Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Seat Lock (Read 143 times)
Adrian

The Old Hairy Biker Sez...

Seat Lock
01/09/19 at 00:30:25
Post Tools
Hi again - I realised today that I have only one key for my new seat lock - no doubt Motorworks sent me two so I have lost one - there are no numbers on te lock or the key - so how do I get a 2nd key for the lock.
I tried my local keymaker but even with a few hundred blanks he doesn't have one that is suitable.
Thanks for any help .......

Lock_B.jpg ( 105 KB | 10 Downloads )
Lock_B.jpg
Key_A.jpg ( 115 KB | 10 Downloads )
Key_A.jpg

1984 R65 (860)

IP Logged

georgesgiralt
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Seat Lock
Reply #1 - 01/09/19 at 01:09:58
Post Tools
Hello
Normally, the key # came on a plastic/paper clip attached to the key ring (if the key are OEM).
BMW and I bet Motobins sell a blank either in plain metal or fold-able metal/plastic.

IP Logged

Barry
God Member

Reply #2 - 01/09/19 at 04:37:05
Post Tools
I wonder if a locksmith could re-build your new seat lock so that it operates using the ignition key - which is how it would have been originally.  Depends how easy it is to remove and dismantle the lock barrel.  I've done it before on a car ignition lock barrel just by changing the order of the locking pins.

Barry Cheshire, England 79 R45

IP Logged

Tony Smith
God Member

Graduate, Wallace and
Gromit School of Engineering

Reply #3 - 01/09/19 at 06:16:04
Post Tools
Barry wrote on 01/09/19 at 04:37:05:
I wonder if a locksmith could re-build your new seat lock so that it operates using the ignition key - which is how it would have been originally.  .

I removed the seat lock and took the whole mechanism to a locksmith along with my ignition switch and the brand new steering head lock I'd just bought (key broken off in lock). The locksmith made all three locks the same for very few dollars and cut me spare keys to boot.

You can buy BMW key blanks on eBay these days.

1978 R100RS| 1984 R65 | 1992 KLE500 | 2002 R1150GSA

IP Logged

Adrian

The Old Hairy Biker Sez...

Reply #4 - 01/10/19 at 00:33:12
Post Tools
Adrian wrote on 01/09/19 at 00:30:25:
Hi again - I realised today that I have only one key for my new seat lock - no doubt Motorworks sent me two so I have lost one - there are no numbers on te lock or the key - so how do I get a 2nd key for the lock.
I tried my local keymaker but even with a few hundred blanks he doesn't have one that is suitable.

Thanks everyone - there are at least 2 options for buying blanks that I can get cut  Wink Cool

1984 R65 (860)

IP Logged

BPT
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 01/13/19 at 17:42:37
Post Tools
Taking the seat lock apart is pretty easy.  It's actually worse getting the lock assembly off of the bike.
One part to be careful with is the sliding covers that go over the pins and springs. I've seen some made of steel, but the first one I took apart had some made of brass.  It's easy to mangle the brass ones, especially if they have gunk on them that makes them not want to slide out easily.
Does anyone know what size pins are in the seat lock?  Bonus points if anyone knows where to get the wafers for the ignition type lock.

1983 R65 w/ Velorex 562 Sidecar

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint