Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Autonomous Vehicles (Read 135 times)
Bob_Roller
Global Moderator

GMT -7 Hours

Autonomous Vehicles
09/05/17 at 18:13:16
Post Tools
In the part of the Phoenix area where I live, three various companies have been testing self driving cars for about two years .

On my way home from work today, I was behind one from WAYMO, the division of Google .

The vehicle now used, is a Fiat / Chrysler Pacifica, large van .

Most of the exterior sensors are hidden behind fairings, so it doesn't stick out in traffic as much as the Lexus RX350's did with all their sensors exposed .

I was on a low speed, 30 mph street going through residential neighborhoods .

There was construction on this street, replacing concrete curbs that had buckled due to the heat here .

This street is one lane both directions with a center turn lane .

When you came up one a construction area on your side of the street, there were cones and signs directing traffic into the center turn lane .

This self driving car did not know what to do when it came up on this, it turned left, then right, then came to a stop, had the look that it was confused .

Driver was doing something in the vehicle with the controls .

Finally after 30 seconds the vehicle started moving this happened at each lane change with the cones and signs .

Got onto a major surface street, speed limit 45 mph .

A pick up truck about 150 yards/ meters pulled out from a side street and merged into the opposite direction traffic .

This self driving vehicle braked heavily and slowed to around 20 mph, even though the truck was travelling quickly no where near a threat of a collision .

Looks like there is still a lot of work to go before this will become mainstream .

I have seen three different company vehicles in my neighborhood, WAYMO, Intel and Uber .

Next time I'm next to one, I'm going to mess with it and see what it does !!! Roll Eyes

[edit]
As of 28 August 2014, according to Computer World Google's self-driving cars were in fact unable to use about 99% of US roads.[57] As of the same date, the latest prototype had not been tested in heavy rain or snow due to safety concerns.[58] Because the cars rely primarily on pre-programmed route data, they do not obey temporary traffic lights and, in some situations, revert to a slower "extra cautious" mode in complex unmapped intersections. The vehicle has difficulty identifying when objects, such as trash and light debris, are harmless, causing the vehicle to veer unnecessarily. Additionally, the lidar technology cannot spot some potholes or discern when humans, such as a police officer, are signaling the car to stop.[59] Google projects plan on having these issues fixed by 2020
« Last Edit: 09/07/17 at 21:08:58 by Bob_Roller »  

'81 R65
'82 R65 LS  
'84 R65 LS
'87 Moto Guzzi V65 Lario
'02 R1150R
Riding all year long since 1993 .
I'll give up my R65, when they pry my cold dead hands from the handlebars !!!!!

IP Logged

Justin B.
YaBB Administrator

I love my Beemers

Re: Autonomous Vehicles
Reply #1 - 09/05/17 at 22:23:19
Post Tools
I'm really luke-warm to this whole autonomous vehicle thing.  It would be nice on a controlled access system but on city streets?  No thanks...  It would, however, be nice to get on the interstate, punch in where you want to go and be there by the time your movie is finished!

Justin B.

2004 BMW R1150RT
1981 R100RT - Summer bike, NEKKID!!!
IP Logged

BPT

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 09/05/17 at 23:53:46
Post Tools
I agree with you Justin. I'm no Luddite but there seem to be way too many variables on our crowded streets and highways for this to work too well.  So many things can happen in a split second that I don't know how they could react in time.

I'd be happy with a more extensive train system around here.

1983 R65 w/ Velorex 562 Sidecar

IP Logged

Barry
God Member

Reply #3 - 09/06/17 at 08:14:37
Post Tools
My view is while they can probably be made safe, it will be very slow and tedious for the rest of us. Imagine when there are lots of them on the road. It will be like they herded together every nervous, brake happy driver they could find. 

Barry Cheshire, England 79 R45

IP Logged

wilcom
God Member

Reply #4 - 09/06/17 at 08:57:53
Post Tools
Barry wrote on 09/06/17 at 08:14:37:
It will be like they herded together every nervous, brake happy driver they could find. 

It's going to be frustrating, especially when you think that you can honk your horn( you know, that long blast that say's FU) or flip them off........... and you realize it's not a language they understand!  Grin

Joe Wilkerson
Telephone man with a splash of Data
Menifee, CA

Present:
1984 BMW R65LS
past:
1979  R65   
1980  R65          
1982 R80RT 
1974 R90/6     
1972  R75        
1964 R50

IP Logged

Barry
God Member

Reply #5 - 09/06/17 at 12:10:25
Post Tools
Would an autonomous vehicle pass a driving test ?

I think they would struggle.

One criteria in the UK driving test is that the vehicle must be driven  at an adequate speed. Driving perfectly safely but too slow will not pass the test due to "failing to make adequate progress"

Barry Cheshire, England 79 R45

IP Logged

Lucky_Lou
God Member

shoot first

Reply #6 - 09/06/17 at 16:53:38
Post Tools
Not doubt if they get the software anywhere near usable there will be Hackers queuing  up to screw with it.
Lou

Ask questions later
IP Logged

Bob_Roller
Global Moderator

GMT -7 Hours

Reply #7 - 09/07/17 at 21:13:57
Post Tools
Well, it was my lucky week. doing some errands today after work, I got behind another WAYMO vehicle .

The brakelights on the vhicle came on 38 times in a little oveer 2 miles .

This was in heavy traffic on a major surface street, 45 mph speed limit, 3 lanes in each direction .

The vehicle attempted a lane change, more than enough distance between vehicles to accomplish this maneuver, but the vehicle went half way into the lane, then returned into the lane it was in originally .

My confidence in this technology, at least now is not very high .

'81 R65
'82 R65 LS  
'84 R65 LS
'87 Moto Guzzi V65 Lario
'02 R1150R
Riding all year long since 1993 .
I'll give up my R65, when they pry my cold dead hands from the handlebars !!!!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint