Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) electrex RR45 (Read 1412 times)
guyom

electrex RR45
01/20/16 at 15:02:07
Post Tools
Hi Guys, i'm a new arrival in the R65 world. I bought a R65 1981, cheap, but not in good shape. When i checked the electrical cord, many are burn and modified from original position. So I changed everything, and install a M-unit. In a same time i need to change the regulator (and by the way) the diode board and replace them by a RR45 form Electrex. My question : i tempted to install the new RR at the place of the diode board but is there enough fresh air to cool down the RR or do i need to install it under the tank at the place of the old regulator... but looks more difficult to do something clean (need more space of the RR45 compared to the old stock). Anyway, if anyone has a suggestion...

IP Logged

montmil
God Member
In Memorial

Re: electrex RR45
Reply #1 - 01/20/16 at 16:14:17
Post Tools
Is this what you want to install for a voltage regulator http://www.wemoto.com/parts/picture/el-rr45/ Pricey rascal.

Motorrad Elektrik offers a solid state Voltage Regulator that is a direct replacement for the OEM unit. Plug and play all the way. No wiring changes or relocation needed. At $39.00USD it's far less expensive and a popular upgrade amongst the Airhead set. http://www.motoelekt.com/charging.htm

What is an M-unit?

Welcome to the forum. Before spending unnecessary cash and making unproven mods to your R65, check in to our asylum and voice your ideas and plans. We can offer ideas, suggestions and tall tales. Post a photo of your R65 when you can. We love photos of member's bikes.

Monte Miller
Denton, TEXAS
1978 BMW R100S
1981 BMW R65
1983 BMW R65
1995 Triumph Trophy
1986 VW Cabriolet

IP Logged

guyom

Reply #2 - 01/21/16 at 10:43:22
Post Tools
Hi thanks for reply.

The RR45 allows to remove diode board and regulator. My question was about the place to put it... i want at the place of the diode board under the front panel to hide it but i'm wondering about the air flow : sufficient or not to cool down ?

The M-unit is a digital control unit for your motorbike - the 'heart' of the vehicle's electrical system.

I just upgrade because all the wiring cord and relay are burned or modified with strange connexions... so two options : #1 buy a new old stock (wiring cord, relay regulator) or #2 a digital solid-state one and simplify the electric cord. I choose the #2.

Pictures of the bike will arrive soon. Thanks for time

Guyom

IP Logged

Bob_Roller
Global Moderator

GMT -7 Hours

Reply #3 - 01/21/16 at 11:16:50
Post Tools
Do you have a link to the new part you installed ???

Seems like we don't have anything comparable to be able to give any advice on it .

www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog/RR45.html

The part looks like regulator/ rectifier that use Zener diodes, but I could be wrong .

With the cooling fins on the part, I would place it in an area that gets plenty of airflow, under the front cover of the engine doesn't appear a good place to install it  .

'81 R65
'82 R65 LS  
'84 R65 LS
'87 Moto Guzzi V65 Lario
'02 R1150R
Riding all year long since 1993 .
I'll give up my R65, when they pry my cold dead hands from the handlebars !!!!!

IP Logged

guyom

Reply #4 - 01/21/16 at 12:19:07
Post Tools
Hi Bob, yes this is the part Electrex RR45 (www.electrexworld.co.uk/acatalog/RR45.html).

Thanks for the advice. So I'm going to put it at the place of the Old stock regulator under the tank.
Guyom

IP Logged

guyom

Reply #5 - 01/21/16 at 12:29:00
Post Tools

IP Logged

Tony Smith
God Member

Graduate, Wallace and
Gromit School of Engineering

Reply #6 - 01/21/16 at 20:03:43
Post Tools
guyom wrote on 01/21/16 at 12:29:00:

That is a clever piece of technology, albeit at a big price Euros 270. If I was wiring a bike from scratch I would seriously consider one, but integrating it into an existing wiring loom would seem to be an entirely non-trivial task.

Also interested in your Electrixworld regulator/rectifier, It looks like a fairly generic device, very similar in fact to the Chinese one I have just fitted to the KLE at a cost of $AU 15.00 delivered. Did they supply a wiring diagram with it? The secondary reason I'm interested in Electrixworld's products is that I am about to order a new rotor for the KLE for them, mine is an early model with glued in magnets that have a reputation for coming adrift - the genuine Kawasaki later part with the stainless steel sleeve crimped over the magnets is more than the KLE currently owes me in total, hence Electrixworld's price of $AU250 for one looks attractive.

1978 R100RS| 1984 R65 | 1992 KLE500 | 2002 R1150GSA

IP Logged

guyom

Reply #7 - 01/22/16 at 14:02:23
Post Tools
HI tony, agree with you : M-unit just for entire new rewiring. That's i'm going to do...

For Electrex RR, yes they provided a diagram. Very easy to install, just remove the Regulator and diode board and then plug the new on to alternator and battery, That's why my question : the RR fits pretty well under the front cover at the place of the diode board... it fits so well, and will be hidden... but no air flow... or I should make a trap with a grid on the cover...

which could be another idea...

I'm going to post some pictures  Wink

IP Logged

Barry
God Member

Reply #8 - 01/22/16 at 15:21:22
Post Tools
There is some air flow via the intake vents in the bottom of the front cover. It flows out via the starter cavity top cover.  The top cover has been designed to create a negative pressure above it to encourage the air flow. Whether there is enough cooling air flow is the question.  It's enough flow for the stock components. Is there any reason why the new components should create more heat.

Barry Cheshire, England 79 R45

IP Logged

guyom

Reply #9 - 01/25/16 at 10:45:04
Post Tools
HI Barry. Thanks for precision. About your question

Is there any reason why the new components should create more heat.

Under the front cover, there's just the diode board... and not the regulator, which is under the tank. The Electrex RR45 has a big heat sync to cool down the electronic part. As bob said it uses Zener diodes so does it need to have important air flow... I try to contact electrex but no answer. Anyway for the moment i put it under the tank, behind the place of the 3 relays which are going to be remove. But definitely, under the front cover should be great.

Investigation continuing... Thanks guys!

IP Logged

skippyc

Shouldn't have sold them
old bikes.

Reply #10 - 01/25/16 at 19:05:30
Post Tools
I have only experience with podtronic regulators for English bikes and they use thyristors which dissipate a little less power than a Zenor. if you use power consuming devices on your bike they don't generate much heat and neither will a zenor.

IP Logged

guyom

Reply #11 - 01/26/16 at 11:08:02
Post Tools
Thanks skippyc. I tempted to place it under the cover. I will explain my hesitation : if i place it under the front cover, i need to cut the wire and let 15cm the RR45 was closed to the alternator. And remove the connexion wire. I put it under the tank the RR45 was far from the alternator and need to have at list 30cm of wire...

anyway...

IP Logged

guyom

Reply #12 - 02/01/16 at 14:01:04
Post Tools
Hi guys, to conclude the topic on RR45 : Electrex answered me and do not recommend mounting it in the original location in the engine, best to place it somewhere where it has some air flow.

So under the tank !

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint