Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Clutch Cable Cunundrum (Read 901 times)
jp9094

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Clutch Cable Conundrum
Reply #15 - 06/18/17 at 22:01:59
Post Tools
Hi All,

Have finally acquired all the parts to replace the cable. Just one final question. Where in the cable adjuster does the felt ring go? It is not very long so will either sit at the adjuster end, hand lever end (my guess) or in the middle! Does anyone have a definitive answer? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Best regards to all.

"It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts"

IP Logged

Mrclubike
God Member

Re: Clutch Cable Cunundrum
Reply #16 - 06/18/17 at 23:17:37
Post Tools
When I installed the taller handlebars I had to drill a hole thru the dash pad to keep from bending the cable  and causing the wear you speak of

_MAS0061_001.JPG ( 573 KB | Downloads )
_MAS0061_001.JPG

Buzzing along on my tubeless 82 R65
Industrial mobile equipment Mechanic  for over 35years  

IP Logged

jp9094

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Clutch Cable Conundrum
Reply #17 - 06/25/17 at 21:57:46
Post Tools
Hi All,

Finally put it all together. I answered my own question when I found the felt ring will only fit in the adjuster end. I did, however notice that a filter from a cigarette has almost the same diameter and length as the felt , so I sliced one length wise, added some WD 40 and put it in at the lever end. I also managed to get the nacelle to seat all the way.  As the cable is new did not need much adjustment to get the correct length at the other end so the cable does not make much of an angle to get under the nacelle/impact pad. Makes a noticeable difference having the correct clutch adjustment when shifting. Many thanks to all who replied and gave advice!

FWIW

IP Logged

jp9094

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Clutch Cable Cunundrum
Reply #18 - 04/08/18 at 16:40:08
Post Tools
Just an update. In spite of my best efforts, the cable snapped again and this less than 12 months and 2000 miles after replacement. When I installed handguards, I had to rotate the clutch lever back to a position that bent the cable.

Have bitten the bullet, and rotated the handlebars so that the cable will now pass under the notch in the nacelle that appears to be the correct position. In addition I have ordered a shorter cable (1386 mm as opposed to 1410 mm) because installing the longer one required winding out the cable adjuster almost to the end of its travel. When the new one arrives, will take some photos for the group.

Many thanks to all!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint