Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Good luck disguised as bad. (Read 176 times)
Tony Smith
God Member

Graduate, Wallace and
Gromit School of Engineering

Good luck disguised as bad.
09/22/18 at 19:03:57
Post Tools
I went for a ride yesterday with a group from the local restorers club, when we stopped for a coffee my blasted R65 fell over as I walked away and landed on a very expensive car that it was parked next to.

My heart sank, firstly for the damage to the bike and secondly for the likely damage to my wallet for repairs to the car.

We lifted the poor R65 up and to my amazement there was not the slightest mark, that any of us could see, on the car.

When the R65 fell over the RHS mirror hit the car's front tyre and broke off, continuing the fall the next thing to contact was the instrument surround on the car's alloy wheel - being rubber it left a small black mark as it cushioned the impact.

Damage to the R65:-

broken mirror;
already beaten up instrument surround just a bit more beaten up;
Instrument mount displaced to the left somewhat;
Master cylinder leaking fluid - can't find a crack and suspect that the "tank" was displaced enough to upset the o-ring seal.

The cause by-the-way was parking on loose aggregate, the stand displaced th surface layer and Isaac Newton took it from there.

I am probably the only person who has surveyed the damage to their bike with an ear to ear grin, thank my good luck that there was no damage to the car.

damaged_instruments.jpg ( 450 KB | 7 Downloads )
damaged_instruments.jpg

1978 R100RS| 1984 R65 | 1984 XT350 | 1992 KLE500 | 2002 R1150GSA

IP Logged

tiggum
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Good luck disguised as bad.
Reply #1 - 09/22/18 at 19:27:35
Post Tools
So how did the R65 do otherwise?

IP Logged

skippyc

Shouldn't have sold them
old bikes.

Reply #2 - 09/22/18 at 21:26:15
Post Tools
the good thing i found about mine was it sits on the crash bar when it fell over.

IP Logged

Tony Smith
God Member

Graduate, Wallace and

Reply #3 - 09/22/18 at 22:24:41
Post Tools
tiggum wrote on 09/22/18 at 19:27:35:
So how did the R65 do otherwise?

Yesterday was designed to be a test of the new front end more than anything else. the day started badly as I had to stop every 10km or so and clear one or both carb float needles. The cause of that problem was me, about 3 two weeks ago I did some work on the carbs and then left them dry until last Thursday. I've had this problem before with BMWs and the only thing you can do is persevere until eventually the crud runs through the system and it doesn't happen any more - between departure and our coffee stop at Paronella Park I stopped 11 times. Strangely, after being upended at Paronella Park everything behaved itself and it ran like a Waterbury watch the remaining 200km home over the Atherton Tablelands.

As to how the front end went.

I continue to be ecstatic about the brakes, the combination of the 12mm master cylinder and braided lines is amazing. I have put up with what some people would regard as "dangerous" brakes on the R65 since I rebuilt it, all my own work as I had the hose made far too long and the loop over the rear of the headlight bucket meant that there was a small amount of air in the system I could never get rid of - I got used to having no brakes until the lever was near on the bars at the first application and then near normal brakes for any subsequent application within the next few minutes. It's funny what you get used to, the one and only time my wife rode my R65 she went around the block, came home, swore at me and refused to ride it any further.

Yesterday I was daydreaming and arrived at a T intersection a lot faster than I should have. It was a pleasure to be able to use one finger to keep the front wheel just at the point of chirping, and Man, did it slow down quickly.

I miscalculated the damping fluid in the forks badly, I mean really badly. I purchased a set of 2nd hand cartridge emulators when I was rebuilding the forks. I asked the owner what fluid he had run and he said "Bel Ray 10". I now know he was lying, or he only ever rode it on billiard ball table smooth roads.

He looked about 80kg wringing wet in his  Facebook profile photograph so I went with a 50/50 mix of Castrol Fork 10 & 15. The front was horridly over damped with almost zero compliance and a nasty tendency to skip on encountering any bumps mid corner.

By chance our ride yesterday took us over some truly ordinary bitumen roads and by the time we had covered the worst of them I well and truly had my hate on.

It's downstairs now with the fork fluid draining and I intend to refill with a 60/40 mix of Fork 5 and Fork 10. If that doesn't give me the ride I'm looking for I will pull the springs out and weld a Phillips-headed screwdriver shaft to a piece of reinforcing rod and adjust the damping in the emulators, however I am reasonably confident that the above mix will be well in the zone of what I want.

Aside from the over damping the front end was impressive, the combination of the larger diameter forks and the brace meant that on smooth corners it tracked like it was on rails.

The final part of yesterday's test was the tyres, some time ago I bought a pair of Shinko 712s - 100/90 front and 110/90 rear.

Both tyres fitted well, I had intended to run them tubeless but I could not get the bead to seal on the front K100 sourced rim and gave up on the Tubeless idea and put tubes in both front and rear.

Let me say this. Shinko tyres (well at least 712s) are unmitigated, unadulterated CRAP! For several years I have been running Pirelli City Demons on the bike and even with only a 3.25 front they were fairly confidence inspiring and hung on beautifully and predictably. I would have happily fitted City Demons again but the larger (4.00 * 18 is large???) sizes have been deleted and they are now only made in lightweight bike sizes.

I decided to try the Shinkos because, well, they were cheap and available - finding quality tyres in old sizes in Australia is becoming increasingly difficult, I knew the 100/90 would fit the K100 front and Shinko themselves said that the 110/90 would fit an R65 rear.

They are without the shadow of a doubt the most "wooden" tyres I have ridden on in recent decades, they give virtually no feedback at all and start slipping at very low lean angles (and yes I did wash as much of the mould release wax as I could off them before leaving and I didn't press them until nearly 200km had been covered). I expected the front to be "heavy" as a 4.00 is a pretty wide tyre to have on the front of an airhead, but I just could not get used to the lack of feedback.

I'll give them until I've run up 500~600km and I will play a bit more with pressures (presently running 34/36psi), but unless they impress me a whole lot more than they do now, they are coming off as soon as I can find a pair of something decent.

IP Logged

Tony Smith
God Member

Graduate, Wallace and

Reply #4 - 09/22/18 at 22:26:40
Post Tools
skippyc wrote on 09/22/18 at 21:26:15:
the good thing i found about mine was it sits on the crash bar when it fell over.

Yes, I also have crash bars but they simply displaced the gravel and it ended up resting ont he rocker cover anyway - the cover is one of my old R100 ones and it was already scratched up from a minor "off" decades ago, so no harm done.

IP Logged

tiggum
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 09/23/18 at 16:12:18
Post Tools
So where you are going with the 60/40 mix of 5 and 10 wt fork oils is about a 7 wt fluid in your forks, right?  We will be interested to see how that works out for you.

I am glad to hear from you that the Shinko tires do not perform well, as I was sorely tempted by the low prices; I am sorry that you had to pay for us to learn that lesson.  Now I will rule them out and go back either to the BT-45 Battleax or the Avon AM26 Roadriders.  Both are available for reasonable prices here in the states, and since my LS runs stock rims, I can use the 90/90 front and the 110/90 rear.

IP Logged

tunnelrider

Reply #6 - 12/01/18 at 20:36:55
Post Tools
Tony Smith wrote on 09/22/18 at 19:03:57:
The cause by-the-way was parking on loose aggregate, the stand displaced th surface layer and Isaac Newton took it from there.

Sorry for the annoyance of repairing things you didn't expect Tony.  I had my R65 topple once by parking on grass with the centre stand - had my helmet on the handlebars, of course luck would have it the helmet made a dent in the tank when it fell over.  I've had the dent repaired and tank repainted since but now never use the centre stand when out riding and usually put my helmet on the ground. I store the bike on the centre stand of course.

Have you put the Siebenrock 860cc kit on yet?

1985 Black R65  -  1983 Ducati Pantah 500 - 2001 DRZ400 dirt only

IP Logged

Tony Smith
God Member

Graduate, Wallace and

Reply #7 - 12/02/18 at 14:49:48
Post Tools
I'm going to sound lie I am full of excuses, but we have been having a heat wave here for the past 8 days - most days are around 36~38 degrees and a couple slightly more than 42 degrees. The Cairns all-out temperature record was beaten last week with 43.5 degrees measured at the airport. So, given the choice between airconditioned office or outside working on bikes.... And it looks like next week we may have a cyclone, well at least the rain from one. Looks like its going to be a "lively" summer here.

IP Logged

tunnelrider

Reply #8 - 12/03/18 at 01:07:57
Post Tools
Understand, in that heat I wouldn't bother doing anything remotely physical outside either!  The heat wave you're having is causing some real strange weather where I am on the east coast NZ, 3000km away over the Tasman Sea, for as long as you've been having it - apparently caused by weather systems blowing over from Australia, I've had over a week of almost non stop drizzle, clouds captured by my local hills and the roads are wet, it's stopping me riding almost every day god dammit! Usually will rain for a day or two here if it rains at all.

1985 Black R65  -  1983 Ducati Pantah 500 - 2001 DRZ400 dirt only

IP Logged

Justin B.
YaBB Administrator

I love my Beemers

Reply #9 - 12/06/18 at 19:19:50
Post Tools
I remember learning the hard way on my '72 R60 why not to use the center stand on asphalt in Texas in the summer...

Justin B.

2004 BMW R1150RT
1981 R100RT - Summer bike, NEKKID!!!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint