Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Vale Boxerman (Read 42 times)
Tony Smith
God Member

Graduate, Wallace and
Gromit School of Engineering

Vale Boxerman
08/31/18 at 19:12:14
Post Tools
I stumbled upon some photos taken at Phil Hawksely's funeral yesterday, which was the first time I heard that he had died.

I bought my much modified cylinder heads from Boxerman as he was selling down his stock of airhead parts around 5 years ago. The heads had been stored on the floor under a shelving system, he was VERY honest about them and said "I cannot remember where I got them from, or what might be wrong with them, so check them carefully before use".

Then when postage was going to be astronomical, he kindly reduced his price to make the deal affordable. Of course when the heads arrived they were so full of rat droppings and other nameless "stuff" that my workshop put them in the parts washer for a week or so before looking at them.

Inspection revealed that the heads had spent a lot of time on a flow bench and that they had been fitted with bigger than stock valves (which fortunately intervalve was able to match). That they had previously run reliably was beyond doubt as the guides were well worn, and one guide was actually loose which is probably why Phil had kicked them under the shelf.

When I discovered how much work had been done to them I contacted Phil, his response was "so that's where they went". We continued to exchange emails for some time and he offered a lot of very good advice as far as parts sourcing went.

My impression was that he was both a gentleman and a genuinely helpful person - the world is poorer for his passing.

1978 R100RS| 1984 R65 | 1984 XT350 | 1992 KLE500 | 2002 R1150GSA

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint