Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Pawl Spring Victory! (Read 42 times)
Luca
YaBB Newbies

I Love YaBB 2!

Pawl Spring Victory!
09/01/20 at 20:12:06
Post Tools
Well, after some snafu's ordering from Motobins, my parts finally came in.  I decided not to make my own puller in the interest of time.  I found a new Matra puller locally for a comparable price to the cycleworks puller.  I know the cycleworks tool is good (and maybe even easier to use), but there's something sexy about factory special tools.

The rear input shaft bearing has a very slight raspiness, but not enough to halt the job.  Here are some pics at the halfway point.  I got the job done in a workday, including new seals, boots, and a little rustoleum brushed on the frame to quell some of the rust that has developed in hard to reach areas over the years.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/D5y5Q85tW9eJ2La2A
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Xf2DTR7uLyJ7Gjss6

P.S. I wonder how much re-shimming is actually required when you change only bearings. The bearings in our transmissions are probably manufactured to ten-thousandths of an inch tolerances.  I suspect the shims make up for rear cover machining more than anything else

IP Logged

Tony Smith
God Member

Graduate, Wallace and
Gromit School of Engineering

Re: Pawl Spring Victory!
Reply #1 - 09/02/20 at 17:14:52
Post Tools
You are correct in respect to the manufacturer's tolerance, particularly if you use the same brand of bearings you find in the gearbox.

But.

On the couple of functioning gearboxes I have pulled apart of other reasons (eg broken pawl spring, dropped oil channel etc) I reckon BMW (or Getrag) set them up on the tight side.

As I prefer to rebuild with semi-sealed bearings a re-shim is mandatory.

Cycle works is an excellent source of shims, much cheaper than BMW

1978 R100RS| 1981 R100RS (JPS) | 1984 R65 | 1992 KLE500 | 2002 R1150GSA |

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint