Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Ignition Bean Can Wiring (Read 235 times)
ged in oz

I Love YaBB 2!

Ignition Bean Can Wiring
06/02/19 at 21:18:23
Post Tools
Iím just getting around to replacing the noisy timing chain on my Ď83 R65 which is going along ok, except for this little issue.... The pile of electrical tape over the ignition connector was a giveaway that things werenít right and of course when I removed the tape the entire connector disintergrated, as expected really.

The female connector doesnít look too bad, but I havenít fully investigated that as yet, but I see that Moto Bins has that loom section available if I need to replace it.

But, what to do with the other section between the bean can and the male connector end? I see that MB also has the whole pickup plate with new connector and loom section attached, so I guess thatís the obvious solution, but itís not cheap. I could just buy a second hand bean can, but that works out a little more expensive on EBay prices at the moment. And I imagine that the third alternative might be to replace the actual male connector, but itís a very specific item and obviously not so easy to locate?

Has anyone dealt with this previously? Any suggestions appreciated.

IP Logged

ged in oz

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: Ignition Bean Can Wiring
Reply #1 - 06/03/19 at 04:20:02
Post Tools
Hmm, might be a solution. Itís not original but it would probably be good for another 35 years. It wont be a fun job though replacing both ends, and soldering in situ on the female terminal ends...

Has anyone tried this?

https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/product-p/ign-plug088set.htm

IP Logged

georgesgiralt
God Member

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #2 - 06/03/19 at 04:28:20
Post Tools
Hello
You can find the connectors alone (search for AMP Junior Timer connectors, and you'll have to crimp the wires yourself.
You can find the connectors here : https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/680
As per the wiring, it is easy : when the contact is ON, you should have a + 5 V on the female connector, a ground and another which gives "nothing". The + goes to the red wire, the minus goes to the black wire and the "nothing" one to the green wire...
If the new pins looks like the old one which is likely, you may end without crimping ...
Hope this helps.

IP Logged

Sejati
YaBB Newbies

1982 R65LS

Reply #3 - 06/03/19 at 11:14:06
Post Tools
Thanks for this sharing. Mine have this same issue as well.

Another question, how about the 6 pin square power connector with different color, which mounted front of the frame.
And also for relay socket with mounting.
Anyone knows where to get it ?

Thanks in advance.

IP Logged

ged in oz

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #4 - 06/03/19 at 18:00:08
Post Tools
georgesgiralt wrote on 06/03/19 at 04:28:20:
Hello
You can find the connectors alone (search for AMP Junior Timer connectors, and you'll have to crimp the wires yourself.
You can find the connectors here : https://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/product/680
As per the wiring, it is easy : when the contact is ON, you should have a + 5 V on the female connector, a ground and another which gives "nothing". The + goes to the red wire, the minus goes to the black wire and the "nothing" one to the green wire...
If the new pins looks like the old one which is likely, you may end without crimping ...
Hope this helps.

Thanks for that Georges. Hmm, itís interesting that they offer female terminals in 2,3,4,5 and 6 pin configurations, but only 2 pin males? Thatís a bit bizarre...

I think Iíll go with the Enduralast version. Itís sold as specific for the BMW Bean Can sensor. Itís pretty reasonably priced at about A$25, but the freight cost is A$20 via snail mail, versus A$60 for DHL... A no brainer really, off the road for 1 week versus 3 weeks.

Well, at least the wait will give me time to vapour blast and repaint my timing chain chest and clean up and or replace some of the other very old and brittle wiring in there and replace the alternator brushes and springs as well. The front crankshaft seal was also weaping, covering everything in a thick layer of oil and muck which wonít have helped the longevity of the loom components inside.

Given that it is a low voltage circuit, it will be be doomed to fail at some point in the future if I donít go to the trouble of extracting both sides of the loom, putting them on my bench, degreasing, cleaning and resoldering the terminals. Hopefully it will see her sparking away for another 35 years.

IP Logged

ged in oz

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #5 - 06/03/19 at 18:04:45
Post Tools
Sejati wrote on 06/03/19 at 11:14:06:
Thanks for this sharing. Mine have this same issue as well.

Another question, how about the 6 pin square power connector with different color, which mounted front of the frame.
And also for relay socket with mounting.
Anyone knows where to get it ?

Thanks in advance.

Im not too sure about any of those items Sejati, but Moto Bins have an array of replacement loom sections that would be worth checking out and the Euro Motoelectrics where I have just ordered my connectors from might be worth checking as well.

https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/category-s/2955.htm

IP Logged

Sejati
YaBB Newbies

1982 R65LS

Reply #6 - 06/03/19 at 19:58:16
Post Tools
ged in oz wrote on 06/03/19 at 18:04:45:
Sejati wrote on 06/03/19 at 11:14:06:

Im not too sure about any of those items Sejati, but Moto Bins have an array of replacement loom sections that would be worth checking out and the Euro Motoelectrics where I have just ordered my connectors from might be worth checking as well.

https://www.euromotoelectrics.com/category-s/2955.htm

Below the pic

IP Logged

Tony Smith
God Member

Graduate, Wallace and
Gromit School of Engineering

Reply #7 - 06/04/19 at 02:46:23
Post Tools
The JPT plugs and sockets can be bought form RS-Online in Australia.

They are expensive for what they are, I did hunt down the correct pugs and sockets once, now I would simply replace the plug and socket with a reasonably durable automotive connector.

1978 R100RS| 1984 R65 | 1992 KLE500 | 2002 R1150GSA

IP Logged

ged in oz

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - 06/16/19 at 19:12:19
Post Tools
Thanks for everyoneís assistance on this.

I ended up using a connector kit from EME in Denver and it all worked out swimmingly!

The male connector from the bean can does actually fit the female connector from the ignition module, but I ended up changing both anyway given that the female end had also done 35 odd years of service.

EME also sell the loom section from the ignition module to the female bean can connector as well, and buying that whole section is a slightly easier solution.

Those connectors are apparently supposed to be crimped and you could probably get away with that without the proper crimping tool if you absolutely needed to, but I donít trust low voltage crimped connections anywhere, so I soldered them.

The only other issue I encountered was that the rubber shroud supplied for the male connector had a rear entry for 3 side by side conductors whereas the wiring on my bean can used a single insulted wire, so I had to modify the shroud accordingly which probably compromises its watertightness... You could maybe reuse the original shroud with its single rear entry, but I wasnít sure I could get it to squeeze over the connector plug and itís 35 years old as well.

Anyway, another little problem solved and hopefully it will have 35 more years of trouble free operation.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint