Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) I used to be a Rat Bike... (Read 3603 times)
KiwiQLD
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: I used to be a Rat Bike...
Reply #60 - 04/20/19 at 03:31:25
Post Tools
Progress on my R65LS. Getting close to registering

IP Logged

ged in oz

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #61 - 04/20/19 at 05:20:25
Post Tools
Well, thatís a nice bike mate.

Have you sold off your original rear subframe yet? Iím chasing one.

IP Logged

KiwiQLD
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #62 - 04/20/19 at 07:18:47
Post Tools
Yes mate, there are a couple of bikes being redone around Brissie and the parts have been resurrecting them, have a R80 subframe for sale if you wanted to go longer wheel base.

IP Logged

ged in oz

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #63 - 04/20/19 at 23:37:13
Post Tools
Good to hear that there are other people undertaking resurrections. R65ís havenít been this popular since 1983!

They should start threads on here so we can all admire their progress.

Nah, Iíll wait till I find the correct 83 R65 subframe.

IP Logged

ged in oz

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #64 - 04/25/19 at 02:21:19
Post Tools
Well that put a stop to proceedings. But the bigger issue was why it sounded like a bucket of bolts in my bottom end that happened almost simultaneously!

And it wasnít the starter motor this time... It did sound more like the gearbox or the clutch. The noise has disappeared again now that Iíve got it home (on a trailer). Iíll get the tire repaired and start trying to find what on earth happened.

IP Logged

ged in oz

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #65 - 05/12/19 at 05:46:18
Post Tools
Been a couple of weeks, I should update this a little.

So, it turns out.....

The tyre in the photo above is buggered. It actually plugged up ok, but the tubeless valve seal was destroyed during the 20 meters that it took me to pull upbefore I had it trailered home. So that meant taking it into the shop and of course, a repaired tyre is like a weak link in a chain... just replace it. Which cost me $206 for a brand new Michelin Pilot Activ. Whaaat? I gotta say, I was a little shocked at that, but so it goes. Anyway. Itís done and the bike is better and more reliable for it.

Now, the box of bolts noise! My great thanks to Mr.Clubike for his assistance in sorting this out... The neutral light switch on this bike has always been on continuously. There is a lockout in the circuit which stops the bike starting while it is in gear, but that can be overridden by pulling in the clutch lever.

The clutch lever switch in my bike is in 5 pieces, (not good) while the neutral switch has been bypassed by a jumper wire, which you would do if you couldnít make the neutral switch work, and therefore couldnít start the bike. What then happens if the 35 year old starter relay decides to start dropping its bundle, and just randomly engages the starter!!!???  I reckon itíd sound like my bike does.

There should be a photo below of a nice pile of MotoBins goodness which is slowly transforming things, including a neutral switch which I fitted today. I followed Snowbums guide pretty much and I gotta say, thatís a fantastic resource. Itís actually a bit of a bugga  of a job and it took me a two attempts to get it function. The previous (non functioning) installation had both a spacer and thin crush washer. No wonder it didnít work.... It should just have a 2mm crush washer. The clearances are obviously pretty fine. Works great now.

I also bought a new starter relay, which incorporates a diode (which in earlier examples was actually an inline diode). Itís a bizarre circuit and my thanks to Mr.Clubike for helping me get my head around it! The old starter relay btw, is date stamped 1983. No wonder itís getting dodgy.

Hopefully, the other photo below shows some other major transformations. I finally put a new needle bearing in the shift lever pivot. I ordered (the wrong) bush first time round, so the new needle bearing has been taken a lot of the slush out of the lever, but added with the new adjuster/linkage/ball joints and a new shift rubber, it finally feels great! It makes such a difference to the ride, itís phenominal.

As does the other major element in the photo, the ďnewĒ standard mufflers! I picked them up as part of the R45 cache but I needed the special mounting brackets which mate up to the hanger plates. So I also ordered those up new from MotoBins as well as the mounting hardware. I canít tell you what a difference itís made....

If youíve been following this thread, the bike came originally with hot dog style mufflers on a fabricated mild steel header system. I fitted up a pair of ďmegaphoniesĒ that I had lying around in my shed that had previously been fitted on a Hinkley Bonnie and they were really LOUD! The fabricated headers are 38mm tube welded onto the original 35mm stubs at the head and the mufflers are 35mm ID, so I had to roll up and weld some 35mm adapters to fit between the two systems. You can see two exhaust clamps in the photo, which 1explains whatís going on there. What I hadnít figured on was the centrestand getting caught up on the clamp and not retracting fully. The first left hander I ran into, with a car coming the other way of course, I grounded the centrestand reeealy early and had to lift it up and veer into the oncoming car! Hmmm. Hilarious. Anyway, we made it and Iíve adjusted the clamp accordingly.

The result though is awesome. The standard mufflers are whisper quiet. It just changes the whole experience. The loud pipes really were intrusive. My wife and the dogs could hear me coming from kilometres away! Now, I pull up in the carport and no one hears me. Haha

The next major advancement is the sidestand! Thank you Tony Smith who did a deal I couldnít refuse. Whoohoo. What a difference (again). The centrestand really was bugging me. Reverse parking on an incline was a nightmare. I actually had to ask a passer by for a hand getting it off the stand last week. Embarrassing.

So, thatís all good news and Iíve been riding the bike heaps! My odometer still doesnít work but Iím thinking Iím well over the first thousand klms. Still heaps of jobs to do though, so on it goes.

Carb kits are next along with fuel lines and new filter.

IP Logged

ged in oz

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #66 - 06/16/19 at 04:51:26
Post Tools
Well, a few more weeks, a few more klms, a few more bills, and a little more progress.

Iíve replaced the noisy timing chain which had just started to whack itself into the case, so that was right on time. I didnít replace the crankshaft sprocket and bearing, and theyíve got a bit of life left in them yet, but it needs doing within a a year or so at the current rate.

I vapour blasted The timing chest while it was out, but I didnít go overboard on it because it was being repainted. I had a few cans of VHT high temp paint that were lying around that Iíve been using up on this, and I started a new can to do this job and it looks like itís a gloss whereas Iíve used a satin finish of the starter motor cover... Oh well. Iíll get away with that, as long as itís not in a shiners parade!

The biggest complication was the disintergrating ignition connector that turned into crumbs when I disconnected it. The awesome contributors here were a great help tracking down the correct plug and socket replacements which I ended up getting from EME in Denver, CO. They do some great airhead bits those guys. I used DHL instead of USPS and that cost more that the parts, but it was in Australia in 3 days, but it then it sat in Australian Customs for another 4 or 5 bloody days... 

Still, thatís not as long as the header pipes that I finally tracked down! They came from CA via USPS in a couple of days, and then waited in customs here for over 2 weeks! It all fitted up beautifully except I still need a a couple of clamps and the bracket on one side. It looks great though. Finally.

Iíve done a host of other little bits and pieces as well including routing the new fuel line correctly, a new rain seal on the fuel cap, fitting the rear tank support rubbers, that came on the imported spare tank, (as well as the tap, the cap etc). The tank was a good buy! and it will look heaps better than the repaired one when it finally gets repainted and fitted, but I was very  lucky to get it into the country at all.

I also got around to opening up my dodgy speedo today as well. Iíll post an update in the other thread on here about my experience, but the good news is that it works like a beauty! Odometer clicks over, the needle doesnít dance about, and its pretty accurate to boot. Woo Hoo! Iíve been using the
R45 speedo on it which is a different model number, and it worked ok but it was pretty inaccurate. Itís nice to have it functioning properly. 

I just need to find the plastic instrument surround! It looks like they break pretty easily so spares are in short supply...

Anyway, it rolls on and on. Iíll update more soon.

I went off for a ride this afternoon and finally!, it rides beautifully, sounds like it should and is just generally pleasure to ride. Very happy with it.

IP Logged

ged in oz

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #67 - 06/18/19 at 05:33:52
Post Tools
Too early for before and after? Nah, bugger it.

Iíve put another couple of hundred klms on it over the past few days and Iíve gotta say, itís just a really sweeeet little bike....

I spoke with a bloke on a R75/6† a few weeks ago and he suggested the key to happiness was to preload the gear lever a little with my toe and to change up between 4 and 5 thousand rpm. Great advice. It just absolutely hummms along.

The loud pipes had me plodding around† to avoid being too raucous, while the standard exhaust just begs to keep the revs up and when you do, it just drones away really happily. And quickly! The standard pipes and headers are so all nicely tucked away it has also cleared up all the ground clearance issues I had kept running into and so Iíve finally scrubbed out the chicken strips on that new rear Michelin!

Ive put a photo below beside the river from a few weeks ago (before the headers went on) which shows her in her new role as a delivery hack for my business, dropping off boxes of roasted coffee. I do a lot of klms every week in a 150klm loop (all through beautiful, scenic, twisty mountain roads) and quite often with only 10 or 15kg on board, so the single seat and carry rack are perfect.

Iím still tracking down a complete rear subframe to fit the dual seat Iíve got and Iím thinking of turning it into a convertible with the whole rear section of subframe, seat, guard, indicators etc swapped out with the just the 4 frame bolts, the 2 upper shock bolts, the 2 wiring connectors and then the number plate. I love taking my wife with me, (sometimes).† Smiley

Future? Wellll... it turns out that there is a real buyers market for old BMW fairings so Iíve been getting on my best Milo Minderbinder and doing the Egyptian Cotton thing. Like honestly, you canít even give them away at the moment!

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/mawson/motorcycle-scooter-parts/bmw-r80rt-faring...

So, I can see one of that selection below ending up on the old girl at some point in the future. Itís the middle of winter here at the moment (about 15C on a cold day like today) and I donít think Iím as young as I used to be! I was going to fit an RT fairing, (because the existing bar and cables would fit) but I really like the look of that RS fairing, and all those cables are due for replacement anyway...

IP Logged

wilcom
God Member

Reply #68 - 06/18/19 at 07:55:12
Post Tools
ged in oz wrote on 06/18/19 at 05:33:52:
Too early for before and after? Nah, bugger it.

GREAT JOB! You truely saved her from the clutches of time..............

Joe Wilkerson
Telephone man with a splash of Data
Menifee, CA

Present:
1984 BMW R65LS "Herr Head"
past:
1979† R65† †
1980† R65† †† †† ††
1982 R80RT†
1974 R90/6††† †
1972† R75† †† †††
1964 R50

IP Logged

skippyc

Shouldn't have sold them
old bikes.

Reply #69 - 06/18/19 at 18:36:43
Post Tools
Well done. When you see the difference I am not a fan of rat bikes.

IP Logged

ged in oz

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #70 - 06/19/19 at 03:23:36
Post Tools
Cheers fellas.

Yeah, it was pretty ratty wasnít it? I think Iíve been through just about everything now. Itís been a journey.

The good news is that it is really rewarding me for all of the effort Iíve put into her. Itís a really nice little bike and itís been putting out some serious klms over the past couple of months and it just keeps getting better and better. Iím really enjoying riding it and Iíve had people come up and start talking a few times now when I pull up in local towns. Itís nice to see old bikes still trundling around!

I finally managed to do a deal today on the last remaining bits outstanding! The instrument shroud, a complete rear subframe with lights, indicators, seat, tail unit and toolbox. Basically my whole convertible setup. Plus another bloody fairing.... I canít wait. I just have to do a 600klm round trip to pick it all up....

IP Logged

ged in oz

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #71 - 06/30/19 at 04:10:35
Post Tools
So, I managed to squeeze in the 500klm round trip last weekend to collect the final cache of missing bits. Again, cheap as chips and in the current market, buyers canít give this stuff away! A complete rear subframe with guard, mud flap, lights, nice seat (black too!), toolboxes the missing instrument binnacle top section (and original fold over key!) sidecovers, front guard, fairing etc etc...  It didnít include the binnacle lower section, but bizarrely enough, I collected one of those with the R45 cache.

Before I could fit all of that up I needed to buff the tailpiece that I had painted blue when I did the all of the other pieces a few months ago. I took me seconds to buff through the colour coat of course, thus starting a revolving cascade of tail chasing paint adventures for another half a day!

So I did the ďconvertibleĒ changeover today and as expected, it took probably an hour or so, after sorting the obligatory electrical issues of bad earth and dirty connector... Initially nothing worked! One indicator and the tailight went off when you activated the brake lever, that was it. 45 minutes of testing and prodding later, I hit the actual connector plug up with contact cleaner and blink, blink, blink. All good.

Excellent! All the electricals then, are a single 6 pin connector under the left hand side cover. The rest of the changeover job was the 4 subframe bolts, the two upper shock mounts, swing the seat on and itís done.

Which is good.... I really like the single seat now. Along with the rack, itís been great. Ive been running boxes around for my work, and running up lots of klmís so itís been really utilitarian and useful. Thereís photos below but, now that all of that is finished, it looks like any other bloody 1983 R65! The pooncy cream couloured single seat and the little rack, actually really give it character and an identity and itís useful as well! I miss them already, so I can see it all going back on again in a few more weeks time. Iíll get some photos of it like this in the meantime.

I went for a run this afternoon with my Mrs, and I know that she is the pillion in a million! but still, the little R65 didnít even notice.... It just handled beautifully two up, more than enough power and it just soaked up the extra weight without even thinking about it. The rear YSSís are always set to max spring preload. Keep it reving, and the motor always has just enough power to do whatever you ask it to.

There are a lot of things about this R65 that I really, really like.

So, I reckon that that concludes stage 1. Itís not going to win a medal in any shiners parade, but it looks fine, runs well and so far is really, really reliable. Weíve did have that one trip home in a trailer a few months ago, but that was a flat tyre, so it doesnít really count.

Lots and lots of other things to do as it goes along but I guess that Iíve done what I set out to do and itís now on the road, looks largely standard, runs beautifully and reliably and itís been saved from the knackers yard or even worse, a set of Firestone cross plys  and wrapped exhaust pipes! Smiley

Stay tuned, more to come Iím sure.

IP Logged

tiggum

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #72 - 06/30/19 at 10:13:57
Post Tools
NICE!  Good work on your part; the R65 really looks nice in its original condition.

IP Logged

BPT
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #73 - 06/30/19 at 11:17:22
Post Tools
Great job and an amazing transformation, especially in a relatively short amount of time.† I applaud your work ethic, sir.

Honestly, I thought the idea of the ugly as hell but runs like a beast rat bike would have been great, dented tank and all.† But this turned out looking nice.

And even if you think it now looks like "any other" R65, just remember it's still the bastard† stepchild of the BMW world, so we're all still a little special.† †Wink

"Except for R65" ........† that means Exceptional, right?

1983 R65 w/ Velorex 562 Sidecar

IP Logged

Tony Smith
God Member

Graduate, Wallace and
Gromit School of Engineering

Reply #74 - 06/30/19 at 15:15:06
Post Tools
Well done on de-ratting that bike, it really does look great and is a credit to your hard work.

If by chance you end up with enough spare bits to make an RS fairing, I'd like to have a talk to you. I was planning on fitting a K100RS, fairing, tank and ductail to mine, but the amount of work required means that the project keeps heading to the back burner. Besides, the tank I was planning use looks like it might be my only sound K-bike tank and I'll need it for the K100-RS  that is my next project.

1978 R100RS| 1984 R65 | 1992 KLE500 | 2002 R1150GSA

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 
Send TopicPrint