Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Euro Headlight Switch (Read 313 times)
BPT

I Love YaBB 2!

Euro Headlight Switch
02/07/18 at 09:46:07
Post Tools
I have one of these with the plugs on the end of the harness.  Was I naïve in thinking it was plug and play?  Scouring the net, I'm seeing people talking about changing some wiring but these aren't R65's they're talking about.

On ours, does something need to be changed with the wiring?

And how about the relay? 

I remember asking here before about the different options for an on/off headlight.  I guess I thought that if you got the proper switch, the switch took care of the wiring differences but now I'm not sure.

Thanks

1983 R65 w/ Velorex 562 Sidecar

IP Logged

Matt Chapter

<insert witty remark here>

Re: Euro Headlight Switch
Reply #1 - 02/07/18 at 10:56:14
Post Tools
On my monoshock, I've replaced the left hand switch assembly (twice!) with the euro version.  It's plug and play.  The only difference is an additional switch position to turn off the headlight, which is handled internal to the switch, not in the harness.

I guess the dual shock switches could be different?

'86 R65 with '84 motor ~64000 miles.  SS lines, Spiegler rotor, Progressive monoshock, Keihan silencers, a piece of Pichler fairing.
'76 CB400F ~26000 miles.  Weepy SS lines, big dent in the tank.

IP Logged

BPT

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 02/07/18 at 12:38:31
Post Tools
I'll get on the fiche and see if I can tell if they're different, I have no idea. But it's good to hear yours was a straight replacement.

Maybe another twin shock owner here has done it and will be able to tell if it's the same and easy like yours was.

Thanks for the reply, that gives me hope.

IP Logged

BPT

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 02/07/18 at 13:15:55
Post Tools
Max's fiche shows a variety of part numbers fitting the later models but only one for mine.  The US version on mine is the same as what fits the later models.

So I'm wondering if that means there might be some difference, maybe not a straight fit on the earlier ones?

IP Logged

Mrclubike
God Member

Reply #4 - 02/07/18 at 17:38:01
Post Tools
It is the way the key switch is wired on the R65

You can get a Euro key switch to retain the parking function or use the USA key and switch the green and grey wires but you loose your parking light function

Key_Switch.PNG ( 298 KB | 1 Download )
Key_Switch.PNG

Buzzing along on my tubeless 82 R65
Industrial mobile equipment Mechanic  for over 35years  

IP Logged

Mrclubike
God Member

Reply #5 - 02/07/18 at 17:57:56
Post Tools
here is a close up of the Euro spec Key switch
It has extra positions for the ignition to be switched separately from the head lights

Also It has no relay to turn the headlights off while cranking
But that makes no difference with the key switch used

Euro_Key_switch_snip.PNG ( 91 KB | 0 Downloads )
Euro_Key_switch_snip.PNG

IP Logged

BPT

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 02/07/18 at 18:20:57
Post Tools
Ok, I'll study these and see what I can absorb.  Right off the bat, here are a couple of questions:

Sounds like the easiest would be keep the current ignition switch, switch the two wires.  How much will I miss not having the parking light function?

Can I keep my current relay no matter what?  When starting with the Euro switch, will it start with the lights on (harder on the battery, I'll assume)?  Or is there something that makes it only work if the lights are off?

IP Logged

Mrclubike
God Member

Reply #7 - 02/07/18 at 18:27:56
Post Tools
i cant find a 85 on mono print
If some one has a link post i up and i will look at it

IP Logged

Mrclubike
God Member

Reply #8 - 02/07/18 at 18:31:55
Post Tools
BPT wrote on 02/07/18 at 18:20:57:
Ok, I'll study these and see what I can absorb.  Right off the bat, here are a couple of questions:

Sounds like the easiest would be keep the current ignition switch, switch the two wires.  How much will I miss not having the parking light function?

Can I keep my current relay no matter what?  When starting with the Euro switch, will it start with the lights on (harder on the battery, I'll assume)?  Or is there something that makes it only work if the lights are off?

Just the park lights If you have to park at night just turn the ignition switch off and leave the headlights (but not very long)

Keep the relay and it will shut the headlights off when cranking no mater how the key switch is wired Euro or US spec

IP Logged

Matt Chapter

<insert witty remark here>

Reply #9 - 02/08/18 at 09:55:01
Post Tools
I don't think rewiring the key switch is necessary.  The euro headlight switch has an off position for the headlight.  The "headlight off when starter button pushed" feature works fine on mine, because changing the headlight switch doesn't affect the other switches.

I would trace the current headlight switch wiring and see if the connectors match.  If they do, plug it in and see how it works!

'86 R65 with '84 motor ~64000 miles.  SS lines, Spiegler rotor, Progressive monoshock, Keihan silencers, a piece of Pichler fairing.
'76 CB400F ~26000 miles.  Weepy SS lines, big dent in the tank.

IP Logged

BPT

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - 02/08/18 at 12:27:40
Post Tools
I am electrically stupid, Matt, so thought it'd be better to ask first.  And because of that electrical ignorance, I don't trust myself to be able to figure some of that stuff out. Especially with the Germans!

I will try to trace the wires.  But with the different switches, relays and stuff interconnected, I thought it best to ask first.  Naturally I want it to work correctly but I'm more concerned with frying something if I try to do it on my own and get it wrong.

As far as the comparison between our models, I still wonder why Max wouldn't show it for mine if it was a straight up fit.  That's when I really thought there must be some reason and I should be sure I knew what was going on.  I don't mind digging around messing with stuff. But with these things I worry about letting the smoke out or, since it deals with the ignition switch, getting stuck not being able to start.

At least now I'm pretty confident I can make it work with MrClu's instructions.  I'll play around with it to figure out the variables unless someone else pipes up who has done it on the same model.

It's going to be a little whIle before I mess with it but I'll post on the results.

Thanks

IP Logged

tunnelrider

Reply #11 - 02/11/18 at 02:07:02
Post Tools
How much will I miss not having the parking light function?

I had to move my headlight wire to the park light terminal on my twin shock Euro spec key switch.  Losing the park light also made me lose the tail light and instrument lights.  Not sure if this would be the case on US spec twin shocks.
To get the tail light back I tied the park light spade terminal on to the side of the headlight spade with wire and covered it with insulation tape.  Not ideal but it lasted a 3300km jaunt last week.

1985 Black R65  -  2001 DRZ400 dirt only

IP Logged

Mrclubike
God Member

Reply #12 - 02/11/18 at 10:57:12
Post Tools
  How much will I miss not having the parking light function?

You also loose the tail light when in the first position ignition only
I do have my ignition feed and park lights  wired together  on the terminal normally used for the park lights

I assume one would only use this feature if they   needed  to to conserve power
For example charging failure  or needing to get the battery charged back up quickly

Changing all lights to LED is a great improvement for your charging system
It makes high output alternator conversions obsolete

IP Logged

skippyc

Shouldn't have sold them
old bikes.

Reply #13 - 02/11/18 at 16:55:52
Post Tools
I replaced my headlight with a 20w led bulb and i was surprised how much light it throws out.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Motorcycle-LED-Headlight-High-Low-20W-2500LM-HS1...

IP Logged

Tony Smith
God Member

Graduate, Wallace and
Gromit School of Engineering

Reply #14 - 02/11/18 at 17:27:07
Post Tools
skippyc wrote on 02/11/18 at 16:55:52:
I replaced my headlight with a 20w led bulb and i was surprised how much light it throws out.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Motorcycle-LED-Headlight-High-Low-20W-2500LM-HS1...

How did you fit that?

Wouldn't this one better fit the standard headlamp? Or have you changed your headlamp assembly?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Plug-and-play-led-motorcycle-headlight-H4-HS1-hi...

1978 R100RS| 1984 R65 | 1984 XT350 | 1992 KLE500 | 2002 R1150GSA

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint