advantage a diesel has is that is far less Catholic about the type of fuel it drinks. You can for example feed a diesel on heating oil cut with a little naptha, or on kerosene (jet A1) with a little engine oil added, and even on stuff like vegetable oil (depending on the engine either "straight" or cut with a little kerosene/petrol/methanol) and of course on trans-estered used cooking oil, the so-called "biodiesel".

1978 R100RS| 1984 R65 | 1992 KLE500 | 2002 R1150GSA

IP Logged

Luca
God Member

Reply #16 - 09/20/13 at 07:58:48
Post Tools
Tony Smith wrote on 09/19/13 at 19:48:32:
The advantage a diesel has is that is far less Catholic about the type of fuel it drinks. You can for example feed a diesel on heating oil cut with a little naptha, or on kerosene (jet A1) with a little engine oil added, and even on stuff like vegetable oil (depending on the engine either "straight" or cut with a little kerosene/petrol/methanol) and of course on trans-estered used cooking oil, the so-called "biodiesel".

That is what I meant, as in you don't have to worry about finding 93 octane in the middle of the jungle.

Dirty fuel shouldn't be too great a concern as long as you have good filters..  A lot of diesels run more than one filter.  My old Mercedes had a course, in-line, primary, and then a fine, spin on type.  Newer engines/pumps are tighter and will require better filtration.

Plenty of truck guys (pickup trucks too) have water separators plumbed into their fuel lines to take care of that problem.

'82 R65LS  "Heidi"

The new member map is up and running!  See the sticky under "General Announcements" for details and the link.

IP Logged

montmil
God Member
In Memorial

Reply #17 - 09/20/13 at 08:27:19
Post Tools
It's not always about us First Worlders -as Harley-Davidson, Polaris/BRM/Can-Am and a few other motorcycle manufacturers have discovered. I recommend reading the aspects of RE's business decisions in the attached article from Cycle World's weekly e-news.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/09/18/2014-royal-enfield-continental-gt-first-rid...

Monte Miller
Denton, TEXAS
1978 BMW R100S
1981 BMW R65
1983 BMW R65
1995 Triumph Trophy
1986 VW Cabriolet

IP Logged

Lucky_Lou
God Member

shoot first

Reply #18 - 09/21/13 at 13:28:39
Post Tools
montmil wrote on 09/20/13 at 08:27:19:
It's not always about us First Worlders -as Harley-Davidson, Polaris/BRM/Can-Am and a few other motorcycle manufacturers have discovered. I recommend reading the aspects of RE's business decisions in the attached article from Cycle World's weekly e-news.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/09/18/2014-royal-enfield-continental-gt-first-rid...

Found this on the link .................. sweet
http://www.bikeexif.com/1976-bmw-r75
Lou

Ask questions later
IP Logged

nhmaf
Global Moderator

Free at last, Free at
last!

Reply #19 - 09/21/13 at 19:26:44
Post Tools
Lucky_Lou wrote on 09/21/13 at 13:28:39:
montmil wrote on 09/20/13 at 08:27:19:

Found this on the link .................. sweet
http://www.bikeexif.com/1976-bmw-r75
Lou

That R75 looks kinda cool, but I bet it doesn't corner well with those tires on it!  Alot of the exif bikes I think suffer the same issues - interesting styling exercise, but ridability, errr, not so much..
'

Airhead #12178   BMWMOA #123173  BMWRA #33525  GSBMWR #563  1982 BMW R65LS  1978 BMW R100/7 1998 Kawasaki Concours

IP Logged

steve hawkins
God Member

Lighter, Faster, where's
me hacksaw!

Reply #20 - 09/23/13 at 02:44:26
Post Tools
The R75/6 special is very close to what my R65 currently looks like, with the 'patina', now that I have dropped the high handle bars and gone to lower, wider, Renthals.  

My bike rides rather well but then my rim are standard BMW with standard tyre sizes (although the front wheel is a 19inch).  My biggest bug bears on the R75/6 are:

1.  No front mudguard - rendering the bike a sunny day toy only.  But at least they put a rear one on!
2.  Where is the battery and what size is it?  I.e. can it be relied on the start the bike?

But other than that, I like it.

Rev Light

Steve Hawkins R100 (that wants to be an R65)

IP Logged

Luca
God Member

Reply #21 - 09/23/13 at 14:26:07
Post Tools
steve hawkins wrote on 09/23/13 at 02:44:26:
2.  Where is the battery and what size is it?  I.e. can it be relied on the start the bike?

My bet is it's a compact lithium battery (should be plenty strong and reliable as long as it doesn't catch fire!) and they hid it in the airbox, which isn't handling air with those pod filters on.  Kinda nice, IMO, I've never been fond of the look when the airbox is removed and there's a big right-angle chunk of metal missing.

'82 R65LS  "Heidi"

The new member map is up and running!  See the sticky under "General Announcements" for details and the link.

IP Logged

marcmax
God Member

Any day on two wheels
is a good day

Reply #22 - 09/23/13 at 15:27:44
Post Tools
I agree with Luca. I dislike the look of a missing airbox. I have seen very nice block off plates made to cover the opening left uncovered but in the end there is still an un-natural looking right angle opening above the gearbox. Everything else is soft rounded curves.

This is the best looking alternative I have found. If/when I decide to go to pod air filters, this is what I intend to replace the airbox with.

http://www.boxercafe.com/startercover.htm

Keep your bike in good repair:  motorcycle boots are not comfortable for walking.  

1982 R65ls        1984 R65ls        1991 K75

IP Logged

Luca
God Member

Reply #23 - 09/23/13 at 20:24:16
Post Tools
Thanks for the link.  I noticed they sell a "Smog Plug Kit."  Perhaps the link can be added to the technical faq/procedure page as a one stop shop for all the necessary EPA deletion bits.

Boxercafe has some pretty cool stuff.  Too bad they don't sport R65 sidecovers, although it seems like their other sidecovers are of an improved design.

The airbox cover they make is pretty nifty, but I wonder how the finish of it would compare next to the cast aluminium.  Perhaps if everything was aluminized (can you put that on fiberglass?) or painted an even color it wouldn't be so jarring.

I really like what they did with that R75 airbox.  I think of the airbox, especially the clamshell unit, like I do car rims... somebody got paid a salary to make sure it looks good.

'82 R65LS  "Heidi"

IP Logged

steve hawkins
God Member

Lighter, Faster, where's
me hacksaw!

Reply #24 - 09/24/13 at 03:06:59
Post Tools
That cover looks very nice.

As far as finish is concerned, I would try and generate texture with a hi-build primer, perhaps by holding the rattle can too far away and not rubbing down very much, followed by an aluminium paint....It might work????  You would never match it to the engine.....But the engine is multi-coloured any way

What do we do with the breather under there?

Currently mine exits to the air via a filter.

Same could be done but where to mount it.  Unless I just leave it inside.

I wonder if they would send to the UK?

Cheers

Rev. Light

SmallRedR65_006.jpg ( 361 KB | Downloads )
SmallRedR65_006.jpg

IP Logged

marcmax
God Member

Any day on two wheels
is a good day

Reply #25 - 09/24/13 at 09:54:41
Post Tools
Just spoke to the folks at BoxerCafe. This starter cover does have a smooth fiberglass finish so in order to match the finish of the engine casting something would have to be done. I like Steve's idea with the hi-build primer.

Duplicolor makes a rattle can engine paint called 'Cast Aluminum' that was recommended to me by a friend with a Corvette. He uses it on cast intake manifolds and I used it on my existing starter cover and clamshell airbox. It is a great match for the engine color and very durable.

Also BoxerCafe ships internationally. He said some of the larger fairings and such get cost prohibitive due to shipping charges but smaller pieces are no problem.

Keep your bike in good repair:  motorcycle boots are not comfortable for walking.  

1982 R65ls        1984 R65ls        1991 K75

IP Logged

montmil
God Member
In Memorial

Reply #26 - 09/24/13 at 17:20:28
Post Tools
Prowl the Eastwood website. They offer a remarkable variety of paints and coatings to replicate OEM finishes.

http://www.eastwood.com/

Monte Miller
Denton, TEXAS
1978 BMW R100S
1981 BMW R65
1983 BMW R65
1995 Triumph Trophy
1986 VW Cabriolet

IP Logged

steve hawkins
God Member

Lighter, Faster, where's
me hacksaw!

Reply #27 - 09/28/13 at 11:40:48
Post Tools
Motorworks do one as well.  Just seen it on their website.  By the time I paid the postage and taxes I might as well buy it from them..BoxerCafe would be cheaper if I lived in the 'good ol' U S of A....................

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint