Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) I used to be a Rat Bike... (Read 1411 times)
KiwiQLD
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: I used to be a Rat Bike...
Reply #60 - 04/20/19 at 03:31:25
Post Tools
Progress on my R65LS. Getting close to registering

IP Logged

ged in oz

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #61 - 04/20/19 at 05:20:25
Post Tools
Well, thatís a nice bike mate.

Have you sold off your original rear subframe yet? Iím chasing one.

IP Logged

KiwiQLD
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #62 - 04/20/19 at 07:18:47
Post Tools
Yes mate, there are a couple of bikes being redone around Brissie and the parts have been resurrecting them, have a R80 subframe for sale if you wanted to go longer wheel base.

IP Logged

ged in oz

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #63 - 04/20/19 at 23:37:13
Post Tools
Good to hear that there are other people undertaking resurrections. R65ís havenít been this popular since 1983!

They should start threads on here so we can all admire their progress.

Nah, Iíll wait till I find the correct 83 R65 subframe.

IP Logged

ged in oz

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #64 - 04/25/19 at 02:21:19
Post Tools
Well that put a stop to proceedings. But the bigger issue was why it sounded like a bucket of bolts in my bottom end that happened almost simultaneously!

And it wasnít the starter motor this time... It did sound more like the gearbox or the clutch. The noise has disappeared again now that Iíve got it home (on a trailer). Iíll get the tire repaired and start trying to find what on earth happened.

IP Logged

ged in oz

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #65 - 05/12/19 at 05:46:18
Post Tools
Been a couple of weeks, I should update this a little.

So, it turns out.....

The tyre in the photo above is buggered. It actually plugged up ok, but the tubeless valve seal was destroyed during the 20 meters that it took me to pull upbefore I had it trailered home. So that meant taking it into the shop and of course, a repaired tyre is like a weak link in a chain... just replace it. Which cost me $206 for a brand new Michelin Pilot Activ. Whaaat? I gotta say, I was a little shocked at that, but so it goes. Anyway. Itís done and the bike is better and more reliable for it.

Now, the box of bolts noise! My great thanks to Mr.Clubike for his assistance in sorting this out... The neutral light switch on this bike has always been on continuously. There is a lockout in the circuit which stops the bike starting while it is in gear, but that can be overridden by pulling in the clutch lever.

The clutch lever switch in my bike is in 5 pieces, (not good) while the neutral switch has been bypassed by a jumper wire, which you would do if you couldnít make the neutral switch work, and therefore couldnít start the bike. What then happens if the 35 year old starter relay decides to start dropping its bundle, and just randomly engages the starter!!!???  I reckon itíd sound like my bike does.

There should be a photo below of a nice pile of MotoBins goodness which is slowly transforming things, including a neutral switch which I fitted today. I followed Snowbums guide pretty much and I gotta say, thatís a fantastic resource. Itís actually a bit of a bugga  of a job and it took me a two attempts to get it function. The previous (non functioning) installation had both a spacer and thin crush washer. No wonder it didnít work.... It should just have a 2mm crush washer. The clearances are obviously pretty fine. Works great now.

I also bought a new starter relay, which incorporates a diode (which in earlier examples was actually an inline diode). Itís a bizarre circuit and my thanks to Mr.Clubike for helping me get my head around it! The old starter relay btw, is date stamped 1983. No wonder itís getting dodgy.

Hopefully, the other photo below shows some other major transformations. I finally put a new needle bearing in the shift lever pivot. I ordered (the wrong) bush first time round, so the new needle bearing has been taken a lot of the slush out of the lever, but added with the new adjuster/linkage/ball joints and a new shift rubber, it finally feels great! It makes such a difference to the ride, itís phenominal.

As does the other major element in the photo, the ďnewĒ standard mufflers! I picked them up as part of the R45 cache but I needed the special mounting brackets which mate up to the hanger plates. So I also ordered those up new from MotoBins as well as the mounting hardware. I canít tell you what a difference itís made....

If youíve been following this thread, the bike came originally with hot dog style mufflers on a fabricated mild steel header system. I fitted up a pair of ďmegaphoniesĒ that I had lying around in my shed that had previously been fitted on a Hinkley Bonnie and they were really LOUD! The fabricated headers are 38mm tube welded onto the original 35mm stubs at the head and the mufflers are 35mm ID, so I had to roll up and weld some 35mm adapters to fit between the two systems. You can see two exhaust clamps in the photo, which 1explains whatís going on there. What I hadnít figured on was the centrestand getting caught up on the clamp and not retracting fully. The first left hander I ran into, with a car coming the other way of course, I grounded the centrestand reeealy early and had to lift it up and veer into the oncoming car! Hmmm. Hilarious. Anyway, we made it and Iíve adjusted the clamp accordingly.

The result though is awesome. The standard mufflers are whisper quiet. It just changes the whole experience. The loud pipes really were intrusive. My wife and the dogs could hear me coming from kilometres away! Now, I pull up in the carport and no one hears me. Haha

The next major advancement is the sidestand! Thank you Tony Smith who did a deal I couldnít refuse. Whoohoo. What a difference (again). The centrestand really was bugging me. Reverse parking on an incline was a nightmare. I actually had to ask a passer by for a hand getting it off the stand last week. Embarrassing.

So, thatís all good news and Iíve been riding the bike heaps! My odometer still doesnít work but Iím thinking Iím well over the first thousand klms. Still heaps of jobs to do though, so on it goes.

Carb kits are next along with fuel lines and new filter.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 
Send TopicPrint