Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Tube size question (Read 295 times)
wilcom
God Member

Re: Tube size question
Reply #15 - 10/28/18 at 21:35:48
Post Tools
wilcom wrote on 10/28/18 at 01:16:33:
I'll give it a go on the rear tire in the morning

And that I did...…...I had help this morning  and the only issue I had was breaking the bead on the second side. I put a 2x4 across the thing and ran over it with my van and it was still stuck. We soaped and massaged for another 15 minutes and it finally peeled off,

Going on with the new tire was smooth, air'd it up a little and made sure the tube was smooth, levered the tire on the rest of the way and gave it some air. Bead seated at about 60 lbs and all looked good.

But alas, it wasn't holding air. Cry It was pouring out around the valve stem and would be down to "0" from 40 lbs in about a minute. I suspect the tube was ripped as it does not retain air for very long. Front was the same way, were not talk'n SLOW leak here. Roll Eyes

I have an appointment at the local Beemer dealer as soon as he opens in the morning.  Smiley

Joe Wilkerson
Telephone man with a splash of Data
Menifee, CA

Present:
1984 BMW R65LS "Herr Head"
past:
1979  R65   
1980  R65          
1982 R80RT 
1974 R90/6     
1972  R75        
1964 R50

IP Logged

wilcom
God Member

Reply #16 - 10/29/18 at 22:30:39
Post Tools
wilcom wrote on 10/28/18 at 21:35:48:
I have an appointment at the local Beemer dealer as soon as he opens in the morning.  http://www.bmwr65.org/htdocs/yabb2.612files/yabbfiles//Templates/Forum/default/s...

I got there when they opened at 9am (i'd already been up 4hrs, geees) They could not produce a tube to fit the tires of an antique motorbike. I checked one more place in that city and they too, had no tubes. Looks like I'm back waiting for tubes....again.

Prior to ordering tubes I pulled the tubes out and did a post mortem on the tubes. They were pinched in multiple areas, so bad that the tube would go flate before I could find all the holes Grin Grin Grin.

I decided to try tubless again and screwed in a valve stem and buttoned the tire up cinched a strap around it and soaped the hell out of it................it took air!!!!!! Smiley I tried the back rim and it also took air today. Nothing was different today from yesterday, go figure. It was me that was the difference. The tips you guys gave me lowered my level of frustration.

Thanks guys for bearing with me thru this  Roll Eyes

It look like I will be buzzing along just like Mrclubike pretty soon!!

Joe Wilkerson
Menifee, CA

Present:
past:
1979  R65   
1980  R65          
1982 R80RT 
1974 R90/6     
1972  R75        
1964 R50

IP Logged

georgesgiralt
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #17 - 10/30/18 at 01:38:31
Post Tools
Hello,
Go to a bike shop specializing in dirt bikes. All of them use tubes, so they generaly have tubes in stock...

IP Logged

steven m

It seemed like a good
idea at the time...

Reply #18 - 10/30/18 at 03:20:47
Post Tools
Hi All,
I've been away from the forum for bit, you know, life stuff, but I'm back, and surprised to be reading about tubeless tires on our r65 snowflake rims.  Last I had heard it was not a good idea because the rim profile wasn't right for sealing a tubeless tire.  I run Avon road tires with tubes on my 83.  Can I get rid of the tubes, get tubeless valve stems, and run them without tubes safely?

Thanks
Steve

IP Logged

georgesgiralt
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #19 - 10/30/18 at 04:56:46
Post Tools
Hello
Well yes you can run those tires tubeless. Safely ? That's another problem. The rims are not made for tubeless tires. As such, it is legally forbidden to put tubeless tires without tubes on those rims.
But it is your life and your bike.
I, for one, think that if BMW said the rim are not made for tubeless I do not use tires without tubes on them. I think they know better than I do. On the other hand, my '82 R65 is said to have a top speed of 175 km/hour. She came with H (210km/h) rated tires. I used S rated tires when I can find them on the proper sizes. And I asked BMW if it was safe. They answered that I could run S rated tire (180km/h max sustainable speed) on my bike without a problem. So I show the letter every time someone argues that I can't run those tires on my super fast bike....
Of course YMMV  Tongue

IP Logged

Barry
God Member

Reply #20 - 10/30/18 at 05:29:12
Post Tools
Totally agree that S rating is enough for my needs and besides often being cheaper sometimes an S rated tyre has a little more tread depth than an H rated version of the same tyre. The reason for that is deeper treads build more heat so depth had to be reduced on higher speed versions.

BMW usually supplied R45's with S rated and R65's with H rated. 

In the US some R65's were supplied with S rated tyres and a service bulletin was issued to the effect that dealers should replace them with H rated but only if the customer wanted them which indicated that they considered S rating adequate. Marketing probably had something to do with decisions about tyre speed rating.

Barry Cheshire, England 79 R45

IP Logged

Mrclubike
God Member

Reply #21 - 10/30/18 at 20:28:57
Post Tools
wilcom wrote on 10/29/18 at 22:30:39:
wilcom wrote on 10/28/18 at 21:35:48:
I have an appointment at the local Beemer dealer as soon as he opens in the morning.  http://www.bmwr65.org/htdocs/yabb2.612files/yabbfiles//Templates/Forum/default/s...

I got there when they opened at 9am (i'd already been up 4hrs, geees) They could not produce a tube to fit the tires of an antique motorbike. I checked one more place in that city and they too, had no tubes. Looks like I'm back waiting for tubes....again.

Prior to ordering tubes I pulled the tubes out and did a post mortem on the tubes. They were pinched in multiple areas, so bad that the tube would go flate before I could find all the holes Grin Grin Grin.

I decided to try tubless again and screwed in a valve stem and buttoned the tire up cinched a strap around it and soaped the hell out of it................it took air!!!!!! Smiley I tried the back rim and it also took air today. Nothing was different today from yesterday, go figure. It was me that was the difference. The tips you guys gave me lowered my level of frustration.

Thanks guys for bearing with me thru this  Roll Eyes

It look like I will be buzzing along just like Mrclubike pretty soon!!

The reason they sealed  easier this time  was  because they had been opened up when you seated it with the tubes   

Just keep a close  eye on your tire pressure until you know for sure they are sealing good against the rim

I had to add air more often than usual to the front until I started using bead sealer on it   

Bead_sealer.PNG ( 297 KB | 1 Download )
Bead_sealer.PNG

Buzzing along on my tubeless 82 R65
Industrial mobile equipment Mechanic  for over 35years  

IP Logged

Mrclubike
God Member

Reply #22 - 10/30/18 at 20:40:23
Post Tools
steven m wrote on 10/30/18 at 03:20:47:
Hi All,
I've been away from the forum for bit, you know, life stuff, but I'm back, and surprised to be reading about tubeless tires on our r65 snowflake rims.  Last I had heard it was not a good idea because the rim profile wasn't right for sealing a tubeless tire.  I run Avon road tires with tubes on my 83.  Can I get rid of the tubes, get tubeless valve stems, and run them without tubes safely?

Thanks
Steve

You can search here and ADV Rider to here the debate

You can read my thread about what i did to go tubeless By searching "Getting a Pilit Activ to seat on a snow flake"

You have to spell it wrong just like i did Grin

Buzzing along on my tubeless 82 R65
Industrial mobile equipment Mechanic  for over 35years  

IP Logged

wilcom
God Member

Reply #23 - 10/30/18 at 20:59:46
Post Tools
Mrclubike wrote on 10/30/18 at 20:28:57:
Just keep a close  eye on your tire pressure until you know for sure they are sealing good against the rim

Good Call......
I had my eye on the front and kept putting soapy water around the bead and I did have a few tiny bubbles in one area, none on the back. The rear tire was tubless already(surprise surprise) so I have been 3500 miles so far and not had any issues with that rim.

I let them set over night and could not detect any pressure loss. With the pressure gauge I have it's very hard to tell the difference from 36-38 but it was pretty close to the pressure I had in them the night before.

Joe Wilkerson
Menifee, CA

Present:
past:
1979  R65   
1980  R65          
1982 R80RT 
1974 R90/6     
1972  R75        
1964 R50