Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Starter Refurb (Read 57 times)
BPT
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Starter Refurb
08/08/18 at 22:13:15
Post Tools
Euromotoelectric sells a small kit consisting of brushes, springs and a couple of bushings.  Is there anything else parts-wise that should be added to that to refurb one of these?

Thanks

1983 R65 w/ Velorex 562 Sidecar

IP Logged

Bob_Roller
Global Moderator

GMT -7 Hours

Re: Starter Refurb
Reply #1 - 08/08/18 at 22:21:25
Post Tools
Non-conductive, high melt point grease .

'81 R65
'82 R65 LS  
'84 R65 LS
'87 Moto Guzzi V65 Lario
'02 R1150R
Riding all year long since 1993 .
I'll give up my R65, when they pry my cold dead hands from the handlebars !!!!!

IP Logged

BPT
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 08/08/18 at 22:44:02
Post Tools
Would you have an example or a particular brand such a grease Bob Roller?

IP Logged

Tony Smith
God Member

Graduate, Wallace and
Gromit School of Engineering

Reply #3 - 08/08/18 at 23:58:56
Post Tools
Whilst dielectric grease is not a bad idea, perfectly ordinary high temp wheel grease will suffice if used sparingly.

I'd add the following to the list of "stuff" needed. A bottle of loctite RED, a can of dull aluminium paint and a can of semi flat black metal paint.

Why? You are going to tart up the starter, you may as well make it look pretty.

You will also need, in addition to standard hand tools,  a impact driver with a spade bit that fits the big screws that hold the field coils in place, and a 5lb hammer for whaling on the impact driver with.

Many people omit removing and cleaning the field coils. This is a bad idea as they become the refuge of every piece of magnetic crud that is produced in the motor, or which finds its way inside. It is also a hell of a lt easier to solder in new brushes (if they are needed) with the coils out of the motor housing.

Do inspect the electrical pick-ups on the rotor and if they are in any way worn unevenly, or worn down to the epoxy that holds them in place - pack the lot up and take to an auto electrician for rehab.

Inspect and feel the bushes and if they are sloppy - replace them. They are standard BOSCH starter bushes and your auto electrician will have them, likewise the brushes if needed.

Wash everything clean and give the housing and the bendix exteriors a coat of the correct shade of paint. No body else will ever see it. But you will know.

1978 R100RS| 1984 R65 | 1984 XT350 | 1992 KLE500 | 2002 R1150GSA

IP Logged

BPT
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 08/09/18 at 08:37:34
Post Tools
Excellent tips, Thanks Tony.

I agree with you about making it pretty, I figured I'd do that since it would be accessible.  I've come across a spare and after reading a thread here a while back that said there's not much you can do as far as preventative maintenance whIle it's on the bike, I thought I might try this as a project.  Learn something and also end up with a working spare.
The kit I mentioned has brushes so I'd planned on replacing them regardless, again, since it'll be out and accessible. 

Thanks for pointing out those other things to check on.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint