Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Lock re-keying (Read 213 times)
georgesgiralt
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Lock re-keying
01/10/19 at 04:41:20
Post Tools
Hello guys,
Has someone had the new ignition lock sold by Motobins/Motorworks and made in ??? re-keyed ?
The key looks like an OEM one but I wonder if dismantling the lock to work on it is feasible ? (on the NLA OEM lock it is very tricky to open it and reassembling it without destroying the whole is not guaranteed... )
And at £144 apiece, well.....

IP Logged

BPT
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Lock re-keying
Reply #1 - 01/13/19 at 17:34:54
Post Tools
I recently posted a question on Facebook about the originals and got no response.  I have an ignition with no key and was wondering if it's possible to take apart without destroying it (was hoping to try and match it to an existing key).

1983 R65 w/ Velorex 562 Sidecar

IP Logged

Tony Smith
God Member

Graduate, Wallace and
Gromit School of Engineering

Reply #2 - 01/13/19 at 18:09:24
Post Tools
BPT wrote on 01/13/19 at 17:34:54:
I recently posted a question on Facebook about the originals and got no response.† I have an ignition with no key and was wondering if it's possible to take apart without destroying it (was hoping to try and match it to an existing key).

A locksmith can certainly do that. I have pulled an R65 igntiion lock/switch apart, but it was already broken and I wasn't able to fix the switch, so that doesn't advance your cause.

1978 R100RS| 1984 R65 | 1992 KLE500 | 2002 R1150GSA

IP Logged

jp9094

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #3 - 01/14/19 at 11:17:20
Post Tools
When I obtained my '83 r 65 LS 1 2016 the key supplied was problematic in that it took various amounts of jiggling to make it work.

I removed the lock and took it and 3 blank keys to my local locksmith who was able to make new keys that fit perfectly and worked without problem.

They do it by inserting the blank and agitating it. They then file the "shiny" high spots until it fits (they also clean and lubricate the lock well before starting). Only took one day and cost US$30! Hope this helps.

Regards from Brooklyn.

"It's what you learn, after you know it all, that counts"

IP Logged

georgesgiralt
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 01/15/19 at 00:45:54
Post Tools
Yes, I know that a good locksmith can make a key fitting a lock without one.
My question is reversed. Has someone had the new contact switch re-keyed to fit the old key of the bike ? This will involve opening it and move/change/cut the tumblers and then reassemble it... And that's the tricky part.

IP Logged

Barry
God Member

Reply #5 - 01/15/19 at 02:05:58
Post Tools
It's a physically smaller lock barrel than the car one I did so it's bound to be tricky but it wouldn't stop me trying.

Barry Cheshire, England 79 R45

IP Logged

BPT
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #6 - 01/15/19 at 17:22:39
Post Tools
And I'm also trying to accomplish what Georgesgiralt is.  I want to match a spare to a key I already have. 
I've looked all over the net and havenít found anything about taking the housing apart.
The only things I've been able to find were people re-keying but they already had a key.
I know that one of the wafers inside the tumbler holds the tumber in the housing.  But I think you have to have the key to allow you to use that to release the tumbler that way.

IP Logged

Tony Smith
God Member

Graduate, Wallace and
Gromit School of Engineering

Reply #7 - 01/15/19 at 17:30:00
Post Tools
The lock barrel is removed (usually) by inserting a special tool into the lock to release the barrel from the outer case. The locksmith can then file down or make new individual pins so that the lock can be altered to fit the key.

1978 R100RS| 1984 R65 | 1992 KLE500 | 2002 R1150GSA

IP Logged

georgesgiralt
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 01/16/19 at 02:50:41
Post Tools
Tony, you're opening up a new world of opportunity here !
I though one have to remove the electrical switch at the base to get to the lock proper.
I'll go to my locksmith and ask...

IP Logged

Barry
God Member

Reply #9 - 01/16/19 at 08:55:38
Post Tools
Last time I re-keyed a lock I found this locking picking article on internet and used it to understand how locks worked.

Lock_Picking.pdf ( 508 KB | 9 Downloads )

Barry Cheshire, England 79 R45

IP Logged

BPT
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #10 - 01/16/19 at 12:27:08
Post Tools
The special tool Tony is referring to might have to do with that wafer I was talking about. The key lines up all of the wafers to allow the tumber to turn. But the very last wafer's function is to hold the tumbler in the housing.
The special tool I've seen for the BMW locks is a hacksaw blade cut down and with a notch on the end.  It's possibly doable with a paper clip bent at the tip.  But I wasn't successful and I didn't know if it was my lack of skills or if it required you to turn the key to one of the unlocked positions in order to remove it.
I tried with a paper clip and a couple of different lockpcks but no luck.
So that's why I was wondering if there was non-destructive a way to take the whole thing apart.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint