Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Boeing 737-MAX 8 (Read 1436 times)
Justin B.
YaBB Administrator

I love my Beemers

Re: Boeing 737-MAX 8
Reply #30 - 04/07/19 at 18:02:36
Post Tools
Dang.  They have to crank the hell out of the trime?  Why can't they just pull back on the yoke after turning the thing off?  I think maybe Trump's right, planes are getting too complicated!

The planes I worked around in the Army had cables running to the control surfaces...

Justin B.

2004 BMW R1150RT
1981 R100RT - Summer bike, NEKKID!!!
IP Logged

Bob_Roller
Global Moderator

GMT -7 Hours

Reply #31 - 04/07/19 at 18:52:50
Post Tools
There are two cables that run the length of the fuselage back to the jackscrew in the aft ' hell hole ', the trim wheel is conneced to a cable drum below the control cabin, there is a chain drive system to connect the trim wheel in the control cabin, to the cable drum below the control cabin .

Yeah, it's a pretty lousy system .

Here's a video that shows a quick view of the cable drum  on the jackscrew actuator, there is a similar cable drum just under the control cabin .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7l_DSj6zUo

'81 R65
'82 R65 LS  
'84 R65 LS
'87 Moto Guzzi V65 Lario
'02 R1150R
Riding all year long since 1993 .
I'll give up my R65, when they pry my cold dead hands from the handlebars !!!!!

IP Logged

Justin B.
YaBB Administrator

I love my Beemers

Reply #32 - 04/08/19 at 11:08:41
Post Tools
Man, that's one long a$$ cable!

Justin B.

2004 BMW R1150RT
1981 R100RT - Summer bike, NEKKID!!!
IP Logged

Tony Smith
God Member

Graduate, Wallace and
Gromit School of Engineering

Reply #33 - 04/08/19 at 16:37:30
Post Tools
My flying days, such as they were, are over. The aircraft i flew had round dials, controls moved )mostly) by cables and rods, and the only "computer' on-board was between my ears. But, I must admit that this is personal prejudice and some of the aircraft types I flew had nasty reputations -e.g. Piper Aerostars and Beech singles (aka "forked tail doctor killers").

The point of this drivel -I flew an number of aircraft that had electric trim. After the first time I had one run  away and go to the full travel stop limit (leaving me heaving mightily on the control column whilst frantically winding the manual wheel) I made a point of identifying the precise circuit breaker that disabled the electric trim and ensuring that I could reach it easily. At least the electric trim on a Queenair was designed so that it had somewhat limited authority and could be overpowered by the pilot. Not all aircraft had that in mind when they were made.

1978 R100RS| 1984 R65 | 1992 KLE500 | 2002 R1150GSA

IP Logged

tiggum

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #34 - 05/02/19 at 16:29:14
Post Tools
I really like the "forked tail doctor killers"; you really have a way with words!

IP Logged

skippyc

Shouldn't have sold them
old bikes.

Reply #35 - 05/02/19 at 17:42:19
Post Tools
The length of the screw looks like a lot of available adjustment.

IP Logged

Tony Smith
God Member

Graduate, Wallace and
Gromit School of Engineering

Reply #36 - 05/02/19 at 18:47:15
Post Tools
tiggum wrote on 05/02/19 at 16:29:14:
I really like the "forked tail doctor killers"; you really have a way with words!

Not my words (I wish they were) see the wikipedia article below for an explanation of how the term came about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beechcraft_Bonanza

The term resonated with me because one of the more serendipitous things that happened whilst I was still flying involved a doctor whose wallet and imagination eneded up far exceeding his ability (cruel, but accurate). Said doctor was a member of the same aeroclub as I was and announced he was buying a brand new Mooney M20 aeroplane. (4 seater, retractable undercarriage and fairly "hot" performer). Prior to being delivered to him in Australia, the aeroplane was sent to Lo-Presti engineering where it received a number of modifications to increase its speed, climbing ability and a few other things - in the main the mods consisted of drag reduction such as gap filling, a new cowl, winglets, gear doors and similar things. The net result was what left the factory as a moderately "hot" ship, became a "rocket", but with some kickers - the stall behaviour went from moderately benign to "vicious" and even though the aircraft was now capable of significantly greater top and cruising speeds, the safe gear and flap extension speeds remained the same. I've forgotten the numbers now, but let's say that if you have a machine capable of cruising at 150kts, but your safe gear and flap extension speeds are around 100kts, then you have a management problem to get yourself slowed down to flap and gear speeds when approaching an airfield.

Anyway, said doctor never quite got a handle on the management required and in fact ripped his gear doors off once and bent the flaps - as a result he completely lost confidence in both the aircraft and his ability to fly it. But he still had clinics he needed to attend which is where I came in.

Initially the intention was merely for me to fly with him and "coach" but the reality was that he would always find excuses for my to fly instead of him. After a while we fell into the position where providing I would deliver him to the clinics and pick him up from them, I could pretty much treat his aircraft as my own, paying only for fuel. and that was like giving an addict the keys to the opiate cupboard. I did a not of very enjoyable hours in that aeroplane.

1978 R100RS| 1984 R65 | 1992 KLE500 | 2002 R1150GSA

IP Logged

tiggum

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #37 - 05/03/19 at 13:34:52
Post Tools
You poor thing....having to fly a doctor around, and being able to use his aircraft if you just bought the fuel.  Such a tough life!

If you are into Beechcraft in particularly (or even if you're not), you should know that Walter Beech was born southeast of Nashville, TN, near a town called Tullahoma, and it is there that a facility called the "Beechcraft Heritage Museum" has been built.  The museum has Travel Air biplanes, several Staggerwings (including both fixed- and retractable gear models), model 180 twins, beaucoup Bonanzas of all kinds of configurations, later models of other twin-engined aircraft and even one of the 23 Model 2000A "Starship" aircraft.  Google it.  Well worth seeing.

Send me your address via PM and I will mail you one of the brochures produced by the Museum.

IP Logged

Lucky_Lou
God Member

shoot first

Reply #38 - 05/04/19 at 18:07:42
Post Tools
Tony Smith wrote on 04/08/19 at 16:37:30:
I must admit that this is personal prejudice and some of the aircraft types I flew had nasty reputations -e.g. Piper Aerostars and Beech singles (aka "forked tail doctor killers").

I used to fly alot when i worked for BP where i developed a Predudice against any aircraft with Pratt Whitney engines, as a marine engineer i had to maintain and repair turbines which were basicaly similar to aircraft versions and every time i flew with those engines they always leaked oil out. One of the worst was a flight from Austin to Dallas with my family the Port engine was spewing oil out my wife knew of my distrust and commented as we boarded... you are not going to enjoy this flight are you. How right she was.
Lou
Ps It was a PW engine that blew up on take off at Manchester years ago sadly 55 passengers were killed   https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Airtours_Flight_28M

Ask questions later
IP Logged

Bob_Roller
Global Moderator

GMT -7 Hours

Reply #39 - 05/04/19 at 21:55:18
Post Tools
P&W engines are like Harleys, if they don't leak oil, they are out of oil !!

The accessory gearbox was the issue, the nuts on the threaded studs that held the gearbox together, always backed off and caused a leak .

That incident, was avoidable, the engine gave a lot of warnings that there was an issue with it, but maintenance  never did a borescope of the engine combustion section . A combustion chamber was blown out the side of the engine and punctured a fuel tank access panel on the bottom of the wing and caused the fire .
I worked on P&W engines for over 20 years on the JT8D and I have the opinion they were one of the most reliable engines ever made .

'81 R65
'82 R65 LS  
'84 R65 LS
'87 Moto Guzzi V65 Lario
'02 R1150R
Riding all year long since 1993 .
I'll give up my R65, when they pry my cold dead hands from the handlebars !!!!!

IP Logged

KiwiQLD
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #40 - 05/04/19 at 22:23:39
Post Tools
One of my favorite aircraft to fly was a Grumman AgCat with a P&W 985 radial, although it was noisy thristy and slow, open cockpit was great - this one had been converted to take 2 pax in what was once the hopper. big blind spot on landing though!

IP Logged

DeeG

Reply #41 - 05/24/19 at 00:48:35
Post Tools
I read that the Ethiopian F/O only had 200 hours.   That is beyond insane. 200?  You can't even get a commercial license in the US with 200 hours. Need a minimum of 1500 for an ATP (there are a couple of exceptions).  But there isn't a carrier in the US that is gonna put a freaking wet behind the ears 200 hour seat warmer in the cockpit.

Makes me wonder if he had more experience, would there have been a better outcome?

And 2 hours of sim training to fly this thing?  Insurance company won't let anyone with less than 25 hours in type fly our Stinson.

Dee G
1978 R45/N  
1978 R80 w/hack
1971 R75 (swb)

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint