Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Shock information (Read 747 times)
Soeren
YaBB Newbies

Shock information
03/07/18 at 16:04:24
Post Tools
I'v been looking at different shock options for my 1983 (produced late 1982) R65 (RT).

I wonna go for something nice (aka overkill  Wink) as it is my daily driver, and the one bike I dont see myself parting with ever.

I made this list with different options:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Ktn9dofrRv2uiIM8EBxVIziUeaGB2cO1vi3NDEWr...
Im pretty much sold on a pair of Nitron R1 Twin shocks. But I need som specs to get a pair made.

Im pretty sure "Eye to Eye" is 13"/330mm, even though I have seen a lot of different numbers.

But what about compressed shock length? I found one place that said compressed lenght for a 330mm shock would be 250mm, can someone confirm that?

'83 BMW R65

IP Logged

Barry
God Member

Re: Shock information
Reply #1 - 03/08/18 at 08:56:07
Post Tools
I measured the original shocks when they were on the bike and got something in the range of  325 - 300mm. I never did measure them when they were off which would have been more accurate. Type 248 shocks are definitely shorter than the type 247 airheads which are 340mm.

The only figure I've seen quoted for travel is in the original sales brochure which states 110mm but doesn't state clearly if it's the shocks or the swinging arm. Given that figure compared to much lower travel figures for after market shocks I think you'll find the 110mm is the swing arm travel measure at the axle.  You should be able to work out what that means for the original shocks.

Barry Cheshire, England 79 R45

IP Logged

twocyl
YaBB Newbies

I Love Airheads!

Reply #2 - 03/09/18 at 07:31:23
Post Tools
the original shocks on my 84 R65 were 13" extended. Likely, most shocks except those China knock-offs will be an improvement over stock. BMW replaced the shocks on my then under warranty 1983 R65LS with Koni shocks to address the flexing in corners that it had. Never had a problem after that. Just bought a set of Hagons for mine. I just don't ride at a pace anymore that justifies spending big money on shocks.

LMA

IP Logged

Rob Valdez 79 R65

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 03/09/18 at 16:26:27
Post Tools
twocyl wrote on 03/09/18 at 07:31:23:
the original shocks on my 84 R65 were 13" extended. Likely, most shocks except those China knock-offs will be an improvement over stock. BMW replaced the shocks on my then under warranty 1983 R65LS with Koni shocks to address the flexing in corners that it had. Never had a problem after that. Just bought a set of Hagons for mine. I just don't ride at a pace anymore that justifies spending big money on shocks.

Impressive warranty claim/resolution!

IP Logged

twocyl
YaBB Newbies

I Love Airheads!

Reply #4 - 03/10/18 at 06:02:39
Post Tools
As I recall, that was how they were addressing all similar complaints at the time. There was no hesitation on the dealer's part, ie. it wasn't their first rodeo.   Wink

LMA

IP Logged

Tony Smith
God Member

Graduate, Wallace and
Gromit School of Engineering

Reply #5 - 03/10/18 at 17:06:34
Post Tools
I got on so well with my local dealer that they saw my bike twice after it arrived from Germany.

The first time was when they unboxed it, removed the German rego plates (that they were specifically instructed not to do) and then gave it a "complete service" which they were also instructed not to do as it was serviced prior to being re-boxed in Berlin (Euro delivery). The quality of service was so good that I resent the noisey tappets and then re-timed it correctly, and as they could not, or would not tell me what oil they put in - I drained that and replaced with a known brand.

The second time they saw it was a warranty job to replace a leaking rear main seal. On that occasion they put the flywheel on out of time and I had to have a yelling match with the dealer-principal to have that fixed. When they fixed the flywheel positioning they damaged one of the mirrors and then denied doing so - fortunately a blistering letter to BMW Australia resulted in a new mirror turning up in the post.

After that, the dealer never saw the bike again. For a time I bought my parts direct from the State Distributor, but then I discovered Motobins and I never looked back.

My wife's experience with the G650GS  and the current dealer in Cairns has been so inspiring that we have ignored a recall to have the ECU re-flashed to "improve idle stability and reduce cutting out at low revolutions when cold". As her bike does not exhibit either symptom and given the local horror stories that abound about the dealer (and my own discoveries when I fitted the lowering links after riding it home brand new) mean that they are never going to see it again. There is a highly skilled independent BMW service agent 1800km south of here and we will drop in to see him on our way South later this year and he can update the ECU in the 650.

1978 R100RS| 1984 R65 | 1984 XT350 | 1992 KLE500 | 2002 R1150GSA

IP Logged

skippyc

Shouldn't have sold them
old bikes.

Reply #6 - 03/11/18 at 17:37:23
Post Tools
Why is it that independent garages are far more reliable than the Expert dealers. I have no experience with bike dealers but the car dealers are all off my list here in Horsham because of their stuffups. They are very good at denying their mistakes.

IP Logged

Barry
God Member

Reply #7 - 03/12/18 at 06:30:09
Post Tools
skippyc wrote on 03/11/18 at 17:37:23:
Why is it that independent garages are far more reliable than the Expert dealers.

The main dealers charge twice as much which leads them to develop arrogance and contempt for the customer.  The really bizarre thing is that most people still value a main dealer service history.

Barry Cheshire, England 79 R45

IP Logged

Tony Smith
God Member

Graduate, Wallace and
Gromit School of Engineering

Reply #8 - 03/12/18 at 06:42:38
Post Tools
Tony Smith wrote on 03/10/18 at 17:06:34:
I got on so well with my local dealer that they saw my bike twice after it arrived from Germany.

Sorry, I should have pointed out that I am not talking about my R65 that was purchased 2nd hand in 1995. Rather I was talking about my 1978 R100RS bought new on European delivery plan.

1978 R100RS| 1984 R65 | 1984 XT350 | 1992 KLE500 | 2002 R1150GSA

IP Logged

wilcom
God Member

Reply #9 - 03/12/18 at 09:41:36
Post Tools
skippyc wrote on 03/11/18 at 17:37:23:
Why is it that independent garages are far more reliable than the Expert dealers.

The independent garage has his personal reputation on the line. His livelihood is dependent on his standing in the community.

The dealer has the Brand to rep for them. When you add INC. to a company name it no longer has a soul and the bottom line is their God.

Joe Wilkerson
Telephone man with a splash of Data
Menifee, CA

Present:
1984 BMW R65LS "Herr Head"
past:
1979  R65   
1980  R65          
1982 R80RT 
1974 R90/6     
1972  R75        
1964 R50

IP Logged

twocyl
YaBB Newbies

I Love Airheads!

Reply #10 - 03/13/18 at 05:05:49
Post Tools
I believe that if you have a dealer that still employs a tech from the 'airhead' era, you will be more likely to get it right. In that I'm an old fart, I'll bet I'm the one in a hundred auto techs that still knows how to rebuild a carburetor. Although I don't depend on my local dealer(Street Cycles) for tech help, they do have Fred, who has been there since before I bought my first Beemer in 1984.

LMA

IP Logged

georgesgiralt
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #11 - 03/13/18 at 10:08:59
Post Tools
It is a problem they got from their tuition.
Nowadays, a mechanic is trained to read the computer status of the vehicle, and replace the part/computer said to be at fault.
If this does not solve the problem, they escalate to the builder's tech service for a thorough inspection...
A cable linking two "device" in a car went wrong. it took them ages and a tremendous amount of two way travel of parts from the central depot to solve the problem. They changed everything in the car except the serial number...
Mechanic of the same era of our bikes were trained to find the flaw and fix it in the cheapest way possible. They were trained to open an engine and reassemble it without having parts left on the bench... This is invaluable for us but is a dying art.

IP Logged

twocyl
YaBB Newbies

I Love Airheads!

Reply #12 - 03/14/18 at 03:57:24
Post Tools
Only the old guys got factory training on airheads. Having said that, I'm not sure that is a very good excuse. I have no training (on motorcycles) and find airheads bone simple to figure out. Probably, if the industry paid techs as much as the auto industry does, there would be better talent available.

LMA

IP Logged

BPT
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #13 - 03/14/18 at 14:40:15
Post Tools
I bought my bike from a shop that used to be the local BMW dealer.  The owner told me that besides getting tired of dealing with the general corporate/franchise BS, they decided to get out of it because they made it more and more difficult to work on older bikes.  BMW wanted them to focus on selling and servicing the newer models.   He said he wasn't going to turn away customers and bikes he'd been dealing with for decades so he decided to go out on his own.

I know some people are lucky and can at least get some parts at their local dealers.  But the one that took over in our area rarely has things in stock for mine and if they order them (as Justin can attest), they charge way over the average list price.  I haven't even asked if they have any mechanics of an age that know anything about airheads there.

1983 R65 w/ Velorex 562 Sidecar

IP Logged

skippyc

Shouldn't have sold them
old bikes.

Reply #14 - 03/14/18 at 17:36:17
Post Tools
I rang the BMW dealer in melbourne about the rear drive and the recommended that i take it to the independants. even giving out names.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint