Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic SKID PLATES? (Read 126 times)
Luke D.

Hakuna Matata

SKID PLATES?
06/01/18 at 09:08:47
Post Tools
Good day everyone,  I tried searching and didn't find anything (or I did it wrong Smiley ) I riding yesterday when my nice paved road turned to not so nice pavement (dirt).  As I was riding and enjoying the views I kept hearing some tink tink tinks.  I know the smaller rocks wouldn't be an issue but it got me thinking about skid plates.  I have a lot of dirt roads where I live that I would love to check out.  Nothing hard or gnarly just fire roads.  So I tried my google-fu for some r65 skid plates....zip zero zilch nada.  Sad  I was wondering if any of you fine people have ever put one on or bought or even made a skid plate for your bikes?  Any help is appreciated, thanks all and have a great day.

Dont worry and be happy!

1982 R65LS

IP Logged

georgesgiralt
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: SKID PLATES?
Reply #1 - 06/01/18 at 09:31:01
Post Tools
Hello
A friend of mine used an aluminum snow spade to make one...
Add to this that the G/S or GS may had one. As the engine case is the same in that area, maybe on this model there is something available ?

IP Logged

marcmax
God Member

Any day on two wheels
is a good day

Reply #2 - 06/01/18 at 11:50:32
Post Tools
I looked into it at one time for the same reasons. There are a number of skid plates from GS or G/S models that will work but they all require replacing the oil sump as the attachment points for the skid plate are molded into them. Add to that the fact that there are several oil sumps available in differing capacities and locations  of drain plug. A matched set is required to allow an oil change. Finally GS and G/S parts command a premium on the used market. To me it wasn't worth the expense.

Keep your bike in good repair:  motorcycle boots are not comfortable for walking.  

1982 R65ls        1984 R65ls        1991 K75

IP Logged

Luke D.

Hakuna Matata

Reply #3 - 06/01/18 at 12:31:17
Post Tools
Hey georgesgarlt and marcmax, thanks for the heads up.  I did look out parts for the g/s but was unsure if it would fit.  Another thing I noticed is the attachment points being on the sump/motor, is that smart?  not that I am going off roading and am expecting hits like that but even on a gs wouldn't it be better to attach it to the frame?  I did notice they are quite expensive too and am thinking of making my own ( a bit cheaper).  Playing of the last question about mounting, would it be better to have it mount on the sump?  I was just thinking of using some type of hose clamp to the frame and doing that as it does not have to be really heavy duty just enough for the flinging rocks.  Thanks again for your help, have a great day.

Dont worry and be happy!

1982 R65LS

IP Logged

georgesgiralt
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 06/01/18 at 12:41:27
Post Tools
Snow spade used as washer for the engine mounts. Just my 2˘

IP Logged

marcmax
God Member

Any day on two wheels
is a good day

Reply #5 - 06/01/18 at 22:04:30
Post Tools
I think it would be an interesting project to design a self-made skid plate. There are several things to take into consideration. 1 is the mounting points - as any major strike will be transmitted up into the frame, motor mounts, etc. 2 is the necessity to drain the oil for an oil change without a major disassembly. 3 it the clearances needed for exhaust crossover pipes, center stands, etc.

Interesting concept that I am willing to jump into again even though my days of venturing down fire trails are far behind me now.

Keep your bike in good repair:  motorcycle boots are not comfortable for walking.  

1982 R65ls        1984 R65ls        1991 K75

IP Logged

wilcom
God Member

Reply #6 - 06/01/18 at 22:17:00
Post Tools
Here's a link to a home made skid plate on a bmw , might give you a few ideas

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/r80-g-s-skidplate.664801/

Joe Wilkerson
Telephone man with a splash of Data
Menifee, CA

Present:
1984 BMW R65LS "Herr Head"
past:
1979  R65   
1980  R65          
1982 R80RT 
1974 R90/6     
1972  R75        
1964 R50

IP Logged

Mrclubike
God Member

Reply #7 - 06/01/18 at 22:30:45
Post Tools
I really don't think a rock getting thrown up at trail speeds are going to be a threat to your sump

I would be more concerned  what a rock  at high way speeds could do

I think skid plates are meant for dragging the sump over large rocks or logs 

The other option is a mud flap
I got this one from   Moto works

_MAS0045_001.JPG ( 122 KB | 4 Downloads )
_MAS0045_001.JPG
mud_flap_frt.PNG ( 66 KB | 6 Downloads )
mud_flap_frt.PNG

Buzzing along on my tubeless 82 R65
Industrial mobile equipment Mechanic  for over 35years  

IP Logged

Barry
God Member

Reply #8 - 06/02/18 at 05:46:32
Post Tools
Rocks aren't a problem to me but I have a mudflap like that and it goes part way to keeping the muck of the engine in wet weather. It has to be a relatively long like that Motorworks one to do any good though.

Barry Cheshire, England 79 R45

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint