Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Clutch Cable Cunundrum (Read 905 times)
jp9094

I Love YaBB 2!

Clutch Cable Cunundrum
05/23/17 at 16:42:04
Post Tools
I recently had the misfortune of having the clutch cable of my 1983 r 65 LS break while driving. I managed to find a bicycle shop near where I broke down and made a quick repair. I have temporized the repair with a screw on nipple at the clutch hand end I obtained. The only bright spot was that I was forced to reset the free play to the correct dimension and it has made a big difference in shifting (have only had the bike for 12 months).

Now here is my problem. The bike does not have the original (black) handlebars. They are definitely higher than the stock bars, but are chrome. The BMW fiche calls for a 1495 mm long cable for the stock "high" bars". I measured the broken cable and it is around 1403 mm long. Does this ring a bell with anyone? I would like to get the correct replacement and not have to hold my breath every time I go for a ride. Any and all assistance appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

"It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts"

IP Logged

jp9094

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Clutch Cable Conundrum
Reply #1 - 05/23/17 at 16:44:52
Post Tools
PS, sorry for the misspelling. Also the original cable is 1.65 mm and the one I have now is 1.5 mm.  Not sure if this will make a big difference!

IP Logged

Barry
God Member

Re: Clutch Cable Cunundrum
Reply #2 - 05/24/17 at 02:08:55
Post Tools
1403mm is not a stock size being longer than the low bars cable and shorter than the high bars.

Perhaps it could be a cable from another model airhead. A trawl through the parts fiche might turn something up.

http://www.maxbmwmotorcycles.com/fiche/PartsFiche.aspx

Barry Cheshire, England 79 R45

IP Logged

jp9094

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 05/24/17 at 10:12:39
Post Tools
Barry, thanks for the reply. I actually re measured the broken cable and it comes out as 56 inches (1422 mm).

Closest I could find was 1410 mm for an r 80/r 100/Mistic. There seems to be a slightly longer one at 1435 mm. Not sure which one to try? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

georgesgiralt
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 05/24/17 at 10:37:19
Post Tools
I, for one would go for the OEM cable, even if it is longer than the one which broke.
It will be easier to route and will not have short turnings.. giving longer life.
But it is just me Wink

IP Logged

Barry
God Member

Reply #5 - 05/24/17 at 14:06:40
Post Tools
You could decide which to choose on the basis of how good a fit the original cable was. If it was a little too long I'd go for the 12mm shorter one. If it was the perfect length then I'd go for the one that is 13mm longer.

Barry Cheshire, England 79 R45

IP Logged

jp9094

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 05/24/17 at 20:33:32
Post Tools
Thank you all for your replies. I have taken an "executive" decision and have ordered an OEM 1410 mm cable.

I will let you know how the installation goes once it has arrived.

Best regards to all,

IP Logged

jp9094

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Clutch Cable Cunondrum (Update)
Reply #7 - 05/29/17 at 13:42:52
Post Tools
Still waiting for the replacement to arrive. However 2 things to note. While cleaning up some paperwork on my desk, I came across an invoice for some repairs done by the PO. This included replacement of the clutch cable with the part #. Turns out I have ordered the same part # so should be good to go (the 1410 mm long cable). The down side is that the cable I am replacing is only 2 years old. Is that a reasonable lifespan for an OEM cable??

Also, my temporary repair failed yesterday. At the same location as the original ie. 3 3/4 inches from the nipple on the handlebar end of the cable. Does this say anything to anybody? Is there a defect somewhere I can correct? Any info is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

Bob_Roller
Global Moderator

GMT -7 Hours

Reply #8 - 05/29/17 at 14:03:41
Post Tools
Clutch cable should last a lot longer than 2 years .

My current cable, was installed in 1993 .

'81 R65
'82 R65 LS  
'84 R65 LS
'87 Moto Guzzi V65 Lario
'02 R1150R
Riding all year long since 1993 .
I'll give up my R65, when they pry my cold dead hands from the handlebars !!!!!

IP Logged

Bob_Roller
Global Moderator

GMT -7 Hours

Reply #9 - 05/30/17 at 17:08:23
Post Tools
The only thing I can think of that may be causing your cable to fail, is possibly a felt like material that is supposed to be in the threaded adjuster at the handlebar, I think to keep the cable centered and not touching the adjuster itself, if it's not there, it may be causing the problem .

Other than that, I have no other ideas .

'81 R65
'82 R65 LS  
'84 R65 LS
'87 Moto Guzzi V65 Lario
'02 R1150R
Riding all year long since 1993 .
I'll give up my R65, when they pry my cold dead hands from the handlebars !!!!!

IP Logged

tunnelrider

Reply #10 - 05/31/17 at 04:32:18
Post Tools
Jp, I replaced my clutch cable a couple of years ago (it snapped at the handlebar lever, lost the nipple) with an aftermarket cable and discovered the other day the 'new' cable sheath has split underneath the instruments, exposing the spiral steel outer support.  It seems this has been caused by too sharp a bend to go behind the steering stem, or wear by rubbing against something (probably a combination of the two..)

Not sure if this is what's caused your problem but it may be something to consider?  I'm a bit miffed at having to order another cable after a couple of years too, although it hasn't actually failed (yet).  I pulled my 'new' cable through behind the old one to route it but this time will re-route it with the headlight/instrument mount off to avoid such an acute bend in the cable.

1985 Black R65  -  1983 Ducati Pantah 500 - 2001 DRZ400 dirt only

IP Logged

tunnelrider

Reply #11 - 05/31/17 at 05:59:23
Post Tools
On a closer look the split is from the cable rubbing against the instrument housing and wore through the plastic sheath. I think the bend is ok so that probably isn't your issue either.  I might try protecting the next one, or at least placing it more carefully!

Clutch_cable_1.JPG ( 954 KB | Downloads )
Clutch_cable_1.JPG
Clutch_cable_2.JPG ( 120 KB | Downloads )
Clutch_cable_2.JPG

1985 Black R65  -  1983 Ducati Pantah 500 - 2001 DRZ400 dirt only

IP Logged

marcmax
God Member

Any day on two wheels
is a good day

Reply #12 - 05/31/17 at 09:43:29
Post Tools
When I first picked up my R65 I was told it had a very recent clutch cable yet it broke within the first year. Believe it or not, it had been installed without the little barrel that fits into the lever, just the mushroom head on the end of the cable holding it into the lever. Broke right at that point.

cable_001.jpg ( 8 KB | Downloads )
cable_001.jpg

Keep your bike in good repair:  motorcycle boots are not comfortable for walking.  

1982 R65ls        1984 R65ls        1991 K75

IP Logged

jp9094

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #13 - 06/01/17 at 11:21:21
Post Tools
Many thanks to all for the helpful replies. I think I may have found the culprit. When I measured where the break was occurring on the bike, I found it was happening where the cable dipped under the fairing on the nacelle of the LS.

Not having the original handlebars which are lower and flatter, the cable makes about a 120 degree bend to pass underneath. I loosened and rotated the lever assembly so that the cable does not make such an abrupt bend. Am hoping that this helps alleviate the problem. I also noticed that the previous arrangement did not allow the nacelle to seat properly. When the replacement cable arrives I will try and sort out these problems. Am also thinking of obtaining the original bars and installing them.

Again, many thanks to all who replied.

Best regards to all.

IP Logged

jp9094

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #14 - 06/18/17 at 22:01:17
Post Tools
Hi All,

Have finally acquired all the parts to replace the cable. Just one final question. Where in the cable adjuster does the felt ring go? It is not very long so will either sit at the adjuster end, hand lever end (my guess) or in the middle! Does anyone have a definitive answer? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Best regards to all.

IP Logged

jp9094

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #15 - 06/18/17 at 22:01:59
Post Tools
Hi All,

Have finally acquired all the parts to replace the cable. Just one final question. Where in the cable adjuster does the felt ring go? It is not very long so will either sit at the adjuster end, hand lever end (my guess) or in the middle! Does anyone have a definitive answer? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Best regards to all.

IP Logged

Mrclubike
God Member

Reply #16 - 06/18/17 at 23:17:37
Post Tools
When I installed the taller handlebars I had to drill a hole thru the dash pad to keep from bending the cable  and causing the wear you speak of

_MAS0061_001.JPG ( 573 KB | Downloads )
_MAS0061_001.JPG

Buzzing along on my tubeless 82 R65
Industrial mobile equipment Mechanic  for over 35years  

IP Logged

jp9094

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #17 - 06/25/17 at 21:57:46
Post Tools
Hi All,

Finally put it all together. I answered my own question when I found the felt ring will only fit in the adjuster end. I did, however notice that a filter from a cigarette has almost the same diameter and length as the felt , so I sliced one length wise, added some WD 40 and put it in at the lever end. I also managed to get the nacelle to seat all the way.  As the cable is new did not need much adjustment to get the correct length at the other end so the cable does not make much of an angle to get under the nacelle/impact pad. Makes a noticeable difference having the correct clutch adjustment when shifting. Many thanks to all who replied and gave advice!

FWIW

IP Logged

jp9094

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #18 - 04/08/18 at 16:40:08
Post Tools
Just an update. In spite of my best efforts, the cable snapped again and this less than 12 months and 2000 miles after replacement. When I installed handguards, I had to rotate the clutch lever back to a position that bent the cable.

Have bitten the bullet, and rotated the handlebars so that the cable will now pass under the notch in the nacelle that appears to be the correct position. In addition I have ordered a shorter cable (1386 mm as opposed to 1410 mm) because installing the longer one required winding out the cable adjuster almost to the end of its travel. When the new one arrives, will take some photos for the group.

Many thanks to all!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint