Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Photo resizing (Read 279 times)
Tony Smith
God Member

Graduate, Wallace and
Gromit School of Engineering

Photo resizing
02/26/19 at 03:01:51
Post Tools
This topic seems to rear its ugly head every time we are lucky enough to gain a new member.

The maximum size photo that can be uploaded here (correct me if I am wrong Justin) is just under 1meg or 1024 kilobytes.

This limit was fine in the early days of digital photography, my first digital camera was an enormous Sony contraption that stored about 20 photos in what t was pleased to call "high quality" onto a 1.44meg floppy disc.

But time has moved on and even basic phones now sport 10 ~15 mega pixel cameras with the obvious impact on image size. I was only looking at my collection of disused digital cameras the other day and musing on the fact that there was a fundamental revolution in how the world took , stored and printed photos that led to the demise of ?kodak, the biggest photography house on planet earth, and yet 20 years later you can't give a pocket digital camera away because phones do pretty much a better job, and have neat stuff like automatic stability and jitter correction and immediate access to storage. Please note, I am not saying that any but the best phones even begin to rival a mid-level dedicated digital camera (even a pocket one) in terms of image quality, but the sheer utility of phones has snotted dedicated cameras into a cocked hat.

So, if you have Android your obvious choice of storage is the superb and free Google photos, if you still have a working copy of Picasa, software that Google abandoned and gifted any working copies to the user base whilst providing no means of downloading new copies, then you also have a fairly competent basic image editing suite. But the best thing about Google photos is that for their free storage they employ some digital trickery that greatly reduces the image size with little, if any, discernable reduction in image quality. Also, if you want you can direct link to photos in your google photo albums in much the same way as you used to be able to do in photobucket.

I'm sure that the other mob, those that bend the knee to the cult of Apple probably have similar solutions, but I'll also bet that true to form the cult of Apple will require payment in one form or another,

For those that still use a PC to peruse their groups and boards, I've mentioned Picasa, but another free photo utility I've used with success is Faststone Image Resizer. This bit of kit used to be freely available as a basic free version and you paid for a "professional" version if you needed it. I see that Faststone has now been taken over by NCH, an organization I do not like and who will doubtless seek to "monetize" all version of Faststone. But at least for th etime being you can download from http://www.faststone.org/FSResizerDetail.htm

1978 R100RS| 1984 R65 | 1992 KLE500 | 2002 R1150GSA

IP Logged

ged in oz

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Photo resizing
Reply #1 - 02/26/19 at 15:42:40
Post Tools
Iím sure I would have found that post most useful a few days ago Tony.

Itís there now for future newbies.

Iím certainly no fan of Apple Corp..  My wife is though! Fully paid up, card carrying member, so that dictates my choices.

Mind you, Apple totally stole a march on everybody else with the smartphone and were in the market establishing a dominant position long before anybody else even entered the fray and Iíve been enslaved ever since that era and the interlink between phone/iPad/cloud/family has just cemented that entrapment. Iím too far gone to change!

IP Logged

skippyc

Shouldn't have sold them
old bikes.

Reply #2 - 02/26/19 at 16:02:23
Post Tools
I use iresize on my ipad, but it no longer works on my iphone, it cost a $1 and is very simple to use. I am hoping the developer will update it to work on the phone again.

IP Logged

R65Guy

I'd rather be ridin'

Reply #3 - 03/15/19 at 22:25:17
Post Tools
Resizing is easy.  On the PC I've used Irfanview for well over a decade.  Always been free.  On Android I use Photo Editor 4.1 (from dev.macgyver) free version.  I don't do iPhone.

81 R65 & 16 R1200GS

IP Logged

Barry
God Member

Reply #4 - 03/16/19 at 10:02:31
Post Tools
I use paint.net which is free to download.  It will do a number of corrections as well as cropping and efficient re-sizing.

Barry Cheshire, England 79 R45

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint