Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Tony's restoration of Steve's old knacker (Read 2815 times)
Tony
Ex Member

Tony's restoration of Steve's old knacker
11/04/13 at 14:25:09
Post Tools
Steve has asked me to start this thread so that you can all see what a chancer and bodge merchant he really is! The opportunity to slag off the PO will be backed up with photographic evidence so he can squirm as much as he likes but a picture is worth a thousand words Cheesy

So from 5 yards there does not appear to be much wrong with Ruby but once ridden and viewed closely a number of issues arise.
1. paintwork, the frame has dulled and faded to orange and in places has extensive cracking. The tank is dented on the left side.
2. The drive train has some slack/backlash on taking up the clutch. This apparently can be ridden around but i'd like to be concentrating on where I am going rather than trying to find a smooth gear change. I am led to believe that this is associated with a worn sprung drive shaft which will need to be addressed.
3. The saddle while looking the part is not padded enough and will need to be re-upholstered.
4. The wiring has been simplified but originates from the original loom. This could do with a bit more tidying, mainly for ease of maintenance.

So lets start with a few pics of Ruby in My Garage, by the way the fat bloke is Steve! Cry 

DSC00450.JPG ( 735 KB | Downloads )
DSC00450.JPG
DSC00451.JPG ( 349 KB | Downloads )
DSC00451.JPG
DSC00460.JPG ( 357 KB | Downloads )
DSC00460.JPG

IP Logged

montmil
God Member

Re: Tony's restoration of Steve's old knacker
Reply #1 - 11/04/13 at 15:16:58
Post Tools
Whoa, Tony! Best to play nice while you're getting Steve's uh, your R65 sorted.

Old saying around Texas farms and ranches... Don't cuss the farmer with your mouth full.  Wink

Monte Miller
Denton, TEXAS
1978 BMW R100S
1981 BMW R65
1983 BMW R65
1995 Triumph Trophy
1986 VW Cabriolet

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #2 - 11/05/13 at 00:16:04
Post Tools
Don't worry montmil , my brother and I are quite happy to exchange a bit of banter. He is no doubt thinking up a repost for your entertainment as we speak! Wink
On another note, this bike is to all intents and purposes already mocked up with many of the mods and the looks I want from this machine, I am very pleased to have the opportunity to to refinish it in my own style with very few repairs and adjustments required other than those mentioned. Starting from scratch would be a very different project to undertake. It has been 10 long years since Steve did his original cafe racer customisation on it, which for many bikes is as long as they last these days

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #3 - 11/05/13 at 01:09:24
Post Tools
Just for a bit more info a picture of the remaining electrical goodies, note just the one relay (starter) and the k100 twin coils a mod that was required after the original coil mounts failed!
And of course the dented tank..... as a result of a minor 'in garage' accident.

DSC00458.JPG ( 342 KB | Downloads )
DSC00458.JPG
DSC00454.JPG ( 328 KB | Downloads )
DSC00454.JPG

IP Logged

steve hawkins
God Member

Lighter, Faster, where's
me hacksaw!

Reply #4 - 11/05/13 at 03:12:44
Post Tools
Okay, we all like to have a little go at the PO Wink

Actually I was present when Tony opened this thread, so I was aware of what was being written.  I have punted around enough barbed comments to others in the past.  I cannot expect never to be on the receiving end - especially when it is warranted.

1. Frame paint and tank dent.  It is no secret that I was very disappointed with the powder coating on the frame of my bike, right from the outset.  This is more down to the poor job carried out by the powder coaters that the process itself, as it was put on far too thick.   It was a cost compromise forced on me by my long suffering wife, when I let slip how much the proper paint job was going to cost....That'll learn us!   However, the fading is an issue and goes to show you that some colours are more susceptible to fading than others.  

The tank dent was caused by the BMW side stand collapsing, which they are prone to do, so be warned.  That said, you could regard it as 'Patina' as it tells a story......

2. Drive shaft, I am assuming that the play is in the sprung area, as there is a little bit of 'take up' when you let the clutch out in first gear, when moving off, some times - you learn to let the clutch out gently.  It is not an issue once on the move.  Remember, this bike has done over 110,000 miles.  We will also be looking at the splines and UJ in the drive shaft as well, but they were okay when I first built the bike and this issue was present from day one (well 2001).  but for all the play in the spring area, it will never fail, unless brutalized by a Muppet.

3. The saddle is slim, but like everything, you get used to it.  Having said that, I would not necessarily like to tour France on it.  It has more padding in it than the previous café racer seat, but then you are sat back, and more upright.  I have ridden it for an hour or more, each way and been fine.

4.  Wiring. when I stripped out the indicator/Hazard warning and utility wiring from the original harness, I lost 50% of the original loom.  Under the tank could do with a little tidying, as it was wired with what I had left over from the original loom.  But I never had any issues with it and it has lasted far longer than a Honda warrantee! (Tony works for Honda).  I just clamped it down under a cover and forgot about it.

I am hopeful that Tony can fix these minor issues, and refresh the bike so that it does not need to looked at for another 20+ years or more.  With the lessons I have learned, he should be able to achieve this.  As long as the accountants do not step in and force any more compromises!

I am letting Tony do all the stripping down, so he can familiarize himself with the bike.  I am around for consultation and the occasional lift.  He is aware that for all its issues, he has got a pretty good deal, with all the high value accessories fitted to the bike.  Surefoot stand, wire wheels, ebc disk, stainless steel braided hose, Koni shocks, post 81 unleaded heads, new pistons, exhaust mods, headlight ears, speedo, polished triple trees, recent tyres, alloy mudguards, etc. 

Having said that, the first real issue we are going to face is getting the old powder coating off the frame?  Can it be sand blasted like paint?  Or do we have to resort to another process?

Rev Light

Steve Hawkins R100 (that wants to be an R65)

IP Logged

AlfromNH

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 11/05/13 at 09:53:26
Post Tools
I like the coil mount mod. I may have to do a version of that, my front coil mount is broken also.

Nice bike, I look forward to watching the process  Smiley

'79 R65.
"Other people can talk about how to expand the destiny of mankind. I just want to talk about how to fix a motorcycle. I think what I have to say has more lasting value"
--Robert M. Persig

IP Logged

steve hawkins
God Member

Lighter, Faster, where's
me hacksaw!

Reply #6 - 11/06/13 at 01:58:23
Post Tools
Its a second hand BMW K100 coil, bought from Motorworks.

Simple enough wiring exercise.

Its been on for some years, no issues yet.

Cheers

Rev. Light

IP Logged

Lucky_Lou
God Member

shoot first

Reply #7 - 11/06/13 at 14:36:12
Post Tools
Should be quicker when Tony has finished as he looks a few Lbs lighter than the reverend  Smiley
Lou

Ask questions later
IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #8 - 11/07/13 at 00:27:51
Post Tools
Steve is already back on his diet, funnily enough Cheesy
Mind you I really should be joining him to get the best out of the bike Roll Eyes

IP Logged

steve hawkins
God Member

Lighter, Faster, where's
me hacksaw!

Reply #9 - 11/07/13 at 02:12:48
Post Tools
Ain't it about time you put another picture up, rather than discussing my weight.

Anyway, currently, I suspect that Tony is actually heavier than me, the cheeky git!

Almost ready to remove the front forks. I believe.

Rev. Lighter

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #10 - 11/08/13 at 00:51:28
Post Tools
Well as Steve says its about time for more photos, the first one is continuing with the dismantling process, most of the wiring has been removed with the front forks etc. That fine look man is me and yes I too need to go on a diet... just thought I'd get that in before you lot!
The second is some testing of paint stripper on the powder coat, which does appear to have the required effect.
and the third is a is the growing mound of removed parts that will all need cleaning before refitting!

DSC00466.jpg ( 375 KB | Downloads )
DSC00466.jpg
DSC00468.jpg ( 268 KB | Downloads )
DSC00468.jpg
DSC00467.jpg ( 358 KB | Downloads )
DSC00467.jpg

IP Logged

steve hawkins
God Member

Lighter, Faster, where's
me hacksaw!

Reply #11 - 11/08/13 at 02:06:19
Post Tools
You can sure see the depth of the old powder coating.

Ah well, stripping soon.

It will be interesting to watch...... Wink

Rev. light

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #12 - 11/10/13 at 16:10:15
Post Tools
Well its all in bits, now is the time for a bit of metal work and paint stripping before a the frame goes for bead blasting.
Iam going to remove the remains of the old coil mounts, and the centre stand mounts as well as a few other bits and bobs that are no longer required, I shall then roughen up the surface of the frame and apply some stripper to remove the bulk of the old powder coating. Just a few minor little jobs to do (remove the shaft from the swing arm and knock out the head races) before this job can commence.
Plenty of time to needle Steve with my colour choices Cheesy
We do differ in this regard but since I am the new owner final choice is mine!

DSC00470.JPG ( 358 KB | Downloads )
DSC00470.JPG
DSC00471.JPG ( 329 KB | Downloads )
DSC00471.JPG
DSC00472.JPG ( 337 KB | Downloads )
DSC00472.JPG
DSC00473.JPG ( 293 KB | Downloads )
DSC00473.JPG

IP Logged

steve hawkins
God Member

Lighter, Faster, where's
me hacksaw!

Reply #13 - 11/11/13 at 02:12:58
Post Tools
Yep, we are going to cut of the main stand tangs and the side stand tang, leaving only the engine mounting points - see second picture on Tony's last mail.

And then tidy up the aft coil mount.

Time to break out the grinder.

Lots of sparks!

Cheers

Rev. Light

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #14 - 11/12/13 at 14:32:03
Post Tools
Steering head bearings out (using steves patented drill holes in the head tube) but looking worse for wear. Still smooth but will replace as they are out.

Then onto the drive shaft. Now I know we have problems in this area as the bike has a certain amount of 'take up' when moving off in first and requires delicate clutch operation. So we were expecting to see some wear..... and we did!

IMG_1780.jpg ( 46 KB | Downloads )
IMG_1780.jpg
IMG_1781.jpg ( 74 KB | Downloads )
IMG_1781.jpg
IMG_1783.jpg ( 69 KB | Downloads )
IMG_1783.jpg
IMG_1782.jpg ( 63 KB | Downloads )
IMG_1782.jpg
IMG_1784.jpg ( 40 KB | Downloads )
IMG_1784.jpg
IMG_1785.jpg ( 31 KB | Downloads )
IMG_1785.jpg
IMG_1786.jpg ( 29 KB | Downloads )
IMG_1786.jpg
IMG_1787.jpg ( 29 KB | Downloads )
IMG_1787.jpg
IMG_1788.jpg ( 30 KB | Downloads )
IMG_1788.jpg

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #15 - 11/12/13 at 14:35:28
Post Tools
Any one want chips with their Flat spots on the bearing surfaces?
Where is my cheque book Cry

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #16 - 11/24/13 at 13:42:11
Post Tools
Anyway plugging on with the frame, Steve has advised me to do the lions share of the paint stripping before sending the frame off for media blasting however I have some unwanted tabs and fittings on the frame to remove first, namely the centre and side stand fixtures.
These are substantial lumps of metal that required some new hacksaw blades and grinder wheels.
The final image shows most of the cutting work completed but still with some final dressing to carry out. other unwanted bit that were removed were the old broken coil mounts and what looks like a flasher or relay mount up by the head tube on the left hand side. Anyway all gone and now for the powder coat which is already a chore Undecided!

DSC00475.JPG ( 334 KB | Downloads )
DSC00475.JPG
DSC00476.JPG ( 344 KB | Downloads )
DSC00476.JPG
IMG_1799.JPG ( 120 KB | Downloads )
IMG_1799.JPG

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #17 - 11/24/13 at 14:09:30
Post Tools
By the way currently (and you have to appreciate this is a moving target depending on my mood) this is what i want to model the r65 after to give you an idea.

bmw-r75.jpg ( 65 KB | Downloads )
bmw-r75.jpg

IP Logged

steve hawkins
God Member

Lighter, Faster, where's
me hacksaw!

Reply #18 - 11/29/13 at 02:19:21
Post Tools
That is a nice blue.  I am sure, however, that it would look even nicer if you did the frame, and swing arm the same colour.......It's not my bike, its not my bike, repeat after me, its not my bike...

Tony is taking the frame, etc , to be blasted today.  It will be interesting to see what happens next.

IP Logged

AlfromNH

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #19 - 11/29/13 at 06:20:58
Post Tools
To each his own, etc etc, and I do think that's a cool looking bike. But every time I see a seat like that I wonder how rideable the bike really is. How long could you sit in that seat? I don't think I could tolerate it very long, myself. Undecided

'79 R65.
"Other people can talk about how to expand the destiny of mankind. I just want to talk about how to fix a motorcycle. I think what I have to say has more lasting value"
--Robert M. Persig

IP Logged

MR.E

Reply #20 - 11/29/13 at 11:01:33
Post Tools
Tony

Always nice to see a project go on the bench.
Look forward to seeing it progress.

Elliott

Sleep tight princess, you'll always be riding with me XxX
IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #21 - 11/29/13 at 14:51:15
Post Tools
I know what you are saying about the seat but for long trips I have an R100GS, this bike is a going to a bit of a street bike for local use Wink

IP Logged

steve hawkins
God Member

Lighter, Faster, where's
me hacksaw!

Reply #22 - 11/29/13 at 15:19:00
Post Tools
About an hour to an hour and a half.  It was fine for that long.  And that's the longest I have ridden it

The café Racer seat had less padding, but then you were leant forward, which took a lot of weight off you Arse.....And onto your wrists.  Could empty the tank in that configuration.

You do get used to it and it also depends on the quality of the roads.

Rev Light

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #23 - 12/01/13 at 15:11:50
Post Tools
Cylinders removed today to look for a supposed push rod seal leak. But on closer inspection there appears to be a leak from the cylinder bases on both sides. No gasket here only a rubber O'ring.
Funny thing is I had just the same leak from My R100GS. And on identifying it as the leak point I put in a gasket and O ring supplied with a kit I got from Motobins. On this occasion only one side was leaking so I still have the other gasket and o ring.
This brings up the question for the R65 - Should a gasket be fitted or just new O'rings as neither side has had a gasket fitted in the past?  Undecided Assuming that Motobins supply both options as they did in the past.

IMG_1807.jpg ( 133 KB | Downloads )
IMG_1807.jpg
IMG_1808.jpg ( 148 KB | Downloads )
IMG_1808.jpg

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #24 - 12/12/13 at 12:26:33
Post Tools
Well no pictures today but the frame parts are all away at the powder coater for a layer of satin black ( sorry Steve but the bike is mine now) will be done by Tuesday. The blasting process was a bit aggressive to get the old coat off and left a pitted finish to the frame but the powder coater said they can get over this.
Also the engine is back together after the cylinders were removed to resolve the oil leaks. I am going to try and give it a bit of a clean on the weekend, nothing too drastic got to keep a bit of patina on the old girl!

IP Logged

steve hawkins
God Member

Lighter, Faster, where's
me hacksaw!

Reply #25 - 12/13/13 at 03:05:06
Post Tools
You need a 'scotchbright' rotary disk in your drill.

Not too heavy and no polishing!  polishing is for those folks with too much time on their hands and nothing better to do.

Time to do it is now, whilst the engine is out of the frame.

That way you can reach all those bits that you cannot when she is all built up.

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #26 - 12/13/13 at 15:51:11
Post Tools
Well the frame came back early from the powder coaters and is now sat in the garage looking resplendent. Not bad for £50! Anyway it's given me a kick up the chuff so the tank went off to the painters this afternoon and may be back before xmas! Assuming I can decide what colour it's going to be. Turns out the painter has got a gap in his books and can get right on to it - result! Anyway Azure Blue (RAL 5009) and some gloss black on the undersides and around the lower edges to slim the tank a bit.
Got to get back on the net to get some new swing arm and head bearings... where's my plastic?
This Christmas we shall be mainly building a motor cycle! Cheesy

IMG_1812.jpg ( 118 KB | Downloads )
IMG_1812.jpg

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #27 - 12/15/13 at 15:25:49
Post Tools
Lets get started then nice clean frame meet the not so nice and clean engine and transmission mind you not so bad at 35 yrs old, but a bit like triggers broom old but with six new handles and 12 new brush heads! Any way I shall be rebuilding this bike little and often over the next few weeks and will update with each major step. Smiley

IMG_1815.JPG ( 119 KB | Downloads )
IMG_1815.JPG

IP Logged

steve hawkins
God Member

Lighter, Faster, where's
me hacksaw!

Reply #28 - 12/16/13 at 02:53:29
Post Tools
It begins.....

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #29 - 12/21/13 at 07:01:55
Post Tools
Tank is back today just a quick peak to see how it looks, will need to get new badges for it though.
Still messing about with the swing arm and drive shaft and after recent spline topics I will be looking at the final drive before it goes back on!

IMG_1822.JPG ( 128 KB | Downloads )
IMG_1822.JPG
IMG_1820.JPG ( 119 KB | Downloads )
IMG_1820.JPG

IP Logged

AlfromNH

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #30 - 12/21/13 at 11:36:17
Post Tools
Back to that jig you used to remove the driveshaft- is there a thread for that, and is my '79 put together the same? Thanks, your bike is looking good!

'79 R65.
--Robert M. Persig

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #31 - 12/21/13 at 12:33:33
Post Tools
The jig is a bit of a Heath Robinson affair which came from next door,it was a bit of a struggle to use. To be honest it could do with some improvement particularly with the top beam which should be wider so that a bigger hole can be bored through it. Also some extra locking nuts on the bottom to stop the threaded bar from rotating and some large washers under the top nuts would also be useful.
As for the drive shaft, I am thinking that this is standard from 79 bikes onward

IP Logged

AlfromNH

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #32 - 12/22/13 at 09:30:25
Post Tools
My Clymer's manual show a big nut on the rear end of the driveshaft. I wasn't seeing a nut, but now I understand. I need to compress the whole assembly, the remove the retaining ring.

Another special tool, $76 from cycleworks. I like your idea better.  Cool

'79 R65.
--Robert M. Persig

IP Logged

Rob Valdez 79 R65

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #33 - 12/22/13 at 21:58:07
Post Tools
Quote:
other unwanted bit that were removed were the old broken coil mounts and what looks like a flasher or relay mount up by the head tube on the left hand side.

That would have been the turn signal beeper mount.

IP Logged

Rob Valdez 79 R65

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #34 - 12/22/13 at 22:16:29
Post Tools
AlfromNH wrote on 12/21/13 at 11:36:17:
Back to that jig you used to remove the driveshaft- is there a thread for that, and is my '79 put together the same? Thanks, your bike is looking good!

I found this one:
http://www.bmwr65.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1344825707/10#10

in which the author linked to this page:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=18935395&postcount=8

...for a welded one.

...and another one from the advrider page:
http://www.krypton.plus.com/blog/driveshafttool.htm

IP Logged

AlfromNH

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #35 - 12/23/13 at 06:33:53
Post Tools
Thanks Rob!

'79 R65.
--Robert M. Persig

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #36 - 01/01/14 at 13:32:04
Post Tools
Couldn't help myself been slaving on the bike all day so thought I'd put the tank back on just to get a look see. Just about altogether mechanically, just cables, wiring and fluids. sounds easy but the wiring is going to take a while as there is lots to do including re-instating the indicators and a new speedo (which will need all the idiot lights connected). Might get it running soon just to check for leaks etc but better put the exhaust on first! Cheesy

IMG_1825.JPG ( 134 KB | Downloads )
IMG_1825.JPG

IP Logged

steve hawkins
God Member

Lighter, Faster, where's
me hacksaw!

Reply #37 - 01/03/14 at 04:18:28
Post Tools
I think this is coming together very nicely.

But then I would wouldn't I?

Cheers

Rev. Light

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #38 - 01/14/14 at 14:43:16
Post Tools
Well it's been a couple of weeks so I thought I'd better update you. Things have slowed a little mainly as there has been some decision making to be made. Firstly associated with the reintroduction of the indicators which were previously discarded during the cafe racer phase.
As I am going to the effort of putting them back there would be no point putting silly little after marked jobs on so I have plumped for some nice large round lucas jobs. Then location location location! assorted brackets and big holes later they are in place and ready for wiring up.
The Speedo was the next decision, Acewell to the rescue with their nice little digital speedo and idiot light combo. The kit I got is supplied by Flatracers of London and includes a speed take off from the transmission which converts the old mechanical mechanism to an electric signal for the speedo. No magnets for the front wheel for me! Just got to work out how I am going to put the charge light down the head tube.
Exhausts are on, but i need to tape the headers as they are a bit rough. The mufflers would not be my first choice however they sound glorious and have the all important EU marks for the MOT
So next is the wiring which I am determined to tidy up, so I am getting all the bits together for the final push. My old man turned me an ignition barrel housing but I havnt decided where to put it yet! Probably on the frame somewhere. TTFN

IMG_1829.JPG ( 123 KB | Downloads )
IMG_1829.JPG
IMG_1830.JPG ( 85 KB | Downloads )
IMG_1830.JPG
IMG_1831.JPG ( 97 KB | Downloads )
IMG_1831.JPG
IMG_1832.JPG ( 132 KB | Downloads )
IMG_1832.JPG
IMG_1833.JPG ( 80 KB | Downloads )
IMG_1833.JPG

IP Logged

montmil
God Member

Reply #39 - 01/14/14 at 16:02:45
Post Tools
Same Acewell digi unit resides on my 1983 R65. The electronic plug fitting into the hole for the OEM mechanical speedo cable is brilliant.

A Trail Tech Vapor digi rocks the 1981 R65 and the 1978 R100S.

Monte Miller
Denton, TEXAS
1978 BMW R100S
1981 BMW R65
1983 BMW R65
1995 Triumph Trophy
1986 VW Cabriolet

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #40 - 04/19/14 at 12:24:57
Post Tools
Well she is running, I 'll have to admit getting lost in the rewire a bit, but what are brothers for. Anyway with Steve's help we are running, and all is well with the wiring, which is more than can be said for the battery!
Lots of tidying up and fettling to get her ready for the MOT.
Will also need a complete check up for loose bits and bobs and a bit of clutch adjustment... Got there in the end Roll Eyes

IMG_0290b.jpg ( 257 KB | Downloads )
IMG_0290b.jpg

IP Logged

montmil
God Member

Reply #41 - 04/19/14 at 13:42:39
Post Tools
Looking good, Tony!  Smiley

Monte Miller
Denton, TEXAS
1978 BMW R100S
1981 BMW R65
1983 BMW R65
1995 Triumph Trophy
1986 VW Cabriolet

IP Logged

steve hawkins
God Member

Lighter, Faster, where's
me hacksaw!

Reply #42 - 04/22/14 at 07:45:29
Post Tools
It actually looks a lot better than that picture suggests.  Nice and clean and shiny.  Still sounds great with those pipes.

The trouble with the wiring was due to the simplification of the loom that I did when I removed the original instruments, indicators, buzzers and accessory circuits.  Then Tony comes along and wires in a set of indicators and adds in the Acewell clock, with all the idiot lights in the clock and not as separate lights - except the charge light. 

We approached the wiring in a piece-meal way, which is fine in theory, Lights followed by ignition, followed by charging circuit, etc. But we got caught out a couple of times where we did not understand that although we had removed an part of a circuit, connections were still required to other parts of the circuit we had still left in.  I.e. we had to look at the circuit as a whole, at times.  Anyway we got there in the end.

Cheers

Rev Light

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #43 - 04/25/14 at 16:23:53
Post Tools
New MOT but a filthy day to take it for a test. i put the contents of a 5 litre can of fuel in it and thought Id be ok for the run to the test centre and back, however  i must have got too exuberant on the weekend test runs as i ran out of fuel at the test centre door! lucky for the good old reserve tap.
All went well for the MOT test with no advisories, in fact some nice comments as they remember this bike as a regular in all it's many forms over the past 10 years or so!
As for the riding experience the suspension generally is a bit harsh for an inch of foam under your back side so i can already feel so more mods coming on.. like a re-upholster of the saddle, reversion to original fork springs and shocks if I can lay my hands on them! but otherwise at least the electrics survived the rain! Smiley

IMG_0293b.jpg ( 136 KB | Downloads )
IMG_0293b.jpg

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #44 - 05/06/14 at 01:11:35
Post Tools
Been riding her a bit and  was not overly impressed by the performance and she was a bit tappity, so bit the bullet for a tune up. Reset the valves, did not initially check the spark gap but could not get her set up on timing by twisting the can as there was not adjustment available! So took a step back and reset the can to a mid point and then reset the points as they were a bit off! What a revelation! However after that little run I tried to balance the carbs and appear to have snuffed it a little, but also realised that I was getting low on fuel so will remedy that situation and try again but already soooo much smoother Smiley

IP Logged

Chris S
God Member

Reply #45 - 05/06/14 at 06:40:37
Post Tools
It's looking very good Tony, a job well done!

Enjoy...

1981 R65

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #46 - 05/13/14 at 15:01:31
Post Tools
It's in bits again, this time I noted a bit of a clonking on the front end and was trying to find the info on front forks, bearing in mind this is supposed to be a 79 R65 it has had a pair of brembo brakes fitted and has progressive springs fitted. Although the first fork leg is out I have yet to dismantle it. But I understand there may be two versions of the fork internals fitted to the R65. I am sure I have seen a recent thread but cannot find it nor does the search bring it up?

IP Logged

AlfromNH

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #47 - 05/13/14 at 15:08:10
Post Tools
I think the difference is whether a plastic cushion or spring assembly is used as a top-out cushion. I know I started a thread when I took apart my forks. I think NHMAF had the a thread with a lot of detail, titled "does my damper look right?" or similar. Just going off memory here...

'79 R65.
--Robert M. Persig

IP Logged

AlfromNH

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #48 - 05/13/14 at 15:16:35
Post Tools
Here are a couple threads that were helpful to me when I was rebuilding my forks:
http://www.bmwr65.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1381000733

http://www.bmwr65.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1371526053

A '79 will have the plastic top out cushion, not the spring. Mine did, anyway.

'79 R65.
--Robert M. Persig

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #49 - 05/13/14 at 16:59:21
Post Tools
Thanks Al I will be taking a look inside the forks in the next day or so, did a bit of a push down test on the one I removed this evening, lots of squishing noises ( like airiated oil) on the way back up and little no rebound damping that I can detect.. Huh

IP Logged

steve hawkins
God Member

Lighter, Faster, where's
me hacksaw!

Reply #50 - 06/09/14 at 02:58:38
Post Tools
It turns out that we were several little issues that made the forks harsh.

1.  A little light on fluid - needed a change anyway.
2. The bumpers were in there, from the last time I was in there, but Tony put a new set in, as he had them.
3. There were some preload spacers I put in from its café racers days which are no longer required. Those coupled with firmer springs made the forks too stiff for a Bobber.  This was not an issue when this bike was a café racer, as the clip-ons and rear sets put more weight up front, but when the weight moved back, with a more upright riding position, the forks would rebound with a 'clunk'.

So sorted. 

As was the tuning, next time Tony messes with his dynamic timing he want to sung up the bolts of the bean can and points a bit more, then they wont move.  The bike is now as fast as it ever was.  As I can testify as I was overtaken by him on a spirited ride over the Wiltshire downs a week or so ago.

Rev. Light

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #51 - 09/05/14 at 15:14:24
Post Tools
Well the tinkering goes on, having lost a lot of weight over the years (the R65 that is). I have felt that the rear shocks are a little harsh being koni's and built to beef up the rear end of a standard bike with luggage. Any way being tight I want to soften things up economically, so I ordered a set of Hagons....................that didn't arrive, on back order aparently. Anyway it gave me time to investigate re-springing the koni's. So I contacted Norman Hyde motor cycles who were able to supply a lighter pair of Ikon springs which fit very nicely, although compressing springs is always fun! Embarrassed looking forward to seeing how they feel but not before I have replaced the progressive springs in the forks for the originals.
TTFN

IP Logged

Tony
Ex Member

Reply #52 - 09/07/14 at 17:04:41
Post Tools
well what a revelation, the new lighter rear springs and the refitting of the standard springs in the forks have totally changed the bike. Much less skittish and far more enjoyable to ride! Well pleased Smiley

IP Logged

steve hawkins
God Member

Lighter, Faster, where's
me hacksaw!

Reply #53 - 09/17/14 at 04:08:44
Post Tools
This really needs to be flagged up to everyone.  The fact that you can source new springs for existing koni/ikon shocks that are of a lighter weight than those normally supplied.

Tony, can you let everyone know what weight of spring you had fitted and what you replaced it with.

I personally think that this is still a nicer and higher quality package the Hagons, as long as you can specify a better spring weight when you buy them.

I do not want this little snippet of info dropping through the cracks.

Rev Light

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint