Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) I used to be a Rat Bike... (Read 3541 times)
ged in oz

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: I used to be a Rat Bike...
Reply #75 - 07/01/19 at 03:29:39
Post Tools
BPT wrote on 06/30/19 at 11:17:22:
And even if you think it now looks like "any other" R65, just remember it's still the bastard† stepchild of the BMW world, so we're all still a little special.† †Wink

"Except for R65" ........† that means Exceptional, right?

Thanks fellas. And thanks for all of the help and advice along the way too!

You know BPT, I think that these bikes have obviously been long underrated and I donít really know why that is except for the fact that theyíre not 800cc or 1000cc. Iíve had lots of big, fast sports bikes over the years and the reality is that these days, you just donít get to use that sort of potential without risking a very long stretch without a licence and hefty fines to boot. I donít know about you guys over there, but Australian roads are just sooooo over policed, itís completely ridiculous so Iím quite happy puttering around on a midsize bike these days and Iím enjoying a lot of aspects about this little bike.

Exceptional indeed!

Tony, Iíve got at least 2 RS fairings hanging in the shed now, (plus various spare sections), as well as the 2 RT fairings, so Iím sure we can work something out. I havenít really gotten around to having a good look at them all yet, but Iím pretty sure that both of the RSís are useable. Theyíre not going anywhere so lemme know when your ready.

IP Logged

ged in oz

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #76 - 07/22/19 at 05:33:09
Post Tools
So, on and on it goes...

Now that I have the rear end reconfigured, I need more carry room, of course. I picked up some panniers a couple of months ago and when I asked the question of how the hell they fit on this forum I was of course informed that they were meant for the mono shock model. Bugga. They seemed like such nice bags. Of weíll, not to be defeated I tracked down some images of what the correct frames should look like and eventually set about fabricating my own. Sounds easy doesnít it?

Well, it kinda was but it never seems like that when your in the middle of it... I used 10mm round bar instead of 12mm tube, (which would be better and I might get around to doing it one day - see below) and I bent them up and fabbed up the brackets etc and got it all to work well enough and it all came out ok and has been working just fine.

Of course, a couple of days after I got all of that sorted, I picked up (yet another) RT fairing, this time off a monoshock R80RT, (I bought it for the pair of clocks which were still fitted) but it also came with a set of the monoshock pannier frames! They wonít fit the short rear end of the twinshock R65, but I wish I had had them for measurements and comparison when I was fabbing up my brackets! I can see me butchering them up one day and changing the bottom mounting point, to make a hybrid frame one day when I get around to it. My frame is working just fine for the time being so Iím not rushing, even though I do have issues opening the seat up fully. I can get to the battery but I donít really need the storage space with all the room in the panniers.

Otherwise, weíve plugged away heaps of klms over the past couple of weeks and everything has been hunky dory until yesterday when I got a hideous rear end wobble while going through a sweeper at about 120klm/hr! Hmm, that was fun. I had greased and checked the swingarm bearings initially before I put it back on the road and they didnít need adjustment but I rechecked them this morning and there was a small but detectable deflection so I modified a socket to fit that bloody bearing orifice and reset the preload and torqued it all up and then spent the afternoon pushing it through 120klm/hr sweepers! Ha.

Actually, you can see from some of the photos below that I have been spending plenty of time on dirt roads out amongst the forests which surround where I live, (long story). I probably should have bought a bloody G/S! In fact, to tell the truth I did see an early R80GS a week or so before I bought this bike because it occurred to me that it would suit my purposes but I hadnít realised that in the interim the GS had sparked a whole revolution and an entire genre in its image and that early GSís have become a collectors item and are completely unaffordable. Whatever. The R65 is a really solid performer on dirt and it handles it all fantastically. Mind you, I did find itís limits today on the track in that last photo, (thanks to the local 4WD club who do that stuff to forest trails!) and I had to turn around.... which was problematic with the 2ft ruts theyíd created! I eventually had to do a burnout style turnaround to get it facing the other way, but we made it out! Great bike.

IP Logged

ged in oz

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #77 - 07/22/19 at 05:34:35
Post Tools
More

IP Logged

ged in oz

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #78 - 09/30/19 at 03:49:29
Post Tools
Well, itís been a few months so probably time for an update and Iím about to embark on the next phase of work, so I should record for posterity where Iím at before that gets underway.

These threads tend to be a nice historical diary of how these things progress and I was talking to a bloke today about another of my bikes, and I shared with him a 10 year old restoration thread I did on that bike!

So anyway, the repaired speedo is reading 69920 and I reset it to 65000 when I repaired the odometer and did the last major service, so that means itís due again. It was well worth repairing that odo and the repair (outlined in another thread here) has held up just fine. The only leak in the resealed instrument has been through the rubber gromet on the reset button on the front glass face and although MotoBins stock it, I baulked at the 7 quid price! Iíll just have to save up for it (and get my head around it!) I guess....

The 5000klm weíve ticked off in the meantime have been fantastic. Wonderfully reliable and solid as a rock. It hasnít let me down once and Iíve taken it to some pretty remote and out of the way places too and that reliability is a real necessity in those situations.

Some of the issues it has had though are now on the agenda for rectification.

Iíve adjusted the swingarm bearings on it twice now and I still have a really disconcerting rear end wallow on occasions when the speeds get up. Like over 120klm/hr. Not pretty.... The only remedy is I think, to completely strip out the rear end, replace the swingarm bearings, inspect everything else and reassemble, so the requisite bits are on the way over from MotoBins.

Itís a good time to do all that, because Iím going to have the gearbox and final drive out as well!

When I first drained and replaced the gearbox oil in this bike, it was way over full with milky hideous looking oil.... Itís taken me a while to realise that this is as a result of the sloppy old rubber seal on the speedo cable that allows water to enter the gearbox every time it rains. Again, not pretty....

For the past couple of months Iíve had this kind of rumbling bearing noise, thatís only really noticeable at lower speeds and it seems to be louder some days than others and itís really difficult to pinpoint exactly where itís coming from! I suspect that it is the output bearing on that gearbox. I was watching a Chris Harris video on YouTube recently and he talked exactly about this issue. Chrisí videos may be profane!, but he certainly knows his stuff.

I managed to pick up a second hand gearbox a couple of months ago off eBay for a few hundred bux, so Iíll install that as part of the current upgrades and that should give me a chance to have a look at the existing box and diagnose the issue properly. The clutch splines are well and truely due for inspection and lube also, so high time for both jobs.

While Iím in there doing that!, I might as well also deal with the leaky, thread bugged final drive in my bike! I think 3 of the 5 fillers/drain/breather threads on my FD are buggered and they all leak. Besides being unroadworthy, oil leaks have the habit of eventually catching you out and leaving you stranded, so in the interests of reliability itís time to do that as well.

So, I managed to pick up a spare low miles FD which a former LS owner had picked up from overseas as a spare for his bike, but never fitted. It looks pretty nice, so hopefully that should solve some more problems.

While Iím dealing with all that lot, Iíll also do all the regular oil change, valve clearance, carb tune, timing etc etc as well as fitting a bunch of other bits and pieces that Iíve collected over the past few months and not yet attended to, like front wheel bearings, exhaust clamps for the balance pipe and new bearing and pivot pin for the centrestand. That centrestand has also been a right pain in the butt the whole time with a modified ďtangĒ for lowering it that manages to ground out really early on left hand bends... Actually, itís a dangerous pain in the butt!

Iíll also take the time to look at the front end and maybe change fork oil for 7.5wt to see if that makes things better. I suspect the issue Iím really chasing is to do with the swingarm bearings, but Iím fitting fork gaiters to it, so I may as well take the opportunity to change oils and see how it feels.

Anyway, another War and Peace length post, so Iíll add some photos and update again in a couple of weeks once I get all of that sorted!

IP Logged

Tony Smith
God Member

Graduate, Wallace and
Gromit School of Engineering

Reply #79 - 10/02/19 at 06:18:16
Post Tools
Considering where that bike started from you have done a truly magnificent job.

Take a bow Sir!

And yes I will be chasing you for a fairing, just as soon as I complete my dance with the Spainish fan dancer (which i expect to successfully complete by about April next year).

In the meantime, I hope to be well enough to take the R860 for a run the weekend after next.

1978 R100RS| 1984 R65 | 1992 KLE500 | 2002 R1150GSA

IP Logged

wilcom
God Member

Reply #80 - 10/02/19 at 12:42:38
Post Tools
Tony Smith wrote on 10/02/19 at 06:18:16:
Considering where that bike started from you have done a truly magnificent job.

Take a bow Sir!

Great job, (Me: standing in the front row applauding )

Joe Wilkerson
Telephone man with a splash of Data
Menifee, CA

Present:
1984 BMW R65LS "Herr Head"
past:
1979† R65† †
1980† R65† †† †† ††
1982 R80RT†
1974 R90/6††† †
1972† R75† †† †††
1964 R50

IP Logged

ged in oz

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #81 - 10/03/19 at 02:31:20
Post Tools
Thank you very much gentlemen! Iím sure none of us do this stuff for accolades or affirmation, but I do (very humbly) appreciate those comments from such esteemed company! Cheers.

Tony, good to hear the trajectory is up mate! Youíve been worryingly quiet lately so Iím glad to hear that things are progressing positively.

Your fairing lies in wait for you and Iíve kept one of the huuuge boxes that one of them shipped in especially. In the meantime keep your eyes open for the main fairing bracket, (which is different to the RT bracket) the 2 lower small brackets and a set of mirrors. There is a lot of seperate parts to these bloody fairings!

Photo from earlier today.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 
Send TopicPrint