Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Global Announcement Host Move Complete - I PROMISE!!! (Read 453 times)
Justin B.
YaBB Administrator

I love my Beemers

Host Move Complete - I PROMISE!!!
04/30/17 at 00:20:29
Post Tools
I have finally got the forum moved over to a new host and it works, for the most part.  I ran into major issues getting the files transferred as the old host seemed to be unable to provide the type of backup I needed.  I was forced to manually transfer over 40000 files and I am sure I have missed a few.

The forum at least comes up and I have been "myself" since I logged in, and the time is correct at the top! Grin

The problems you might run into is getting an error opening an old thread.  The error message will include a file name in the form of XXXXXXXXXX.TXT.  If you run into any of these PM me the filename and I will pull it over from the old server and put it here where it belongs.

There also might be some attachments that got "lost" and if you run into one that says it has been deleted PM me that filename as well.

The forum feels a bit peppier on this new host so lets all hope for the best.
« Last Edit: 05/01/17 at 14:24:31 by Justin B. »  

Justin B.

2004 BMW R1150RT
1981 R100RT - Summer bike, NEKKID!!!
IP Logged

Justin B.
YaBB Administrator

I love my Beemers

Re: Host Move Complete - Sorta
Reply #1 - 04/30/17 at 11:41:47
Post Tools
I have been going through the forum error log and when I see somebody tries to access a topic with a file missing it gets logged.  I look this file up on the "old" host and copy it over.  Hopefully as time goes by the frequency of these boo-boos will decrease dramatically.

Justin B.

2004 BMW R1150RT
IP Logged

Justin B.
YaBB Administrator

I love my Beemers

Reply #2 - 05/01/17 at 13:59:47
Post Tools
After doing a more detailed file comparison between old and new forum it became clear that several thousand messages failed to transfer.  I discovered that the host server apache process is configured to truncate file listing after 7998 files so that was all the files filezilla (ftp program) could see and copy.  Since the old site is "dead" I moved files out in groups of 5000 (to be safe) into seperate directories, copied them down to my PC, then up to the new host.  This process is now complete and I'm pretty sure everything made it, this time!

Justin B.

2004 BMW R1150RT
IP Logged

Justin B.
YaBB Administrator

I love my Beemers

Reply #3 - 05/01/17 at 14:21:41
Post Tools
Oh, 18443 files associated with discussion threads and PMs.  The attachments are over 2 GB.  This evening the forum will be back down for a short time while I do a full backup.

Justin B.

2004 BMW R1150RT
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint