Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) new owner - new member (Read 310 times)
sandiego87Mono
YaBB Newbies

new owner - new member
09/16/17 at 16:21:34
Post Tools
Hello Inmates - I've been off a bike for quite a while and with the decision to get a motorcycle again - in the search for what bike to get - i found this forum.  It, and you if you read this or have posted in the past, is certainly a contributing factor in my purchase decision.  I am the happy new owner/steward of a 1987 BMW R65 (Monoshock) - I know some of the purists will love the short wheel base and style of the early bikes (i do as well) - the pragmatist in me chose this very lightly used machine as my new ride.

I have receipts for major service (seals, fluid changes, steering bearings, tank clean) done in the past few years and past two thousand miles from one of the locals dealerships - my first steps are to change all the fluids in the bike with refresh/forensic eyes.  From that its time to ride and see how it goes.

As a new airhead owner - i am open to, and hopeful for, suggestions as to other areas to inspect/investigate.  i'm not looking to make a lot of cosmetic changes to the bike, and am hoping for the reliable/authentic BMW motorcycle experience

Seth

BMW_1987_R65_-_3.jpg ( 59 KB | 8 Downloads )
BMW_1987_R65_-_3.jpg
BMW_1987_R65_-_1.jpg ( 46 KB | 6 Downloads )
BMW_1987_R65_-_1.jpg
BMW_1987_R65_-_gauges.jpg ( 25 KB | 4 Downloads )
BMW_1987_R65_-_gauges.jpg

1987 R65

IP Logged

Barry
God Member

Re: new owner - new member
Reply #1 - 09/16/17 at 16:42:03
Post Tools
Welcome Seth, 

That's a very nice looking bike and at only 10,000 miles you are unlikely to have many problems.  One thing that ages regardless of mileage and worth checking is anything made of rubber, particularly the speedo cable rubber at the gearbox end.

Barry Cheshire, England 79 R45

IP Logged

wilcom
God Member

Reply #2 - 09/16/17 at 17:38:37
Post Tools
[quote author=sandiego87Mono link=1505596894/0#0 date=1505596894]Hello Inmates - I've been off a bike for quite a while and with the decision to get a motorcycle again - in the search for what bike to get - i found this forum. 

Welcome aboard! In San Diego you have 365 riding days a year to put on the miles and with 10K on the clock you have made a good selection.

Check the date code on the tires(rubber stuff) They may look good but could have lost a lot of "stickyness" with age.

Joe Wilkerson
Telephone man with a splash of Data
Menifee, CA

Present:
1984 BMW R65LS "Herr Head"
past:
1979  R65   
1980  R65          
1982 R80RT 
1974 R90/6     
1972  R75        
1964 R50

IP Logged

Justin B.
YaBB Administrator

I love my Beemers

Reply #3 - 09/17/17 at 16:02:41
Post Tools
Welcome to the asylum.  Although the monoshock R65s loose some of the original R65's short-wheelbase nimbleness and lighter weight it more than makes up for it in lack of rear wheel spline lube jobs!  I miss my mono...

Justin B.

2004 BMW R1150RT
1981 R100RT - Summer bike, NEKKID!!!
IP Logged

Rob Valdez 79 R65

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 09/18/17 at 11:02:27
Post Tools
Justin B. wrote on 09/17/17 at 16:02:41:
Welcome to the asylum.  Although the monoshock R65s loose some of the original R65's short-wheelbase nimbleness and lighter weight it more than makes up for it in lack of rear wheel spline lube jobs!  I miss my mono...

And tubeless tires...

IP Logged

mrbuck

i luv msbuck

Reply #5 - 09/18/17 at 15:17:10
Post Tools
Welcome to the forum....keep it stock...forget the farkle.

1981 R100
1998 Laverda 668
Lifan 150 cc Dirt bike
1976 Datsun 280z
1976 Datsun 620 pickup

IP Logged

Billmc

Still Crazy After All
These Years....

Reply #6 - 09/28/17 at 12:50:53
Post Tools
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your find!
I notice you have vented "dual" front disks. Mine does not. Can anyone shed light on when the factory did that or if that is aftermarket?
Check that rear shock because even though it only has 10+K miles on it its 30 years old. Mine basically collapsed on the ride home from the seller and had to be replaced. Cost nearly as much as I paid for the bike!
It also looks like you have newer panniers attached, which is a good thing. Can you tell if they are from BMW ?
Having almost the same bike as you I can say it is one of the best, if not the best Motorcycle I have ever owned or ridden. It seems to do everything I ask of it and rewards me with being very accommodating.
In the 14 months I have had it back on the road since purchase and refresh, I have put a little over 5.5K miles on her and almost all of that is road trips and touring the back roads of the Texas Hill Country.
Like any older piece of rolling machinery listen to it, keep it clean, feed it a healthy diet of fluids and rubber, respect the engineering, stretch her legs, pay attention to its needs and ride it as often as possible and I'm sure she will pay you back in kind!

roadside1.jpg ( 112 KB | 7 Downloads )
roadside1.jpg

1987 R65 Silver

IP Logged

sandiego87Mono
YaBB Newbies

Reply #7 - 10/03/17 at 13:15:07
Post Tools
Billmc wrote on 09/28/17 at 12:50:53:
Welcome to the forum and congrats on your find!
I notice you have vented "dual" front disks. Mine does not. Can anyone shed light on when the factory did that or if that is aftermarket?
Check that rear shock because even though it only has 10+K miles on it its 30 years old. Mine basically collapsed on the ride home from the seller and had to be replaced. Cost nearly as much as I paid for the bike!
It also looks like you have newer panniers attached, which is a good thing. Can you tell if they are from BMW ?

A few answers and another question -

the Dual disk was added by the previous owner - he bought the parts off ebay and had a local shop install them - i believe they are off a K-bike but i'm not 100% sure - vented floating rotors - regardless they look and stop great

the Panniers are BMW INTEGRAL side cases - pretty clean and nice - just have to find a set of locks for them - i believe these were designed for the K-bikes as well

the rear shock is one of the things on the top of my list before I start clicking off the miles - currently I've changed all the fluids and checked all the bolts and done a few reconnaissance ride - my first ride of 50 miles or so will be this weekend

My question(s) are what about the monolever bikes is similar to or stolen from the K-bike design when they were released?  front suspension? do they have anything else in common?  Also - any specific rear shock that is best for the bike? 

thanks for the help in advance

R65_-_3.jpg ( 184 KB | 7 Downloads )
R65_-_3.jpg

1987 R65

IP Logged

Matt Chapter

<insert witty remark here>

Reply #8 - 10/05/17 at 10:16:11
Post Tools
sandiego87Mono wrote on 10/03/17 at 13:15:07:
the Panniers are BMW INTEGRAL side cases - pretty clean and nice - just have to find a set of locks for them - i believe these were designed for the K-bikes as well

the rear shock is one of the things on the top of my list before I start clicking off the miles - currently I've changed all the fluids and checked all the bolts and done a few reconnaissance ride - my first ride of 50 miles or so will be this weekend

The integral bags already have locks, lift the small rectangle inside the clasp and you'll see the keyhole.  Now whether or not you have the key is an entirely different question!

For my money (and at the recommendation of a local suspension tuner), I went with a Progressive monoshock when my stock shock went out.  The price was not much more than OEM and the quality plus adjustments are well worth it.

'86 R65 with '84 motor ~64000 miles.  SS lines, Spiegler rotor, Progressive monoshock, Keihan silencers, a piece of Pichler fairing.
'76 CB400F ~26000 miles.  Weepy SS lines, big dent in the tank.

IP Logged

edgeoftheworld33
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #9 - 11/22/17 at 08:07:24
Post Tools
I am new here too.  My first post.  I rode for a few years and then stopped...minor accident, small child etc.  Fast forward 14 years and I decided it was time to ride again.  I had kept my bike all those years and after spending WAY too much to get it running again, I rode it for the first time this past weekend.  I also have a silver 1987 R65.

my_r65_small.jpg ( 361 KB | 5 Downloads )
my_r65_small.jpg

IP Logged

sandiego87Mono
YaBB Newbies

Reply #10 - 11/22/17 at 12:05:12
Post Tools
great bike and great community!!  As you will learn the silver ones are the fastest

I see you have the dual disk upgrade with the brake pipe running under the fender between the two brakes as well - what size is your master cylinder?

1987 R65

IP Logged

Tony Smith
God Member

Graduate, Wallace and
Gromit School of Engineering

Reply #11 - 11/22/17 at 22:18:54
Post Tools
I'd guess the master cylinder being 13mm.

The K100 twin-spot calipers will bolt straight on to a mono. Actually they will bolt straight onto a twin-shock too, but you would have to make custom carriers for the discs.

The discs on the Op's bike are most probably after-market as they are semi-floating on bobbins, something that wasn't done on K-bikes until after they went to 4-spot calipers. They could of course be the genuine article, but who can afford BMW's price for a complete new disc assembly?

1978 R100RS| 1984 R65 | 1984 XT350 | 1992 KLE500 | 2002 R1150GSA

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint