Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Tubeless? (Read 2047 times)
Billmc

Still Crazy After All
These Years....

Re: Tubeless?
Reply #15 - 05/12/17 at 08:58:18
Post Tools
[quote author=Tonysmithau link=1491795469/14#14  [/quote]

The one thing I will add to the mix is that access for a tyre chuck is pretty lousy on LS rims and positively beastly on snowflakes - if you possibly can buy a 90 degree valve stem, you will be so glad you did.
[/quote]

I agree with Tony's suggestion on the longer, 90 degree valve stem. I did this when I mounted the new Michelin Pilot Actives and its made a world of difference being able to get to them. They are also BOLT ON metal and I have had no problems with them.

1987 R65 Silver

IP Logged

Luke D.

Hakuna Matata

Reply #16 - 05/16/17 at 09:20:59
Post Tools
Good day all,  Thank you for all of your responses and help.  I brought my wheels to a shop and they said that they would not change them over to tubeless because it does not say tubeless on my rims. Sad  So I have decided to just leave the tubes in and buy a spare.  Thank you again for all your help. Takk

Dont worry and be happy!

1982 R65LS

IP Logged

Luke D.

Hakuna Matata

Reply #17 - 04/17/18 at 08:46:20
Post Tools
Hello everyone,  Instead of starting a new post I will add on to my prior post with a slightly different question about the same thing (tubeless).  Since the couple places I took my wheels to said they would not mount them and to tubeless because it did not say tubeless on the rim is there a different wheel that will fit the r65ls that IS tubeless? Maybe a K bike or maybe a newer R (newer than 1982 that is)?  My uncle is talking about a trip up to Alaska and I really like my bike and don't want a new one. (well, I do but that's not in the cards right now Smiley ). He said he would strongly recommend getting tubeless tires.  Any help is appreciated, Takk.

Dont worry and be happy!

1982 R65LS

IP Logged

Matt Chapter
God Member

<insert witty remark here>

Reply #18 - 04/17/18 at 11:02:54
Post Tools
Luke D. wrote on 04/17/18 at 08:46:20:
He said he would strongly recommend getting tubeless tires.

How many flats have you had in how many miles?  How many flats has *he* had in how many miles?  What advantage does he imagine tubeless tires gives?  Clearly a tubed tire has two layers to keep air in...

Given that this is a cross country type trip, you may even find yourself on dirt or gravel roads where the puncture probability goes up.  If you had to change a tubeless tire, are you bringing a spare tire? Patch kit? Rim lube and tire levers? Air compressor or co2 cartridges?

Certainly flat tires were more prevalent in the past, I would argue that tire technology (aside from being tubeless) has improved quite a bit and reduced the chances of a flat.

'86 R65 with '84 motor ~66000 miles.  SS lines, Spiegler rotor, Progressive monoshock, Keihan silencers, a piece of Pichler fairing.
'76 CB400F ~26000 miles.  Weepy SS lines, big dent in the tank.

IP Logged

Luke D.

Hakuna Matata

Reply #19 - 04/18/18 at 09:19:40
Post Tools
Good day Matt,  You do have a point about flats as I have never had one (knock on wood) and he has had one (ktm 1190 tubeless spokes, the rim strip was not on correctly).  I do carry an extra tube and levers right now and he carries a tubeless patch kit.  I think his thinking is that it is much easier to plug a tubeless tire and keep going than having to put a new tube in.  I think that is his thinking. Smiley I believe we would be riding mostly on pavement but I have read that up in Alaska there is ALWAYS road construction where they take up the pavement and have gravel.  Thank you for your help and thought provoking questions.  I thought it strange to that he keeps wanting me to go tubeless as our last trip out west (4000 miles) had no issues (but no dirt roads).

Dont worry and be happy!

1982 R65LS

IP Logged

Justin B.
YaBB Administrator

I love my Beemers

Reply #20 - 04/21/18 at 19:45:38
Post Tools
I rode an R100/7 up the ALCAN highway in 1979 when it was really a mess and between Dawson Creek and Fairbanks I went through 3 rear tubes and had 2 or 3 patches on the last one!  For regular touring I don't think you can beat tubeless but when it gets gnarly I think a tube has something going for it when it come time to do a roadside repair.

Justin B.

2004 BMW R1150RT
1981 R100RT - Summer bike, NEKKID!!!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint