Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Prying out a Brembo caliper piston seal - tips? (Read 259 times)
tunnelrider

Prying out a Brembo caliper piston seal - tips?
10/07/18 at 02:43:24
Post Tools
Hi everyone,
I'm trying to pry out the Brembo caliper piston seals after removing the caliper pistons.  I've been trying with wooden or plastic thin wedges to avoid scratching the bores but haven't had any luck prying them out.  Toothpicks are just too weak, anything plastic is too thick. I'm tempted to wrap some tape around a small jeweler's flat head screw driver but avoided the temptation so far. The caliper is actually a 1981 Brembo F05 (not off a BMW), exactly the same as an F08 but smaller. 
Has anyone got a good tip for this please?
Sorry if this should be in another area - thanks in advance for any info.

1985 Black R65  -  1983 Ducati Pantah 500 - 2001 DRZ400 dirt only

IP Logged

Tony Smith
God Member

Graduate, Wallace and
Gromit School of Engineering

Re: Prying out a Brembo caliper piston seal - tips?
Reply #1 - 10/07/18 at 04:20:20
Post Tools
tunnelrider wrote on 10/07/18 at 02:43:24:
Hi everyone,
I'm trying to pry out the Brembo caliper piston seals after removing the caliper pistons.  I've been trying with wooden or plastic thin wedges to avoid scratching the bores but haven't had any luck prying them out.  Toothpicks are just too weak, anything plastic is too thick. I'm tempted to wrap some tape around a small jeweler's flat head screw driver but avoided the temptation so far. The caliper is actually a 1981 Brembo F05 (not off a BMW), exactly the same as an F08 but smaller. 
Has anyone got a good tip for this please?
Sorry if this should be in another area - thanks in advance for any info.

You will be very lucky indeed to pry them out in anything other than small pieces.

I started with a small blade screwdriver, I ground the blade width down so that it would just fit in the seal groove and then heated it and bent it 90 degrees.

It worked, but was going to take me a month of Sundays to get all of the old seal out.

My next move was to fill the two caliper halves with Shellite (Coleman fuel, or white gas in other jurisdictions) I then threw in a match and walked away for 20 or so minutes. The charred seal came out easily and quickly, hot soapy water and a "scotchbrite" kitchen scourer removed the carbon from the caliper halves.

After that it was the work of a few moments to fit the new seals, insert the pistons (lubricated with fresh brake fluid) and fit the dist seals using some timber blocks and a vise (those seals are a bastard to fit).

Once together I gave the calipers a quick spray with flat black metal paint and put them on the bike.

1978 R100RS| 1984 R65 | 1984 XT350 | 1992 KLE500 | 2002 R1150GSA

IP Logged

georgesgiralt
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 10/07/18 at 05:33:43
Post Tools
Hello,
i had luck with a guitar mediator I use for opening electronic devices. But this mediator (plectrum  ? in English ? ) was short lived (one seal only) .
So for the other seal, i used a small wood screw I screwed it into the seal and used this to pry the seal out. Of course, it is a destroying thing for the seal ...
Just my 2 ˘

IP Logged

tunnelrider

Reply #3 - 10/08/18 at 02:14:53
Post Tools
Thanks!  I never thought fire might be a tip Tony, classic  Grin
I like the sound of using a plectrum, will try it.
So am I right in thinking if the seal is untouched by not trying to take it out and still fresh looking, raised above the bore right around, they can stay there?  These ones look like they're still in good condition. I know it'd be best to replace them no matter what, especially if they come with the caliper rebuild kit.
« Last Edit: 10/08/18 at 03:38:56 by tunnelrider »  

IP Logged

Adrian

The Old Hairy Biker Sez...

Reply #4 - 10/08/18 at 04:12:39
Post Tools
I got mine out using wooden toothpicks 👍😉

R65 1984

IP Logged

Barry
God Member

Reply #5 - 10/08/18 at 05:24:54
Post Tools
tunnelrider wrote on 10/08/18 at 02:14:53:
So am I right in thinking if the seal is untouched by not trying to take it out and still fresh looking, raised above the bore right around, they can stay there?  These ones look like they're still in good condition. I know it'd be best to replace them no matter what, especially if they come with the caliper rebuild kit.

You won't know until the thing is back together and working. The seal has two jobs to do. It has to keep the brake fluid in and it has to have enough elasticity to withdraw the piston when the brake lever is released. Assuming no leaks the test is that there is no brake drag at all. You should be able to spin the front wheel by hand and it should keep spinning for a least 60 sec. To keep the piston moving freely I lube the outer part of the piston beyond the piston seal using red rubber brake grease.

Brake_Seal_008.jpg ( 33 KB | 8 Downloads )
Brake_Seal_008.jpg

Barry Cheshire, England 79 R45

IP Logged

georgesgiralt
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 10/08/18 at 07:27:33
Post Tools
Hello !
IMHO, if you have gone to the trouble dismantling your caliper, it is not wise to reassemble it without a new gasket.
You won't know if it work, as Barry said, before you try the bike and you won't know how much of life left in it..
Of course it is you bike and you life  Huh
Have a bright day.

IP Logged

DonC

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #7 - 10/08/18 at 08:45:58
Post Tools
If you scratch the bore of the caliper it's no big deal as the piston is the part that moves and the seal rides on its OD. In other words the piston surface where the seal rubs is what's critical. Look at the picture Barry posted and it should make sense.

IP Logged

tunnelrider

Reply #8 - 10/09/18 at 21:50:21
Post Tools
Thanks for all you replies, good pics Barry.  I hadn't known the seal is largely responsible for bringing the piston back 'til now.
I used a slightly blunted small jeweler's screwdriver, seal came out came out first pop, shouldn'tve been such a pussy about it  Smiley

IP Logged

wilcom
God Member

Reply #9 - 10/09/18 at 22:13:12
Post Tools
DonC wrote on 10/08/18 at 08:45:58:
If you scratch the bore of the caliper it's no big deal as the piston is the part that moves and the seal rides on its OD

Very good observation Don. Just the opposite of the piston rings and bore of our cylinders

Joe Wilkerson
Telephone man with a splash of Data
Menifee, CA

Present:
1984 BMW R65LS "Herr Head"
past:
1979  R65   
1980  R65          
1982 R80RT 
1974 R90/6     
1972  R75        
1964 R50

IP Logged

tunnelrider

Reply #10 - 10/12/18 at 04:04:40
Post Tools
Barry wrote on 10/08/18 at 05:24:54:
Assuming no leaks the test is that there is no brake drag at all. You should be able to spin the front wheel by hand and it should keep spinning for a least 60 sec.

That's a good standard to set, cheers Barry.  Looks like I'll be doing the F08 as well  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint