Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Help...picture of front brake hose routing R65 (Read 341 times)
shadowray
YaBB Newbies

Help...picture of front brake hose routing R65
06/17/18 at 12:28:27
Post Tools
I am working to remove some R80 parts that a previous owner installed on my r65.

Can anyone post or message me a pic of how the front brake hose is routed from the rear looking forward. Does it route behind the right fork tube or in front etc...thanks for any help...need pic!

IP Logged

Tony Smith
God Member

Graduate, Wallace and
Gromit School of Engineering

Re: Help...picture of front brake hose routing R65
Reply #1 - 06/17/18 at 16:22:34
Post Tools
shadowray wrote on 06/17/18 at 12:28:27:
I am working to remove some R80 parts that a previous owner installed on my r65.

Can anyone post or message me a pic of how the front brake hose is routed from the rear looking forward. Does it route behind the right fork tube or in front etc...thanks for any help...need pic!

Not as simple a question as you might think. I know of at least three different ways SMW dealt with the disposition of the front braking system

First comment - if yours is s single front disc model, then your disc should be on the left.

1979 models have a short piece of metal pipe from the master cylinder to a brass "distributor" which has 1 inlet and 3 outlets (2 for front discs and 1 for electrical switch for brake lights) with unused outlets plugged with bolts.

Somewhere between 1979 and 1981 a section of hose was added between the master cylinder and the pipe feeding the "distributor".

After 1981 if you have a single disc model the "distributor" is deleted and the hose goes all the way to the pipe that connects to the caliper, if a twin disc model then hose to the distributor and then as above.

In all cases, the hose passes behind the fork tubes and passes through a hose guide fitted to the lower triple clamp fork bolt.

Tell me which one you have and I'll try and provide a relevant photo. It has been my observation that over time people tend to delete the short metal pipes from the caliper(s) to the guide behind the fork leg and any pipe fitted to the "distributor".

1978 R100RS| 1984 R65 | 1984 XT350 | 1992 KLE500 | 2002 R1150GSA

IP Logged

shadowray
YaBB Newbies

Reply #2 - 06/17/18 at 16:36:07
Post Tools
Let me post a pic of what I have. I am probably missing brackets since I am just now acquiring the original parts. I was lucky to have a member of the forum provide me the headlight bracket. I cannot tell in my manual how the brake hose routes. I put it behind the right tube so it wouldn’t be in the way of the headlight bracket once it is installed. Not sure if this is correct?

I have a 1980 R65 single left disc

IP Logged

Tony Smith
God Member

Graduate, Wallace and

Reply #3 - 06/18/18 at 05:10:26
Post Tools
Sorry about the focus, I was in a hurry. Ignore the over long clutch cable.

R65_-_brake_hose_1.jpg ( 220 KB | 12 Downloads )
R65_-_brake_hose_1.jpg
R65_-_brake_hose_2.jpg ( 85 KB | 11 Downloads )
R65_-_brake_hose_2.jpg
R65_-_brake_hose_3.jpg ( 76 KB | 11 Downloads )
R65_-_brake_hose_3.jpg

IP Logged

shadowray
YaBB Newbies

Reply #4 - 06/18/18 at 05:40:29
Post Tools
Thank you for the pics but yours is different since it is dual disc. I mainly need a pic of the top where it come from the brake lever.

If anyone has a single disc setup and can tell me or show me how the hose is routed. Coming from the resevior how does it get routed. In front of the fork tube, behind the fork tube, behind the headlight bracket...????

Anyone have a 1980 r65 and can help? Here is how mine is currently routed if anyone can compare to theirs and see if your is the same? This is from the right side standing behind the bike looking forward.?

IP Logged

georgesgiralt
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 06/18/18 at 12:34:25
Post Tools
Hello
On my R65, which is 4000 km away from me, the hose from the master cylinder is held at the metal fitting where the clock's pad press.
And the manifold il held at the panel holding the clocks, headlight and turn signals.
Hope this helps.

IP Logged

Tony Smith
God Member

Graduate, Wallace and

Reply #6 - 06/18/18 at 15:55:29
Post Tools
shadowray wrote on 06/18/18 at 05:40:29:
Thank you for the pics but yours is different since it is dual disc. I mainly need a pic of the top where it come from the brake lever.

I see the confusion. Yours has a banjo fitting attaching the hose to the master cylinder. Absolutely nothign wrong with that,  but no twin shock R65 left the factory with banjo fittings.

That banjo fitting limits your hose routing options, without it, you take a straight shot under the crash pad and then dive behind the upper and lower triple clamps, through the guide fitting behind the lower tripe clamp and then on to the guide fitting at the rear mudguard mount where it transitions to a pipe and then, finally to the caliper.

Now, as I said much earlier the only things that change are whether or not their is pipe or hose to the distributor (if fitted) and that holds true for single and twin disc models that have the distributor.

For later single disc machines the hose goes exactly the same route and there is no pipe or distributor under the crash pad.

I note that you have quite high bars which may have been the genesis for some previous owner to fit a new hose incorporating the banjo fitting.

There is simply not the room or flexibility to allow you to use the standard routing using that hose. In theory you could clamp the banjo in a vice and bend the tail through 90 degrees so that the hose ran more or less parallel, but it would probably break, a 90 degree fitting should have been used at fabrication.

Long and short of it - you are on your own as you cannot use the stock routing.

IP Logged

Barry
God Member

Reply #7 - 06/18/18 at 16:12:27
Post Tools
Hows this

20180618_2157.jpg ( 272 KB | 11 Downloads )
20180618_2157.jpg

Barry Cheshire, England 79 R45

IP Logged

shadowray
YaBB Newbies

Reply #8 - 06/18/18 at 18:14:00
Post Tools
Barry thanks for the pic. Would you be able to take one from the other side to show where the brake hose is routed from the reservoir to behind the headlight?

Looks like I am missing the bracket on the side in your pic so thank you for that!

IP Logged

shadowray
YaBB Newbies

Reply #9 - 06/18/18 at 18:17:56
Post Tools
Tony Smith wrote on 06/18/18 at 15:55:29:
shadowray wrote on 06/18/18 at 05:40:29:

I see the confusion. Yours has a banjo fitting attaching the hose to the master cylinder. Absolutely nothign wrong with that,  but no twin shock R65 left the factory with banjo fittings.

That banjo fitting limits your hose routing options, without it, you take a straight shot under the crash pad and then dive behind the upper and lower triple clamps, through the guide fitting behind the lower tripe clamp and then on to the guide fitting at the rear mudguard mount where it transitions to a pipe and then, finally to the caliper.

Now, as I said much earlier the only things that change are whether or not their is pipe or hose to the distributor (if fitted) and that holds true for single and twin disc models that have the distributor.

For later single disc machines the hose goes exactly the same route and there is no pipe or distributor under the crash pad.

I note that you have quite high bars which may have been the genesis for some previous owner to fit a new hose incorporating the banjo fitting.

There is simply not the room or flexibility to allow you to use the standard routing using that hose. In theory you could clamp the banjo in a vice and bend the tail through 90 degrees so that the hose ran more or less parallel, but it would probably break, a 90 degree fitting should have been used at fabrication.

Long and short of it - you are on your own as you cannot use the stock routing.

Thank you for the help Tony and your quality feedback all of which I greatly appreciated. I will take all input and make it work.

IP Logged

Barry
God Member

Reply #10 - 06/19/18 at 13:34:29
Post Tools
shadowray wrote on 06/18/18 at 18:14:00:
Barry thanks for the pic. Would you be able to take one from the other side to show where the brake hose is routed from the reservoir to behind the headlight?

Looks like I am missing the bracket on the side in your pic so thank you for that!

You can't really see the route of the pipe from the reservoir from the right side but here it is for what it's worth. The picture from the left side shows how the pipe loops down to enter the manifold.  What you can't see is a short flexible hose from the master cylinder to that steel pipe. it's #8 on the parts fiche diagram.

20180619_162332.jpg ( 229 KB | 10 Downloads )
20180619_162332.jpg

IP Logged

Barry
God Member

Reply #11 - 06/19/18 at 13:42:55
Post Tools
Parts fiche diagram.

B0000793.png ( 39 KB | 10 Downloads )
B0000793.png

IP Logged

shadowray
YaBB Newbies

Reply #12 - 06/19/18 at 13:53:51
Post Tools
Cheers Barry! All makes perfect sense now!

Thank you very much

IP Logged

georgesgiralt
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #13 - 06/19/18 at 14:30:39
Post Tools
Bear in mind that the square reservoir master cylinders have the stop switch on the handlebar. So the hole in the manifold is closed with a bolt.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint