Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Cardwell Ride (Read 80 times)
Tony Smith
God Member

Graduate, Wallace and
Gromit School of Engineering

Cardwell Ride
07/07/17 at 01:48:44
Post Tools
Two weeks ago I attended the annual Cardwell get together by the Cairns, Tablelands and Townsville motorcycle restorer's club.

I was to be the "ride captain" for the Cairns and Tablelands contingent but it wasn't to be. I have a old shoulder injury which occasionally causes me a fair bit of pain and riding either the R65 or the KLE was beyond me, so I decided to take the R1150GSA. I even went for a quick evening blast up the Cook highway to Pt Douglas  (search for that in Youtube it is worth seeing, a road cut into the sea facing cliffs, sea on one side and rainforest on the other) as a systems check as it hadn't been out for a couple of weeks.

Imagine my annoyance when on Saturday morning Sylvia and I were all ready to go and the blasted gel battery had died.

A quick trip to a car place 10km away secured a new battery, but unfortunately I tore one of the "O"rings in one of the dry disconnect fuel connectors, so further delay while I fished the torn "O" ring out and found another. Two hours late on departure but worth the trip. Peter Boric was waiting for us in Tully on his R65LS but was not able to go to Cardwell with us due to family commitments.

Anyway, we got there, some alcohol was taken and lies were told......

Far and away the most impressive effort was Murray and his Wife Carol on (respectively) a Vincent Black Shadow and a Vincent Comet. Booth were exquisitely restored completed with period correct luggage. I was especially impressed by the comet as many surviving Comets have had new build Shadow engines fitted and are sold to the unwary as Rapides, Shadows and even Lightnings.

When Murray and Carol left, to the great amusement of all present Murray took 4 or 5 kicks to get the twin going, whereas Carol authoritatively kicked the Comet and it obliged by starting immediately.

non-startign_GSA.jpg ( 156 KB | Downloads )
non-startign_GSA.jpg
Comet_-_Cardwell.JPG ( 172 KB | Downloads )
Comet_-_Cardwell.JPG
shadow_and_comet_-_cardwell.JPG ( 157 KB | Downloads )
shadow_and_comet_-_cardwell.JPG

1978 R100RS| 1984 R65 | 1984 XT350 | 1992 KLE500 | 2002 R1150GSA

IP Logged

skippyc

Shouldn't have sold them
old bikes.

Re: Cardwell Ride
Reply #1 - 07/07/17 at 18:44:11
Post Tools
Looks like a bit of modification of the rear suspension on the comet to make it more comfortable.

IP Logged

Tony Smith
God Member

Graduate, Wallace and
Gromit School of Engineering

Reply #2 - 07/07/17 at 19:48:50
Post Tools
skippyc wrote on 07/07/17 at 18:44:11:
Looks like a bit of modification of the rear suspension on the comet to make it more comfortable.

You mean the gas Girling shockie? If so yes, a very necessary modification to my recollection.

1978 R100RS| 1984 R65 | 1984 XT350 | 1992 KLE500 | 2002 R1150GSA

IP Logged

skippyc

Shouldn't have sold them
old bikes.

Reply #3 - 07/08/17 at 17:49:30
Post Tools
Yes I talked to a group of Vincent owner riders at the All British rally and they were honest to say that the suspension system didn't give the best of ride.
I had series D which has the seat attached to the bottom of the engine and not the canterlever, it was an improvement over the series C. Which I have never ridden.

stickshed_010.JPG ( 279 KB | Downloads )
stickshed_010.JPG

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint