Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Solar Eclipse (Read 176 times)
Bob_Roller
Global Moderator

GMT -7 Hours

Solar Eclipse
08/20/17 at 22:47:44
Post Tools
From what I have seen, Ed Miller in Falls City, Or. is in the region of total eclipse on Monday, August 21, 2017.

Anyone else plan on viewing this in other parts of the US ??

Here in Phoenix, about a 60% eclipse viewable here, around 10 AM local .

'81 R65
'82 R65 LS  
'84 R65 LS
'87 Moto Guzzi V65 Lario
'02 R1150R
Riding all year long since 1993 .
I'll give up my R65, when they pry my cold dead hands from the handlebars !!!!!

IP Logged

marcmax
God Member

Any day on two wheels
is a good day

Re: Solar Eclipse
Reply #1 - 08/21/17 at 07:29:31
Post Tools
I had been planning on it. Got me camera gear serviced, bought a solar filter to fit my long lens and spent the week taking pictures of the sun getting exposures dialed in. Woke up this morning and the entire SE coast is under cloud cover from a low pressure area in the tropics.  Cry

Keep your bike in good repair:  motorcycle boots are not comfortable for walking.  

1982 R65ls        1984 R65ls        1991 K75

IP Logged

Bob_Roller
Global Moderator

GMT -7 Hours

Reply #2 - 08/21/17 at 17:04:54
Post Tools
I was off of work today, so I watched the eclipse from home .

If you didn't know about this event, you probably wouldn't have noticed it here in Phoenix .

I did place a thermometer in direct sunlight and saw a 12 degree  F. reduction in temperature at the height of the eclipse, which was around 60%  .

Air temp went up 7 degrees F within 30 minutes after the maximum shadow passed us here .

'81 R65
'82 R65 LS  
'84 R65 LS
'87 Moto Guzzi V65 Lario
'02 R1150R
Riding all year long since 1993 .
I'll give up my R65, when they pry my cold dead hands from the handlebars !!!!!

IP Logged

Ed Miller
God Member

Reply #3 - 08/21/17 at 19:58:43
Post Tools
I was at work here in Albany and went out to the parking lot to view it.  I had some glasses, darker than my welding helmet.  Totality lasted longer at my house than it did here, I think, but only by about 30 seconds or so.  I've read that we had one here in about 1979, when I was in high school, but I think I would have remembered that.  I liked it, though my eyes aren't good enough to see any flares or anything but a glowing ring around the moon that is parts of the sun you can't normally see (corona). 

Mel from Boxerworks camped in my back yard last night, he's a good guy.  I was a poor host though as I had to work 12 hour shifts yesterday and today so didn't get home until late, then had to go to bed to get up again this morning.  My wife fixed him steak so maybe he'll be all right.

Ed Miller
'81 r65
Falls City, OR

IP Logged

Justin B.
YaBB Administrator

I love my Beemers

Reply #4 - 08/21/17 at 20:07:49
Post Tools
I peeked at it a few times through my welding helmet.  I'd seen partials before so no biggie.  I did notice, however, that my solar array output dropped about 75% at the "peak" of it...  I think Texas is supposed to get a "total" in 2024.  Gives me something to live for, maybe...

Justin B.

2004 BMW R1150RT
1981 R100RT - Summer bike, NEKKID!!!
IP Logged

Rob Valdez 79 R65

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 08/24/17 at 14:33:49
Post Tools
I had scheduled Monday and Tuesday off work so I could relax and enjoy myself, as it was only about a 4-5 hour drive from me to southern Illinois.
When I scheduled the time, I was surprised that no one else was taking the time off.

Then, about 2 weeks before, I walk in, and boss calls me in his office: "Frank wants to know if you had anything planned for those two days off".  (Frank covers for me when I take off - I knew what he wanted).

I smiled, and said "no problem, Frank can have it".

Good thing, too, as that night my car [alternator] crapped out on me, and I had to take two days off emergency to get it fixed.  And my confidence still had not returned in time for the trip, so all for the best, I guess.

But yeah, the next one will start in Mazatlan, go near Durango and Torreon; leaving Mexico in Piedras Negras; cut through the heart of Texas headed NE; Arkansas; Carbondale, IL; Bloomington, IN (just south of me); Cleveland, OH; Buffalo, Rochester, NY; south of Montreal; bum-fk, Maine; New Brunswick; Newfoundland

Yeah, I got the app on my phone...

IP Logged

Rob Valdez 79 R65

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 08/24/17 at 15:55:23
Post Tools
Here is a great video of some guys that caught the International Space Station transit across the eclipse!

https://youtu.be/lepQoU4oek4

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint