Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Might have to sell my bike.... (Read 502 times)
AJB

I Love YaBB 2!

Might have to sell my bike....
06/21/17 at 14:49:31
Post Tools
I've just had an unexpected cost come in that I need to find some money for, and one of my options is to sell my motorcycle.

Can any of you gurus give me an idea of what it is worth (in the UK)?  It's a 1982 build, 1984 registered R65LS in silver with just over 16000 miles on.  She's in pretty good original (unmolested) condition - not concours, but was looked after bloody well by the previous owner so is in a very good state. 

I have pictures somewhere so I'll try and dig them out later.  I can see one on ebay uk listed at £3900 that is also in great condition but has 40k miles on.

What do we reckon it's worth?  And as it is quite a niche model, where would be the best place to sell it?

Any advice gratefully received!

1982 R65LS | 1999 R1100S

IP Logged

nhmaf
Global Moderator

Free at last, Free at
last!

Re: Might have to sell my bike....
Reply #1 - 06/21/17 at 19:09:38
Post Tools
This is a tough one to answer - not that we don't want to help - but the pricing of airheads, and very much so the pricing of R65 models, varies tremendously by region.  And time of year.   In the USA, an R65LS in condition like your with panniers could be worth $3K or a bit more, in my area.   Out in California, especially near SanFransisco for some reason, I've seen them sell easily for $4000 or a bit more.  Some places in the south and midwest part of the US, even a nice clean bike may struggle to get $2500.     Selling in the winter time over here, when only the folks in the south get much riding in, causes prices to tank.

As I don't know the specifics of your area or the airhead market in the UK, I think only some of our members from over your way are likely to be of much help.

I hope you are able to solve your cash problem without having to sell the bike - yes, it is only a motorcycle.  But it is the sort of bird that doesn't often come around to one's garage.

Airhead #12178   BMWMOA #123173  BMWRA #33525  GSBMWR #563  1982 BMW R65LS  1978 BMW R100/7 1998 Kawasaki Concours

IP Logged

Barry
God Member

Reply #2 - 06/22/17 at 06:50:51
Post Tools
I think £3900 for a bike with 40K is a touch optimistic but it's the ball park you should be aiming for. 

For guidance on prices and where to sell, a google search "BMW R65ls for sale" should bring up several classic bike web sites. There won't be too many R65's actually for sale so you could widen the search and try R80 to see how they are priced.  When you search you will see the  silly scrambler make over bikes at £8000.  If someone is daft enough to pay that who knows what you'll get for a mint original  R65Ls.

Barry Cheshire, England 79 R45

IP Logged

AJB

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 06/22/17 at 15:13:54
Post Tools
Thanks gents.  I am looking at other options so hopefully it won't come to selling.  Thanks for the suggection of classic bike sites also - I hadn't thought of that

1982 R65LS | 1999 R1100S

IP Logged

Lucky_Lou
God Member

shoot first

Reply #4 - 06/22/17 at 16:26:17
Post Tools
A bike is only worth what someone will pay for it....  if you were to trade it in for something else you will get a high price but on the open market you have too be realistic I think it is a good time of year  to sell a bike but anything north of 2.5K would be a good result given what else is about.
There are some great deals on Guzzi,s etc. at the Moment
Lou

Ask questions later
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint