Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Can someone clear up the Rich/Lean Idle mixture ?s (Read 68 times)
RG68RG
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Can someone clear up the Rich/Lean Idle mixture ?s
09/20/18 at 14:42:59
Post Tools
First.. I'm still running pretty rich. I checked floats and both seem positioned correctly and the shut off works.. The original idle mixture screw is set at 3 turns out from seated. Plugs are both black soot and you can really smell it's running rich.
I have heard and read the the screws on this bike are backed out for LEAN = more air and in is RICH more gas. This may very well be true but now i've read the opposite and another bike mechanic said out is rich (more fuel) Does anyone definitively know the answer? When I turn them in the idle comes up about double (not sure r's as my tach is non functional.   If out farther is more fuel that would really explain my rich problem.

IP Logged

Tony Smith
God Member

Graduate, Wallace and
Gromit School of Engineering

Re: Can someone clear up the Rich/Lean Idle mixture ?s
Reply #1 - 09/20/18 at 15:32:40
Post Tools
In for lean and out for rich. The idle mixture jet is a fuel jet, not an air jet.

Having said that, a rich idle mixture will not give you black plugs after a run. If the bike is new to you it is worth checking the main jet size, needle number and clip position against what was fitted when it left the factory.

1978 R100RS| 1984 R65 | 1984 XT350 | 1992 KLE500 | 2002 R1150GSA

IP Logged

RG68RG
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Can someone clear up the Rich/Lean Idle mixture ?s
Reply #2 - 09/20/18 at 17:40:03
Post Tools
Tony Smith wrote on 09/20/18 at 15:32:40:
In for lean and out for rich. The idle mixture jet is a fuel jet, not an air jet.

Having said that, a rich idle mixture will not give you black plugs after a run. If the bike is new to you it is worth checking the main jet size, needle number and clip position against what was fitted when it left the factory.

That explains a lot..I've been idiling it off an on as I synch etc.. Always  with a shop fan of course. I'll take them of though this weekend and take a look at the jets..Thanks for the tips!  How come I have read so many times it's an air screw? Have you seen this as well? I'm pretty sure whoever tuned this up (a bmw shop i was told) thought they were air screws as well..

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint