Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Driveshaft lubrication (Read 89 times)
Runninn1
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Driveshaft lubrication
02/12/18 at 07:52:21
Post Tools
The splined driveshaft fits over the geared rearend drive & is immersed in 150cc of gear lube. The question is why? (Don't shoot the messenger). Wouldn't keeping the shaft lubed (agreeable difficult due to location) be sufficient. Is heat the issue and the gearlube therefore required? If it were easier to access and had a zerk fitting, would this be sufficient?  Thanks

IP Logged

Barry
God Member

Re: Driveshaft lubrication
Reply #1 - 02/12/18 at 12:11:49
Post Tools
There's also the joint at the other end of the shaft to consider and that needs some splash lube. 

Barry Cheshire, England 79 R45

IP Logged

Runninn1
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 02/12/18 at 13:32:12
Post Tools
Put a zerk fitting on that one too. Just being difficult.... Smiley

IP Logged

Tony Smith
God Member

Graduate, Wallace and
Gromit School of Engineering

Reply #3 - 02/12/18 at 15:25:58
Post Tools
Runninn1 wrote on 02/12/18 at 07:52:21:
The splined driveshaft fits over the geared rearend drive & is immersed in 150cc of gear lube. The question is why?

I've wondered about this myself. Some years ago I had the universal joint on my R100 replaced with a Honda item (which is both fitted with a grease nipple and well sealed) due to the failure of the original and the fact that BMW do not recognize this as a repairable item and want you to buy a new shaft. Anyway, I was smart enough to slather grease into the spline coupling, but I didn't actually put any oil in the housing because I simply didn't realize that oil was supposed to go there (young didn't read manuals closely).

Exactly nothing bad happened.....

Some years later I went to a BMW club tech day and discovered there was supposed to be oil in there, so I put some in.

My wife's R65/80 has had a failed seal in the nose of the final drive for donkey's years - it is pointless putting oil in the shaft because it just migrates into the final drive and leaks out (assuming the final drive was filled to the original factory recommendation and not the later one.

The OEM universal joint from 1979 has yet to fail so I have my doubts that it needs splash lubrication, I harbour even greater doubts that it is even capable of being splash lubricated.

Yamaha, who largely copied the BMW shaft drive for the XS 750/850/1100 models ran the driveshaft dry, but used a very sticky Molly grease on the coupling.

Para-lever shaft housings with two universal joints are run dry.

I *think* that with lots of grease in the splined coupling  that there is no reason the shaft cannot run "dry". I also think that the work involved in tipping 100ml (my "bet each way") of oil into the housing is neither here nor there.

1978 R100RS| 1984 R65 | 1984 XT350 | 1992 KLE500 | 2002 R1150GSA

IP Logged

Mrclubike
God Member

Reply #4 - 02/12/18 at 20:09:50
Post Tools
Runninn1 wrote on 02/12/18 at 07:52:21:
The splined driveshaft fits over the geared rearend drive & is immersed in 150cc of gear lube. The question is why? (Don't shoot the messenger). Wouldn't keeping the shaft lubed (agreeable difficult due to location) be sufficient. Is heat the issue and the gearlube therefore required? If it were easier to access and had a zerk fitting, would this be sufficient?  Thanks

That is a very good question
I may have to look into this because for some stupid reason the oil in my drive shaft some how pumps into the transmission thru the vent slot
I figured after I resealed the trans it would stop doing this but it didn't

Buzzing along on my tubeless 82 R65
Industrial mobile equipment Mechanic  for over 35years  

IP Logged

Runninn1
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 02/13/18 at 14:56:45
Post Tools
I check mine annually and it's often almost empty  Huh.
Yet the splined shaft and gear appear factory fresh after 70k miles. I do keep it well greased.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint