Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Fluid and Filter Change (Read 51 times)
Bob_Roller
Global Moderator

GMT -7 Hours

Fluid and Filter Change
11/06/18 at 13:23:58
Post Tools
I'm getting ready for my annual vehicle maintenance .
I'm not putting a lot pf use on any of the bikes, the oilhead about 4-5 thousand miles, 6500-8,000 km, the  R65's and the Guzzi 600 miles, 1000 km a year .
With the use the oilhead gets, I'll stay with oil and filter replacement once a year, I'm thinking of holding off on the brake flush and transmission and final drive oils every three years .
The R65's and Guzzi, drain the oil and the oil filter cavity once a year and replace the filter every 3 years, same with the brake flush, transmission, shaft and final drive oil and fork oil .
I live in a low desert low humidity, the bikes rarely are ridden in rain, the oilhead was in rain once this year, the Guzzi and R65's have not been in rain the last 7 years .
Any thoughts on this ??

'81 R65
'82 R65 LS  
'84 R65 LS
'87 Moto Guzzi V65 Lario
'02 R1150R
Riding all year long since 1993 .
I'll give up my R65, when they pry my cold dead hands from the handlebars !!!!!

IP Logged

Barry
God Member

Re: Fluid and Filter Change
Reply #1 - 11/06/18 at 14:11:36
Post Tools
I'm doing the same on the transmission oils using synthetic 75W90. I got fed up with draining perfectly clean oil out of the gearbox and final drive with negligible fuzz on the magnets. I'll still take a look at the oil levels at the annual service and maybe draw some out with a syringe to check for any contamination.  Every 3 years is still more than adequate compared to typical lifetime fill of car transmissions and final drives.

I change the engine oil annually and filter every other year.

Brake fluid gets changed every 2 years.

Barry Cheshire, England 79 R45

IP Logged

skippyc

Shouldn't have sold them
old bikes.

Re: Fluid and Filter Change
Reply #2 - 11/06/18 at 16:59:30
Post Tools
I go for 3 years as i don't ride in rain or water wash the bike modern oils would probably last me 10 years.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint