Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Frame serial number ? (Read 133 times)
georgesgiralt
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Frame serial number ?
08/11/18 at 01:29:52
Post Tools
Hi !
Someone told me that there is a frame serial number on the right hand center stand pivot.
I've checked and, yes, there is a number but it seems molded, not stamped. On my bike it reads 2.301.588 followed by a BMW logo.
This number seems too neat to be a frame number.
Could you, owner of 1982 R65 look and tell me if you have such a number and if it is different from mine ?
Many thanks in advance for your help.

IP Logged

Tony Smith
God Member

Graduate, Wallace and
Gromit School of Engineering

Re: Frame serial number ?
Reply #1 - 08/11/18 at 02:00:10
Post Tools
Casting revision number.

The frame number is where it has been since forever.

1978 R100RS| 1984 R65 | 1984 XT350 | 1992 KLE500 | 2002 R1150GSA

IP Logged

BPT
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 08/11/18 at 08:30:13
Post Tools
Are you all talking about something different than the VIN?

1983 R65 w/ Velorex 562 Sidecar

IP Logged

Bob_Roller
Global Moderator

GMT -7 Hours

Reply #3 - 08/11/18 at 10:11:21
Post Tools
There was a foil decal on the right side of the frame, under the right cylinder . Not surprising if it's not there, or unreadable .
It should be stamped into the steering head gusset, usually on the right side .
The steering head stamped number will probably be the last seven characters on the VIN .

'81 R65
'82 R65 LS  
'84 R65 LS
'87 Moto Guzzi V65 Lario
'02 R1150R
Riding all year long since 1993 .
I'll give up my R65, when they pry my cold dead hands from the handlebars !!!!!

IP Logged

BPT
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 08/11/18 at 10:26:14
Post Tools
That's why I was asking Bob Roller.  I wasn't sure if they were possibly talking about a part number.

For the VIN, especially around the years that Georges is talking about, it can be in several spots. Snowbum has a write up about it and it's a screwy thing during a few years there.

Mine is an '83 and I had some issues with inspection because they couldn't understand how it wasn't in one dedicated spot.  Mine had the sticker you mention (completely worn and illegible, of course).  But I think it could also be somewhere on the lower right side of the frame, and maybe even up near the steering head?

Mine has the original motor and I have the numbers engraved near the oil filler (which I'm also not sure is consistent throughout the years).  Unfortunately, it is not the entire VIN, just part of it. This also confused the inspector until I finally convinced them by showing them those numbers matched at least part of what was on my renewal paperwork and my insurance card.

So, if it's the VIN, I don't think it's always straightforward.

1983 R65 w/ Velorex 562 Sidecar

IP Logged

Bob_Roller
Global Moderator

GMT -7 Hours

Reply #5 - 08/11/18 at 10:54:35
Post Tools
I went through the same hassle, when I registered my '81 R65 for the first time in Aridzona .
It took numerous visits to the MVD and a letter from BMW, before I got registration and plates for Aridzona .
All three of my R65's have the foil decal in the same place on the frame on the right side .
The only place that the full VIN is located, is on the foil decal, the other places are the last seven characters of the VIN, and with the decal usually being unreadable, it becomes an issue for most vehicle inspectors .

'81 R65
'82 R65 LS  
'84 R65 LS
'87 Moto Guzzi V65 Lario
'02 R1150R
Riding all year long since 1993 .
I'll give up my R65, when they pry my cold dead hands from the handlebars !!!!!

IP Logged

georgesgiralt
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 08/11/18 at 11:59:43
Post Tools
Well in Europe, VIN numbers were limited in lenght at that time. So mine has only 7 numbers.
We did not have 17 figure long numbers until I think the mid 90's.
So I was surprised when someone told me that the frame had a serial as has the engine or the gearbox. And when I looked at mine I was sure it was not the frame serial because of too much zeros in it  Smiley
Being molded was another clue... It was saying that every frame had a one shot mold for this part... I think that sand molding for this kind of job was not in use at BMW at that time...
Thanks for the information !
BTW, as you may already know, the engine serial is under the left cylinder on a flat surface with the type and date of manufacture.
The gearbox serial is on the left side just under the tubing going out of the air box. In the front face of the gearbox (in the clutch chamber) is the date of manufacture and the revision level of the design.
I've been told that the rear drive also has a serial but I do not know where it is. And never found one on mine. (too dirty ? )

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint