Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic BMW R65/80 workshop manual wanted. (Read 358 times)
brennain1
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

BMW R65/80 workshop manual wanted.
11/11/17 at 05:10:41
Post Tools
Hi, not sure if this is the correct location for this post but does anyone know where I can get a BMW-workshop manual or if it’s even possible to download a copy? I have a Haynes manual but believe it would be better to have a second source of reference. Cheers.

Past BMW’s
R80 RT
R80 ST

Current MZeds
ETZ250
Saxon Country 500cc Rotax.

IP Logged

BPT
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: BMW R65/80 workshop manual wanted.
Reply #1 - 11/11/17 at 11:29:30
Post Tools
I'm not sure what your skill level is but from what I've gathered (I'm a rookie), most will tell you that the actual BMW manuals are less helpful because they leave basic information out.  They are for the trained BMW mechanics who are expected to have a certain amount of knowledge already.

From what I've gathered, most recommend the Haynes and Clymer manuals and then some more specific ones like Rick's book on the charging system and I've also heard a lot of mentions of the Chi-tech book for electrical.

And then you use the Internet and this forum, of course.

1983 R65 w/ Velorex 562 Sidecar

IP Logged

marcmax
God Member

Any day on two wheels
is a good day

Reply #2 - 11/11/17 at 12:04:05
Post Tools
I received a copy of the BMW shop manual with the R65 I bought as a parts bike. I know what I am doing (or at least think I do  Grin ) and I scratch my head every time I have opened the factory manual. I spends most of its time on the shelf. For advice/information I use 1. This forum 2. Haynes manual 3. Local BMW club members and way down the list is the BMW shop manual.

Keep your bike in good repair:  motorcycle boots are not comfortable for walking.  

1982 R65ls        1984 R65ls        1991 K75

IP Logged

BPT
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 11/11/17 at 12:20:13
Post Tools
Also, again, this is what I've gathered from the forum, the manuals contradict each other and can be wrong, hence the multipronged approach.  Things like torque values, fluid amounts, etc, etc.

1983 R65 w/ Velorex 562 Sidecar

IP Logged

Tony Smith
God Member

Graduate, Wallace and
Gromit School of Engineering

Reply #4 - 11/11/17 at 15:15:46
Post Tools
BPT wrote on 11/11/17 at 12:20:13:
Also, again, this is what I've gathered from the forum, the manuals contradict each other and can be wrong, hence the multipronged approach.  Things like torque values, fluid amounts, etc, etc.

You are 100% correct, some manuals got it wrong (including the Factory service manuals) and sometimes BMW has had a rethink of stuff like fluid quantities in forks and final drives or cylinder head torque, or drive shaft connecting bolts.

I'll go out on a limb and say that no printed manual has ever been 100% accurate and what's more, given the increasing antiquity of the model, they now never will be.

The only near canonical source of information in one place is Snowbum, and if you haven't yet been told about him, you have now, see: 
http://bmwmotorcycletech.info/technical-articles-list.htm ;

Not only is Snowbum an excellent and usually accurate source, he also provides something to do on long winter nights and is a well known cure for insomnia.

Your next best source is forums, particularly this one.

May I also 2nd (or is it 3rd by now) the suggestion that you not bother with the factory manuals. The factory tech service manuals are not the golden source of all things BMW you might think, rather they are written for a factory trained mechanic who has access to $10k worth of factory service tools. It is entirely unhelpful if you are in the middle of tearing something apart (or putting it back together) and the text says something like 'using the Matra 759 tool engaged at the anterior end of the shaft, drive the bearing into position until the depth indicator on Matra 237 enters the green zone using shims as appropriate.

To decode the above, it involves fitting the final (fixed) gear to the forward end of the intermediate gear shaft - nothing more is required than to smack the bastard into position with a hide hammer and a 40mm socket until the bearing butts up against the marks left either by it when you removed it, or by its predecessor - but you would never work that out from the factory service manual.

I won't buy into the Clymer/Haynes debate except to say that as you discover errors in specs, a pencil note to yourself or the next owner is a good idea.

1978 R100RS| 1984 R65 | 1984 XT350 | 1992 KLE500 | 2002 R1150GSA

IP Logged

DeeG

Reply #5 - 11/11/17 at 22:10:47
Post Tools
Along with this site, Snowbum, ABC site, MOA forum and late night web searches, I also have this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Workshop-Manual-R65-R45-R65LS-1978-1979-1980-1981-1...

Not perfect, but it has helped.

Dee G
1978 R45/N  
1978 R80 w/hack
1971 R75 (swb)

IP Logged

Burt

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 11/16/17 at 16:18:09
Post Tools
Looks like a reproduction of the factory service manual with a fancy front cover. 

Here is an original currently for sale in Oz. 

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/lismore-heights/other-parts-accessories/bmw-work...

Black 1984 R65 - the Wombat

IP Logged

Rob Valdez 79 R65

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 11/28/17 at 16:30:58
Post Tools
I bought what I thought was a complete factory R65 manual while I was working for a dealer in 1989/90.
When I looked through it a few months ago, I noticed it was not complete.  Several chapters missing.  Sad
(shows how much I used it in all those years)

I think the reprint on eBay looks like the best bet.

I still have mine for sale on Craigslist, but I dropped the price when I saw all that was missing.  Better it go to an enthusiast than the recycle, I figure.
Certainly not worth shipping overseas...
https://indianapolis.craigslist.org/mpo/d/bmw-r65-factory-repair-manual/63624697...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint