Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Oil leak at kickstarter (Read 243 times)
Julio A.
God Member

Oil leak at kickstarter
01/03/18 at 07:55:45
Post Tools
Hey guys, my R65 just developed an oil leak where the kick starter enters the transmission. Does replacement of the oil seal require the removal of the transmission from the bike, or is it accessible from the outside?

Thanks

Julio Alarcon
1981 R65
1976 R90/6
2001 R1150 GS/ADV
2015 TR650

IP Logged

Barry
God Member

Re: Oil leak at kickstarter
Reply #1 - 01/03/18 at 08:53:47
Post Tools
I guess you know they are rare so there won't be many who could answer that question. How does it look on the parts fiche. Is it anything like the gear shift seal which can be done from the oustside.

Barry Cheshire, England 79 R45

IP Logged

georgesgiralt
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 01/03/18 at 11:29:54
Post Tools
I don't know if you can change the seal from outside because i couldn't remove the kick starter pedal on mine ....
Expect some difficulties. Ask a bicycle shop as how to remove the lock...

IP Logged

Tony Smith
God Member

Graduate, Wallace and
Gromit School of Engineering

Reply #3 - 01/03/18 at 15:54:17
Post Tools
I have no definitive knowledge as the only kick start BMW I have is my R100 which is effectively a /7 and I do know that the kick-start arrangements differ (in ways I can no longer recall)between "round" and "ribbed" gearboxes.

That said, I would remove the kick lever and have a look, BMW were once pretty good and making arrangements for minimal structural disturbance for service items, so I would strongly suspect that the seal will be removable from outside.

My main reason for this post is that the kick-start oil seal does not normally get enough of a workout to ever leak, if you have been using the kick start a lot I would suspect that the kick start shaft has worn the alloy in the cover plate which in turn has allowed enough lateral movement to do the seal a mischief - if so, merely replacing the seal will only provide temporary relief, the cure will be to have the shaft bore bred out and a bronze bushing inserted, a simple task well within the capabilities of any machine shop worthy of the name, the problem is of course that in order to remove the cover plate, the gearbox has to come out.

1978 R100RS| 1984 R65 | 1984 XT350 | 1992 KLE500 | 2002 R1150GSA

IP Logged

Burt

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 01/10/18 at 03:56:00
Post Tools
As the four speed then five speed gearboxes were fairly standard over the airhead range for quite a few years (both with & without kick start levers), I would suggest perusing other BMW Airhead forums for a definitive answer. I hope this helps.

Black 1984 R65 - the Wombat

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint